Ok boys, just lost my fence here in south CS...

6,692 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by originaltexan
Brewmaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
thoughts and prayers man
RockyMountainAg
AG
Anyone who uses landscape timbers for a fence is an idiot. They are not treated for ground contact.
beefly95
quote:
FACT - We used Landscape Timbers for several years - PER THE BUILDERS INSTRUCTIONS!!!

This does not surprise me at all considering some of the builders in this town. Glad you posted, Jason
Brewmaster
AG
Even a 4x4 treated post should be stained or painted. Cetol is the only stuff to use - Chapman's on Villa Maria carries it. Behr etc. is water aka mineral spirits with color in it = garbage.

CactusThomas
AG
The bump at the end of the first page was timely. I see more fences down in Creek Meadows.
LunitadelNox
Ace Fence is good. They did mine last year.
Builder93
AG
quote:
Even a 4x4 treated post should be stained or painted. Cetol is the only stuff to use - Chapman's on Villa Maria carries it. Behr etc. is water aka mineral spirits with color in it = garbage.

Glad to see Cetol mentioned. Best stuff out there. I built many decks with it in the past. Every customer tells me how great the deck looks years later.
FYI to the rest of you, if you are truly doing the posts correctly, you will soak them in Cetol before installing them in the ground. And you will use 4x4's that are kiln dried after treatment.
originaltexan
If buying a new house, look for landscape timbers if used on the fence. First red flag.

Then dig around the post to see how deep it is into the earth. If 6 inches or less, run as fast as you can back to your car and never look back OR tell your builder what you want.

I speak from experience. I know someone who got a cheap fence when he bought his house. Now it is all hodge podged together and looks bad. Some pipe got introduced, some 2x4's, some metal strapping, all kind of band aids. I don't think it will ever blow down, but it looks cruddy.
CactusThomas
AG
Realtors love it when they are gonna drive you around to look at houses and you show up with your shovel.
originaltexan
If your realtor gets mad if you inspect or have high expectations, run back to your car. Tongue in cheek ...but, seriously inspect and ask questions before you buy a house, car, etc.

6 inches is about the size of a dollar bill. Very easy to inspect and non-intrusive. I would rather buy smart versus being concerned if someone's feelings or ego got hurt.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.