Denial of Service

42,088 Views | 282 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
Kashchei
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why hasn't this thread died yet? Geez people...
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
Why hasn't this thread died yet? Geez people...
Reasons such as that post and this one I would say.

originaltexan
Just say no
nwspmp
quote:
One thing everyone can agree on, is that this was a victimless crime.
You mean aside from the woman who was illegally refused entry because she has a handicap that requires a guide dog and had to deal with a Navasota PD that doesn't know the laws that they have to enforce (and evidently couldn't look up) and had differing stories from the management in Dallas which issued a non-apology by the press?

Whoop04
Ok, one victim (two counting the dog). Still, that's pretty good, you have to admit.
The Anchor
AG
quote:
quote:
You mean aside from the woman who was illegally refused entry because she has a handicap that requires a guide dog and had to deal with a Navasota PD that doesn't know the laws that they have to enforce (and evidently couldn't look up) and had differing stories from the management in Dallas which issued a non-apology by the press?

Someone didn't get the joke.

Inb4igotthejokebutimstillangry
nwspmp
quote:
quote:
quote:

Someone didn't get the joke.

Inb4igotthejokebutimstillangry
________+______
The joke ^

________+______
Me ^

Post removed:
by user
originaltexan
I thought she said
happyinBCS
I started a thread to help a totally blind helpless little boy, and I totally appreciate the Aggie nation for helping with your voting, and he will not get a Van, but I am so amazed this thread is still going the numbers are insane
happyinBCS
12k hits vs 3 k hits God bless us all
PS3D
quote:
I started a thread to help a totally blind helpless little boy, and I totally appreciate the Aggie nation for helping with your voting, and he will not get a Van, but I am so amazed this thread is still going the numbers are insane

Because some people would rather rip a local business a new one instead of trying offer genuine help. Blue star for you.
happyinBCS
FYI I carried my brother a totally disabled vet to the VA hospital in Houston( he passed last year) for many years and we had a few problems when I would take him to lunch but it can all be worked out. I still believe in the human spirit, no one wants to hurt or demine anyone unless they are evil.
nwspmp
quote:
quote:

Because some people would rather rip a local business a new one instead of trying offer genuine help. Blue star for you.
I think it was more along the lines of a local business decided to figuratively crap on a disabled patron illegally and there are still some in this world that think it's wrong.

Perhaps if the MB-Can-Do-No-Wrong crowd had stepped up in happy's thread, it might have turned out differently.

HappyinBCS, I'm sorry that the contest ended as it did, and just because we didn't post in that thread, doesn't mean we didn't vote and try! Bless you for the work you've done and hopefully there'll be a way soon!
happyinBCS
Thanks to all, please forgive me, I in no way was trying to hijack a thread God bless
PS3D
quote:
quote:
quote:

I think it was more along the lines of a local business decided to figuratively crap on a disabled patron illegally and there are still some in this world that think it's wrong.

Perhaps if the MB-Can-Do-No-Wrong crowd had stepped up in happy's thread, it might have turned out differently.

HappyinBCS, I'm sorry that the contest ended as it did, and just because we didn't post in that thread, doesn't mean we didn't vote and try! Bless you for the work you've done and hopefully there'll be a way soon!

Please try to find me a post from more than one person who said MB did nothing wrong.
originaltexan
lots of rain keepin' everything green
eric76
AG
quote:
Why not let everyone bring their dogs. Problem solved!
People come up with all kinds of fake service dogs and because of the law, it is nearly impossible to tell which are real service dogs and which are not.

Of course, if the dog is acting up, then it is not a service dog and can be evicted. Sometimes real service animals may act up and I think they can then be evicted, but that is relatively uncommon.

On the other hand, if they have some other animal and claim it is a service animal, then it is not and it has no such protection except for miniature horses in limited circumstances. There is no such thing as a service cat, service parakeet, service ferret, service llama, service gerbils, ... .

Earlier this year in Idaho, a cop shot and killed a bogus service dog. The owner made a big deal about it being a service dog, but the dog had never had any such training and was not at all trained to be around people.
eric76
AG
quote:
The fact that so many people "qualify" is a problem. I am sure the MB staff may have run into other folks claiming their dogs are service dogs. I have actually dealt with folks that will pitch a huge fit because they can't bring their "anxiety service dogs" into ICU or post op!!
To be a service dog, the dog must have been trained to perform some service on behalf of the person. There is no such thing as an anxiety service dog and any such dog and owner should be kicked out on their butts.
eric76
AG
quote:
I know someone who has a "service" dog. Basically all he had to do was fill out some paperwork and jump through a hoop or two, and voila. But whether or not a dog is a service dog or not isn't really the issue here. They said in the article the dog was appropriately labeled, so I'm not sure there was any confusion over whether or not the dog was actually a service dog.
It's not a service dog. Don't let it in.

By the way, many of the people with fake service dogs buy all kinds of crap for them to wear to make them appear to be service dogs. They aren't.
eric76
AG
quote:
quote:
The fact that so many people "qualify" is a problem. I am sure the MB staff may have run into other folks claiming their dogs are service dogs. I have actually dealt with folks that will pitch a huge fit because they can't bring their "anxiety service dogs" into ICU or post op!!

For whatever reason, people now get "service animals" for almost anything (where as they were originally only for things such as a physical disability, blindness, etc.), but now they are for claims that the animal keeps them from having a panic attack or some other mental issue. And they don't just have dogs. They have everything from dogs, to cats, to birds, to large animals like horses.

Now, I don't know what happened at the restaurant as I was not there, so as to this particular incident, I have no comment.

If the animal doesn't PERFORM a service on behalf of the person than it is not a service dog. And there are no such things as service cats, service birds, ... .

In some cases, there is legal protection for a service miniature horse. I think that is for people who are allergic to dogs.

I should point out that there is an exception. Airlines must provide for dogs to help with things like anxiety. Whoever came up with that BS ought to be voted out of office. And anyone who voted for it, too.
eric76
AG
quote:
Don't get the "investigating" issue at all. The Texas law on service animals is pretty clear:
Sec. 121.004. PENALTIES FOR AND DAMAGES RESULTING FROM DISCRIMINATION. (a) A person, including a firm, association, corporation, or other public or private organization, or the agent of the person, who violates a provision of
Section 121.003 commits an offense. An offense under this subsection is a misdemeanor punishable by:(1) a fine of not more than $300; and(2) 30 hours of community service to be performed for a governmental
entity or nonprofit organization that primarily serves persons with
visual impairments or other disabilities, or for another entity or
organization at the discretion of the court, to be completed in not more
than one year.
(b) In addition to the penalty provided in Subsection (a), a person, including a
firm, association, corporation, or other public or private
organization, or the agent of the person, who violates the provisions of
Section 121.003 is deemed to have deprived a person with a disability of his or her
civil liberties. The person with a disability deprived of his or her
civil liberties may maintain a cause of action for damages in a court of
competent jurisdiction, and there is a conclusive presumption of
damages in the amount of at least $300 to the person with a disability.

There are criminal and criminal actions possible in this case.

There is also possible DOJ involvement to prosecute on Federal charges.
eric76
AG
quote:
Still. I don't see a need for the criminal side.
While I think the service dog/animal thing is out if control and too many claim theirs is one, a seeing eye dog (guide dog) is pretty obvious and needed.
Maybe the staff and management never watched Sesame Street or mr Rodgers and thus never were exposed to or made aware of the sight impaired and their dogs.

That said, in my opinion, I think calling NPD was an unnecessary escalation as was the social media attempted lynching. Is any restaurant worth having the police force them and fine them into serving you? I wouldn't eat there.

Instead I would (as she claims to have done) tried to explain, calmly) what the law is. Once that doesn't work, leave and contact whoever is I charge of ADA and let them write/inform the management of their error.

tl/dr:
Both sides made mistakes and this could have been handled better.

What mistakes do you think the woman with the guide dog made?
eric76
AG
quote:
So I'm curious. What's the correct government office if it's not the police?
I believe it is the Department of Justice in Washington, DC. They will take it seriously and they do know the law.
eric76
AG
quote:
First off, the law that allows service dogs into restaurants was only signed into law in summer 2013

Maybe the statutes under state law were signed then, but the ADA has been around quite a while. Regardless of state law, the ADA already required restaurants to allow patrons to bring legitimate service dogs into the restaurants.
unmade bed
Eric

Has your internet been down since June?
eric76
AG
quote:
Eric

I just hadn't seen this thread before.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:
Eric

Good grief, talk about blasting the past.
eric76
AG
quote:
quote:
Eric

Good grief, talk about blasting the past.
It's less than four months. I consider that to be current.

Besides, bozos with fake service dogs is a pet peeve of mine. This was obviously not a fake service dog, but merely a case of clueless idiots running a restaurant.
AggieBarstool
This necro-bump reminds me I haven't been to MB in a while. I'll make a point to go this weekend.
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
Eric

LMAO, made my day...blue star Eric!
eric76
AG
quote:
quote:
Eric

LMAO, made my day...blue star Eric!
Credit should go where credit is due. That was unmade bed who said that, not me.

I wish I had said it, though.
techno-ag
AG
That poor gal was treated very poorly. Thanks for the reminder.
halibut sinclair
jafo4349
It was more than one employee making a mistake. I believe it was the manager and the waiter. I'd nail them to the way as well JUST FOR BEING SO IGNORANT. Who is this world today doesn't know a service animal can go ANYWHERE it's handler can? No excuse for ignorance.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.