Good restaurants in not so good locations

9,872 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by CharlieMac
Kendall Rogers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For about 10 years I pulled right into Fargo's parking lot off of Texas Ave. and walked into the front door. Was there another entrance on the side or something?
BCStalk
I don't know why I'm thinking there were two buildings on that lot.
NativeTxn
quote:
quote:
The Fargo's old address was:

BRYAN: Fargo's Pit BBQ
1220 N Texas Ave Ste A
Bryan, TX 77803
979-778-3662
Open Tues-Sat 11-7

About as close to Texas Ave as you can get.

You are aware that they were not directly on Texas. They were behind a building on Texas if I remember right.
No. Their front door was no more than 25 feet from Texas Ave at the old location. You can't get much closer to "on Texas Avenue" than that without being in the street!
dgonzo99
Sweet Bakery has opened in the Oldtown Boonville Shopping Center close Amish Furniture in Bryan.
Goose83
AG
quote:
Some of you must live very sheltered lives to say that Shannons is located in a bad part of town. I guess if it's not a chain restaurant on University Drive or Texas Avenue, it's not a good location.

I wouldn't exactly call it the high rent district, either. And I found the food to be just okay (maybe I just happened to stop by on an off day).
Frio Cielo

That's Texas Avenue in the foreground and the parking lot in front.....awlful close to Texas Ave. I guess it cold be closer.
BCStalk
Yup I had to drive by it a minute ago to remember. I don't know why I remember it on a side street.
Goose83
AG
quote:
You can beat a bad location with good food, good service, and reasonable prices. Before Kluay Kluay, Dragon One was doing fine before the owner's legal problems started. I think Kluay will be fine if they keep up what they're doing. Before Swamp Tails, Garpez had trouble because I think Sal extended himself too much and couldn't really decide what he wanted that location to be. Swamp Tails will also be fine if they keep up what they're doing.

Poor food, poor service, and unreasonable prices can beat a good location. Take the revolving door where Good Time Charleys was. Every other restaurant in downtown Bryan is doing fine - even the grumpy Mr. G's - but that one location has had some really poor showings.

The restaurants that have been at the Good Time Charleys location have been a mixed bag - After all, Papa Perez did well there for years.

And Good time Charleys was there for over a year. Don't know much about the place that was there after Charley's, as it came and went pretty fast.

In regards to Taz, I heard that they just got overextended (which was a shame, as I much preferred it to the College Station location in all aspects).

And for The Local, well, that one should be presented in college level business classes as the textbook example of how not to run a business.

halibut sinclair
The front door of the old Fargo's was like 10 feet from Texas Ave.

You do realize you are all being caught up in one of Techno's trolling webs.
techno-ag
AG
quote:

No. The old Fargo's was not really a store on Texas Ave. The new one is. Those who like to argue semantics and engage in e-fights about piddly things will throw a fit to stroke their egos.
C XX I

quote:
No. The old Fargo's was not really a store on Texas Ave.
They were a business that sold things (aka a store - in fact, since you couldn't dine in, "store" is probably the best word for what they were), and were less than 25 feet from Texas Ave, with a Texas Ave address, with nothing between them and Texas Ave but a busted parking lot. Fargos was 5x more "on Texas Ave" than Torchys. Their sign faced Texas Ave. Their entrance faced Texas Ave (new one does not). They were more "on Texas Ave" than the new location is.
Frio Cielo
quote:
quote:

No. The old Fargo's was not really a store on Texas Ave. The new one is. Those who like to argue semantics and engage in e-fights about piddly things will throw a fit to stroke their egos.
Actually they were not a store. You would go inside and give a person some money in the goodness of your heart as it looked light they needed some help paying their electricity bill.

In the goodness of their heart, the person would give you some free BBQ and sides as you looked hungry.

It works. Somewhere the good book says something about who is your neighbor....
techno-ag
AG
quote:
They were more "on Texas Ave" than the new location is.
Strongly disagree. The new location is head and tails above their old one. It's also on a better intersection.
C XX I
quote:
The new location is head and tails above their old one. It's also on a better intersection.

Sure, I don't disagree with those points; however, they both have nothing at all to do with whether or not the old Fargos was on Texas.

Their store faced Texas.
Their signs faced Texas.
Their address was on Texas.
Their parking lot entrance was on Texas.
Their building was unobstructed by any other buildings from Texas.
mgreen
Wow. I typed two words hours ago- Fargos. BBQ- and seem to have derailed the entire thread.
C XX I
quote:
Wow. I typed two words hours ago- Fargos. BBQ- and seem to have derailed the entire thread.
No, Techno did. I've never had a problem with him until this thread - I always felt like this board ganged up on him and that he wasn't as bad as most posters claimed. And then I saw this insanity. He was wrong - made a simple error - and decided to derail an entire thread instead of admit it. Now I understand.
jja79
AG
Since the move I think Fargo's has really gone downhill.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
No, Techno did. I've never had a problem with him until this thread - I always felt like this board ganged up on him and that he wasn't as bad as most posters claimed. And then I saw this insanity. He was wrong - made a simple error - and decided to derail an entire thread instead of admit it. Now I understand.
Fine. To make peace, I will say the old Fargo's was in the absolute greatest location right on Texas Avenue for all time.

Hope we can still be friends.
BlueMiles
AG
Techno, where do you think Fargo's was?
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Since the move I think Fargo's has really gone downhill.
That's a different thread.
C XX I
I think the current Fargos location is great. Anyways.
FlyRod
In the words of Ron Swanson, "What is happening here?"
FlyRod
NM.
halibut sinclair
This thread is a great example of why techo should have gotten a permaban a long time ago.
Hammerheadjim
AG
Why would you say La Riviera is in a bad place. Its on Texas, close to the University, plenty of parking, easily visible from the main road and has easy in/out access. The bulk of the restaurants listed seem to be in Bryan. Do people in College Station really have a problem driving 3-4 miles further to get some of the best food in the area?
NativeTxn
quote:
Why would you say La Riviera is in a bad place. Its on Texas, close to the University, plenty of parking, easily visible from the main road and has easy in/out access. The bulk of the restaurants listed seem to be in Bryan. Do people in College Station really have a problem driving 3-4 miles further to get some of the best food in the area?
Admittedly I do not eat out a ton, but when I do, I don't mind driving to either end of Bryan or College station, or anywhere else for that matter, for some good food.It's just that I forget La Riviera is even there. I'm not sure what the problem is, but it just doesn't stand out unless I drive through that shopping center for some reason. I can't recall ever seeing any advertising to remind me, either.
biobioprof
quote:
quote:
The Fargo's old address was:

BRYAN: Fargo's Pit BBQ
1220 N Texas Ave Ste A
Bryan, TX 77803
979-778-3662
Open Tues-Sat 11-7

About as close to Texas Ave as you can get.

You are aware that they were not directly on Texas. They were behind a building on Texas if I remember right.
My recollection is that they were in a tiny blue building that was on Texas just S of 21. Definitely visible from Texas.

Edit to add: clearly I didn't read all the posts before replying.
Brewmaster
AG
I'm sorry didn't realize Shannon's was in your hood. It's great food, but not exactly a low crime area.
AgSportsFan
AG
They were not behind a building at all. The old building faced Texas Ave.
malibu9in1
They were on Texas before. Not behind any building.
thefarcus
In response to fargos, that location makes it! I drove by one day and out of curiosity stopped. Wouldn't have stopped if it was in a strip center.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
In response to fargos, that location makes it! I drove by one day and out of curiosity stopped. Wouldn't have stopped if it was in a strip center.
Agreed. Much better frontage now.
FlyRod
atm86
AG
You might want to check out Remnants of Nawleans. If you can find it. GREAT Cajun food very fairly priced. Corner of Welsh and Holleman in the Checkers store.

Edit: it's takeout only.
Tailgate88
AG
Looking forward to trying Swamp Tails but can confirm Remnants has great food.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.