Swamp Tails Cajun Restaurant and Bar

53,287 Views | 259 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by LastHamlet
mizzah
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just moved here from a little further north, and of course when I heard of a good Cajun restaurant in town, I had to try it. My mom is from New Orleans, and I've grown up on some pretty amazing gumbo, red beans and rice, etc. My boyfriend and I went on a whim, early one night. It was fairly empty (though like I said, it was kinda early to entice a dinner crowd), but that's fine. We had boudin balls (my first time having them), and I would eat these basically every day for the rest of my life, they were so good. I had the red beans & rice (because I'm a sucker to comparing them to my mom's), and don't ever tell her I said this, but Swamp Tails has her beat. My boyfriend had the alligator poboy which was delicious as well. The wait staff was excellent and didn't even blink an eye when I asked them to change the TV in front of us to a different game!

Can't wait to go back and have the pound cake with whiskey sauce, as they were out already by the time we got there!

MiMi
S
They are currently closed for the holiday break. We went for dinner on their last day open (Dec 19). I spoke with the owner while there and he said and they are reopening on Jan 4 with a new menu.
CactusThomas
AG
I was there tonight. They were pretty open.
Jayjay4268
AG
Can you post some pictures of the new menu?
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
I guess he's not master of his brew domain. Beer freezes around 27-28 degrees.
LOL halibut,

I brew my own and have for about 8 years now. Beer forms a chill haze where proteins and tannins precipitate out (more common the closer you get to 30 degrees). It also kills the perceived flavors of the beer. Neither are desirable, but here in the U.S. light beer drinkers just want ice cold beer. I brew everything from light to dark depending on the season. Coffee stouts (winter), Irish Red, Summer Blonde - those are my go to beers.

Sorry, I know this gets slowest reply ever award!

Making me thirsty!

techno-ag
AG
I'm at you're next TexAgs get together.
FlyRod
Brewmaster
AG
quote:

Sounds like a plan! I know a group used to meet at Carney's.
halibut sinclair
quote:
*your
montegobay
They took our favorite thing off the menu : crab au gratin. Menu is smaller and more expensive. So sad! They are for sure doing themselves in.
Claire91
We went in recently and noticed a few menu changes. I spoke with the manager about it and they said they had to change some things up that weren't sell as well. They added a few new items but prices hadn't changed. I'm sad to see the crab au gratin go too but it makes sense I guess. I do like the addition of happy hour snacks though!
montegobay
We did go to Saltgrass last night and were pleasantly surprised to see that they have a delicious seafood fondue. I guess that will have to do for now.
nashvilleaggie11
I talked to a Cajun friend who went recently for the first time and they said it was bad. Portions were small, food was not authentic Cajun, extra charge for white sandwich bread that was mean to go with the BBQ shrimp appetizer... safe to say I won't be trying this place
BlueMiles
AG
You must really like this person. I generally like to make up my own mind about a place. I like what they are trying to do here.
susieq30

For the person who complained about the prices at Swamp Tails, on the back of the menu there is a lunch menu that they serve all day every day. I got blackened catfish with cajun mashed potatoes last night for $7.99. There are a number of choices on the lunch menu. The last time I tried the etouffee on spicy cheese grits and it was delicious. But you would need to order a salad or appetizer with that one because it was not quite enough food.
LastHamlet
AG
quote:
I talked to a Cajun friend who went recently for the first time and they said it was bad. Portions were small, food was not authentic Cajun, extra charge for white sandwich bread that was mean to go with the BBQ shrimp appetizer... safe to say I won't be trying this place
If a Cajun friend told you that then it must be true.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.