Denial of Service

42,089 Views | 282 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
Joe Schillaci 48
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
we see this occasionally with veterans and first responders --- they are used to getting praised and sometimes getting special perks --- and when they don't get it...

This may not be the dumbest statement ever placed on social media but I am pretty sure it ranks among the top ten.

unmade bed
quote:
quote:
we see this occasionally with veterans and first responders --- they are used to getting praised and sometimes getting special perks --- and when they don't get it...

This may not be the dumbest statement ever placed on social media but I am pretty sure it ranks among the top ten.

Yeah I was assuming the person that posted that was being facetious. If not, what an ass hole
Scruffy
AG
I've seen it.
It's not uncommon.

It pisses off a lot of my buddies who also went over and fought.
PS3D
quote:
quote:
Still. I don't see a need for the criminal side.
While I think the service dog/animal thing is out if control and too many claim theirs is one, a seeing eye dog (guide dog) is pretty obvious and needed.
Maybe the staff and management never watched Sesame Street or mr Rodgers and thus never were exposed to or made aware of the sight impaired and their dogs.

That said, in my opinion, I think calling NPD was an unnecessary escalation as was the social media attempted lynching. Is any restaurant worth having the police force them and fine them into serving you? I wouldn't eat there.

Instead I would (as she claims to have done) tried to explain, calmly) what the law is. Once that doesn't work, leave and contact whoever is I charge of ADA and let them write/inform the management of their error.

tl/dr:
Both sides made mistakes and this could have been handled better.
I disagree both sides made mistakes. The restaurant was clearly in the wrong here. The disabled lady did nothing wrong.
Yeah right. Sounds like she knew her rights, and if the restaurant didn't work, and the police didn't work, she should've called the right government office, not taking it to the local media/social media and finding Internet lynch mobs to the dirty work. It reminds me of idiots on Tumblr believing that if you're a minority (black, women, LGBT, disabled) you can do no wrong, and that is absolutely untrue.
jrhmc
AG
So I'm curious. What's the correct government office if it's not the police? I don't see this being any different from someone having terrible service at any customer service based business and putting that on social media which is what Yelp and other review sites are for. She has accomplished her stated purpose of raising awareness of this issue and really wasn't very mean about it. I've seen people be more rude over the lack of sauce and forks at another local establishment.
StringerBell
AG
She didn't find an Internet lynch mob. She posted her thoughts online and people reacted.

I don't see why people are making a big deal about this. Folks on this board post bad reviews of places all the time both on this board and on their own personal Facebook pages.

If you were blatantly discriminated against what would you do? Would you just sit back smile and go stand in a line to complain?
techno-ag
AG
It is perfectly acceptable to seek redress in social media, especially in light of the fact so few on here seem to have an issue with the restaurant's actions toward her.
PS3D
quote:
She didn't find an Internet lynch mob. She posted her thoughts online and people reacted.

I don't see why people are making a big deal about this. Folks on this board post bad reviews of places all the time both on this board and on their own personal Facebook pages.

If you were blatantly discriminated against what would you do? Would you just sit back smile and go stand in a line to complain?

"Blatantly discriminated against"? Uh, no, and if that was similar to the words she used, then shame on her. The business was probably unaware of state laws about allowing guide dogs in. That isn't discrimination, even if your victim complex thinks so. No one posting about bad service in a restaurant has tried to make it a discrimination or criminal issue, at least with a straight face.

Depending on the wording of the complaint, either you guys are making a big deal out of a mistake (which was resolved) or she's milking the victim card. I sincerely hope it's the former.
StringerBell
AG
Definition of discrimination: treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.

They denied her service based on her status as a disabled person. The dog is essentially her cane.

If the restaurant owners or management don't know about Ada laws then they are incredibly dumb and deserve to be held accountable for the lack of knowledge of standard operating procedures.

This was not just bad service. This was denial of service based on who she is. If someone denied you service arbitrarily and illegally based on part of your identity wouldn't you find every avenue to complain?

I just don't see why what she did was wrong. I also don't see why you are so upset that a person decided to raise concerns about illegal treatment to the media.

Ignorance of the law does not make the mistake any more palatable.

AggieDarlin
AG
I don't buy "ignorance of the law". It's 2015. Only a supreme idiot would think to turn away a blind person with a service dog. Were these people raised in caves?
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:

"Blatantly discriminated against"? Uh, no, and if that was similar to the words she used, then shame on her. The business was probably unaware of state laws about allowing guide dogs in. That isn't discrimination, even if your victim complex thinks so. No one posting about bad service in a restaurant has tried to make it a discrimination or criminal issue, at least with a straight face.

Depending on the wording of the complaint, either you guys are making a big deal out of a mistake (which was resolved) or she's milking the victim card. I sincerely hope it's the former.
Dude, she's not playing the victim card. She is sincerely disabled and her rights were trampled on. I've seen more outrage over debit card fees. What a sheltered life so many posters seem to be living. Have some compassion for the less fortunate who have been wronged here.
PS3D
quote:
Dude, she's not playing the victim card. She is sincerely disabled and her rights were trampled on. I've seen more outrage over debit card fees. What a sheltered life so many posters seem to be living. Have some compassion for the less fortunate who have been wronged here.

OK. Let's go with the working hypothesis that she isn't. First off, the law that allows service dogs into restaurants was only signed into law in summer 2013, and while I learned it is technically a criminal offense (up to $300 fine or 30 hrs. community service--which is less than, say, a DUI), most of what I have a problem with is going to the media instead of working up the chain of command (because the Internet/social media/etc. is the supreme law of the land, amirite?) and the ridiculous hyperbole the Internet lynch mobs (i.e. people like you) use: Rights! Trampled on! DISCRIMINATION!

I can understood some small-town waitress not being aware of the law, but really, it's the Navasota PD being in the wrong for not properly being trained on this aspect of the law.

I'm not interested in poo-flinging (seeing as how the better word is censored), but I think it's funny that those that are shouting the loudest and attempting to invalidate others with the "you're not disabled, stfu" treatment are also non-blind, able-bodied people themselves.
StringerBell
AG
I still don't see why you are so outraged as to how she handled it.
FlyRod
I for one am impressed by this compassion ephipeny on techno's part. No, seriously.
rhoswen
AG
That's just it. We're not the ones "outraged."
PS3D
quote:
I still don't see why you are so outraged as to how she handled it.

I gave her the benefit of the doubt (mostly) but that doesn't excuse the flapping and honking of the mob.
StringerBell
AG
Hmm. I'll disagree with you there. p sounds outraged in his posts.

But a better question is why do you care? Why do you care that this is how she chose to handle a situation in which she was wronged?
StringerBell
AG
I'm not overreacting.

I might not have handled it the same way but I think she's perfectly justified in what she did.
PS3D
Eh, maybe I'm the same way you are, just bored and wanted to vent over a meaningless local issue. Guess I'm not so different...
StringerBell
AG
All good
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:

OK. Let's go with the working hypothesis that she isn't. First off, the law that allows service dogs into restaurants was only signed into law in summer 2013, and while I learned it is technically a criminal offense (up to $300 fine or 30 hrs. community service--which is less than, say, a DUI), most of what I have a problem with is going to the media instead of working up the chain of command (because the Internet/social media/etc. is the supreme law of the land, amirite?) and the ridiculous hyperbole the Internet lynch mobs (i.e. people like you) use: Rights! Trampled on! DISCRIMINATION!

I can understood some small-town waitress not being aware of the law, but really, it's the Navasota PD being in the wrong for not properly being trained on this aspect of the law.

I'm not interested in poo-flinging (seeing as how the better word is censored), but I think it's funny that those that are shouting the loudest and attempting to invalidate others with the "you're not disabled, stfu" treatment are also non-blind, able-bodied people themselves.
Come on. It defies common sense that you would be outraged that people are upset over this. On this board alone people are constantly upset over minor restaurant slights. This is a major slight. It involves real disability and real discrimination.

Instead of compassion and concern over the violation of rights this poor woman experienced, you folks are presenting faux outrage over her exercising social media prowess. How hypocritical. When a restaurant or other business in town ticks you off, y'all are so quick to use the same methods to seek redress. Then when a blind woman is denied entry and service to a restaurant you brush it off. She's blind! For crying out loud she's not using a millennial victim card!
PS3D
quote:
quote:
quote:

Come on. It defies common sense that you would be outraged that people are upset over this. On this board alone people are constantly upset over minor restaurant slights. This is a major slight. It involves real disability and real discrimination.

Instead of compassion and concern over the violation of rights this poor woman experienced, you folks are presenting faux outrage over her exercising social media prowess. How hypocritical. When a restaurant or other business in town ticks you off, y'all are so quick to use the same methods to seek redress. Then when a blind woman is denied entry and service to a restaurant you brush it off. She's blind! For crying out loud she's not using a millennial victim card!

I haven't complained about debit fees in restaurants nor sympathized with them. I don't actively engage in smear campaigns of restaurants (ok, I got a bit into the Eccell thing, I'm sorry).

Anyway, if you're trying to argue on moral high ground issues, can I bring up your unwavering support of Sharp and outsourcing, and all the drama with that? No?
FlyRod
This is getting interesting and a tad weird. I've been doing business with Martha's Bloomers for years and this incident isn't going to change that. I've found the staff polite and friendly and nice. If they made a mistake, they should own up and move on.
But I think it's fair and reasonable to discuss whether the aggrieved person's reaction was over the top, because this is a discussion board. Contrary and unpopular opinions will have their say here for better or worse. We shouldn't try and censor that.
techno-ag
AG
Come on man. Have some compassion. You know that kicking a blind woman out of a restaurant is completely different over arguments about Sharp,
Chazz03
AG
ADA Act is a 25 year old law. MB should have known most of the provisions as an employer who has to make reasonable accommodations for disabled employees. Ignorance on MB's side is not acceptable. The revised regulations that went into effect in 2010 actually, clarified the definition of service animal to eliminate the people taking advantage of the law with service snakes or what ever.
AggieBarstool
I wonder how much longer the Internet Outrage Police are going to keep crying "DISCRIMINATION OMG SHOULDN'T THEY KNOW BETTER..." ?

The restaurant admitted wrongdoing and is correcting the problem with training. What more is there? Some trite offering as apology? "All people who bring a service animal on the 23rd of the month get a free dessert" or some such BS?
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
ADA Act is a 25 year old law. MB should have known most of the provisions as an employer who has to make reasonable accommodations for disabled employees. Ignorance on MB's side is not acceptable. The revised regulations that went into effect in 2010 actually, clarified the definition of service animal to eliminate the people taking advantage of the law with service snakes or what ever.
again, again, again..no one is sticking up for them refusing to serve her. I, and others are just against the "internet lynching." How can you sit here and blame the business, when the officers didn't even know what to do. MB told her that health code didn't allow animals. Yes, that is no excuse for not knowing that ADA supersedes it, but they thought they were doing right by the health code.

The lady was not being discriminated against for being blind. It is a simple case of people being ignorant of ADA law. She should have spoken with the owner of MB, and with a superior in the police/sherrif dept instead of going straight to facebook/the media.

I'm not taking up for MB, I'm am just tired of people running to social media whenever they get offended by anything.

This should not have ruined her day. You go eat somewhere else, then you deal with it like an adult through the chain of command. If that stalls, then you go to the media.
StringerBell
AG
quote:
How can you sit here and blame the business, when the officers didn't even know what to do.
everyone is to blame here. the fact that the officers didnt know about its even more reason to raise awareness.

it's fascinating to me that in the era of folks saying that we should rely on the government less, we're essentially saying that she should keep her mouth shut and trust the government to do what needed to be done.

i wouldnt necessarily have handled it this way, but i dont fault her at all for how she went about it.
rhoswen
AG
Ugh that's not what we're saying at all.
StringerBell
AG
you might not be saying that but i've seen this more than a few times:

quote:
The lady was not being discriminated against for being blind. It is a simple case of people being ignorant of ADA law. She should have spoken with the owner of MB, and with a superior in the police/sherrif dept instead of going straight to facebook/the media.
quote:
most of what I have a problem with is going to the media instead of working up the chain of command
quote:
Yeah right. Sounds like she knew her rights, and if the restaurant didn't work, and the police didn't work, she should've called the right government office,
and that's just on this page.

seems like the overwhelming majority say that she should have dealt with it by going through the proper channels rather than alerting the media.

i see no issue with how she addressed it.
TexasAggie_02
AG
she should have.

Do you really think that MB said "oh, she's blind. we don't want her kind here?"

People are acting like they went out of their way to discriminate. They probably push people in wheelchairs down staircases, and park in handicap spots just for fun. [/sarcasm for the dense]

It's the "so-and-so" slighted me, so I'm going to try and ruin them attitude that is prevalent in the news media, and social media.

No one is asking for more government. They are asking for them to do their job.
StringerBell
AG
quote:
Do you really think that MB said "oh, she's blind. we don't want her kind here?"
i mean that's kind of what they did by not allowing her service dog to accompany her.
Chazz03
AG
quote:
she should have.

People are acting like they went out of their way to discriminate. They probably push people in wheelchairs down staircases, and park in handicap spots just for fun. [/sarcasm for the dense]

It's the "so-and-so" slighted me, so I'm going to try and ruin them attitude that is prevalent in the news media, and social media.

No one is asking for more government. They are asking for them to do their job.

Your points, even the sarcastic ones are the whole reason ADA act exists. People in wheelchairs in the past were being turned away bc there was no way to get the chair up stairs or. All the way across a muddy parking lot. MB does not hate blind people. In the eyes of the law however they are the ones in the wrong. Not the blind person. We're not talking about a turning away someone who chose to wear a tank top to a restaurant with a dress code here.
rhoswen
AG
Is it possible for both parties to be wrong?
Chazz03
AG
Legally. No

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.