Ok boys, just lost my fence here in south CS...

6,694 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by originaltexan
Rockdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To hire it done, what's that gonna cost me, ballpark. 155' of 6'cedar fence. About 22 post (gate). And do you guys recommend somebody? Really blew out here (Creek Meadows). Thanks
momlaw
AG
That is a fairly new development. Check with your homeowner's insurance and the adjoining neighbor with theirs. This may be covered since it is storm damage. The two of you can split costs and perhaps deductibles to maximize coverage.
95_Aggie
AG
That was some crazy wind
Rockdoc
AG
Only have a neighbor one side, and wouldn't you know it, that portion of the fence is still standing. It's all on me. And I had someone tell me if you claim on your HO insurance (less deductible anyway), that your premiums will go up because of it and ultimately won't be worth it. Does that sound right to anybody?
momlaw
AG
Talk to your agent before submitting claim. If they dodge you might need different insurance agent down the line.

Edited to add: somehow I have a recollection that if the damage is beyond your control... storm, act of God... you will not be punished with increased premiums... a question for your agent and perhaps others. Personally, I have appreciated the guidance of Bryan Massey at Liere:
  • 1604 Copperfield Pkwy #200, College Station, TX 77845(979) 776-2300
  • Rockdoc
    AG
    Momlaw, Brian is my agent too. Great guy. I'll talk to him tomorrow.
    NellCote71
    I have been working with Jason at Ace fence. Good people.
    Remy06
    Lost part of mine in creek meadows too. This will be the fifth time in 5 years we've had to fix a section of fence. I live on a corner with only one side shared with a neighbor so I get full force wind on the other 3 sides. Whoever decided using landscape timbers was a good idea is an idiot. This will be the 11th, 12th, and 13th to be replaced with 4x4s on my fence,. In my case the insurance deductible was more than the cost to just fix it.
    BlazeHarper
    The same ACE fence that thought it would be a great idea to use landscape timbers for all of the fences they put up in Castlegate instead of using a treated 4X4 ? No thanks.
    Rockdoc
    AG
    Yeah Ace did my fence when the house was built. Landscape timbers. What a joke. Of course the builder let them get away with it (or maybe even specified it, for cheapness sake).
    BlueMiles
    AG
    Right, as you surmised, Ace will use what you ask them to. The metal post ones they did for me have been fine.
    Rockdoc
    AG
    If I could find someone to do the post work, I'd do the rest. Kinda getting too old to dig post holes, but could handle the runners and pickets easily.
    originaltexan
    Specify new fence has metal posts set in concrete.

Each post is about $9.00..

The wood rots and is a bad idea.

Landscape timbers = lazy and cheap home or fence builder

4x4 descent , but often the fence guys will only dig about 8".

SPECIFY IN WRITING BEFORE YOU START ANY JOB.
    LiereInsurance
    Rockdoc - sorry to hear about your fence. Can you send me an email to bmassey@myliere.com when you get this with your "real name" so that I can give you a call as soon as possible?

Thank you momlaw for your endorsement and your kind words. We greatly appreciate your business and everything you do for us.
    welborn
    quote:
    Only have a neighbor one side, and wouldn't you know it, that portion of the fence is still standing. It's all on me. And I had someone tell me if you claim on your HO insurance (less deductible anyway), that your premiums will go up because of it and ultimately won't be worth it. Does that sound right to anybody?
    I'm an agent and that's wrong. If you'd like to turn in a claim on the fence, its most likely insured on your policy provided your agent put together a good policy for you. Its a windstorm claim, thus, your premium will not increase next year. You don't have any control over mother nature and insurance providers don't "punish" folks that have claims arising out of her actions.

The big issue is determining whether or not you can pay for it out of pocket cheaper than paying your deductible.

I would encourage you to contact someone like Ace Fencing to provide you an estimate prior to determine what you're looking at.

welborn
    And to echo what many others are saying, Builders like Stylecraft use Ace fencing for their new developments. They slap together those fences fairly quickly and cheaply at first. If you specifically request treated 4X4 or metal, they WILL DO IT.

Our first house in Westfield Village had an ACE Fence that absolutely sucked. I repaired it multiple times myself. When we built our new house, I had them come out to bid a custom fence using treated material and 2 bags of concrete per post. It cost more, but I'm not in the habit of fence repair becoming a hobby.
    bbb3434
    I used T&N Handyman here in College Station, they charged me $50 per post, they used treated 4x4's and were about half the cost of both traditional fence companies that provided quotes.
    bbb3434
    I used T&N Handyman here in College Station, they charged me $50 per post, they used treated 4x4's and were about half the cost of both traditional fence companies that provided quotes.
    originaltexan
    A good handyman can build a good fence.

Wood rots, especially if there is not a correct slope on the concrete.

Go with metal posts.

If you get a new fence, wait about 4 weeks and then seal with a Thompson's water sealer. You can do that yourself with a pump sprayer. If you have a large area, buy an extra pump sprayer. The $15 sprayers hold up for about 100 linear feet then get clogged. When clogged, throw away.
    Gigem2day
    OWNER FROM ACE FENCE HERE...

FACT - We used Landscape Timbers for several years - PER THE BUILDERS INSTRUCTIONS!!! They are driving those decisions, not us. We finally convinced all of our builders to switch to treated 4x4s in the past few years. So, if you have LST's and they are failing and breaking it's not something we chose for you. Its something your builder decided to save a few hundred bucks on at the time. Trust me when I say I don't even mention LST's to any customer, ever. They are junk. AS stated, we use what you want and always recommend Steel posts to those that can afford the jump.

JASON DEVORE
    Gigem2day
    [We are allowing you to leave up your post defending your company. Please contact us about soliciting commercial business on the site. Thank you. -Staff]
    welborn
    Jason,

You boys do great work. Believe me when I say I know what you face regarding the builders wanting to skim costs. The fence yall built for me out in Carter Lake is exactly how I wanted it and it was done perfectly.

I recommend you guys to everyone that asks.

The guys bashing your work don't know what's up.
    originaltexan
    From Hamburgers to Fences, this board has it all.
    Tailgate88
    Rockdoc
    AG
    Jason, I called you for an estimate but everybody was out. I was the OP, and while I complained about the landscape timbers, I do know it was the builders requirement. What were they thinking! And yes I've been told y'all do good work with the proper materials.
    NellCote71
    Jason from Ace Fence has been more than fair with me on a recent incident involving a neighbor "dispute." None of the misunderstanding between my neighbor and me was his fault, but he still shouldered some of my cost to make sure that I was satisfied. He also didn't try to upsell, but instead advised me against a fancy design I had in mind.
    LostInLA07
    Rockdoc
    AG
    Thanks for the help guys. Gonna get a couple of bids Monday and see if it's worth filing a claim. I feel like it will be.
    originaltexan
    Sounds like a textbook business case of accepting business or turning down business.

My opinion if I were a Mays Business Student.

Take the business from the home builder, but never put your name plate anywhere. In fact, have a separate company, "X", that takes these types of jobs.

I went into some tract houses and window were crooked. I felt like I was in a whacky shack. Moral of the story, inspect before you spend.
    originaltexan
    By the way, what happened to Elite? Haven't seen him in a while on this board.

Always impressed with Elite. Honest & good work.
    Oogway
    It has been 5+ years since Ace installed our fence, using 4x4 posts and it still looks great.
    medic1969p
    Call T at Glory Enterprises. Small local business. Honest and reliable. Will give you an estimate.
    medic1969p
    Hit return too soon. Estimate in person first
    69ag
    Call Jason, owner of Green Guys Landscaping.
    979-571-4811
    Aggie owned and operated
    EliteElectric
    quote:
    By the way, what happened to Elite? Haven't seen him in a while on this board.

Always impressed with Elite. Honest & good work.

I have been busy with a divorce and custody battle!
    Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.