At&t 4g wireless/data plans and iPhones (they are all 3g)/confirmed network problems

10,673 Views | 163 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by DevilAg03
ltaylor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jim03....FYI.. the store on Rock Prairie is closed up and gone...space for lease.
AgProgrammer
AG
quote:
Verizon does not see the same issues because of their network architecture, which is both beneficial and limiting at the same time. Verizon does not have the market share in College Station that AT&T has, less customers means less problems…

I'm not sure how accurate the statement that there are fewer Verizon customers in B/CS is. I know quite a few people who are on Verizon with iPhones and they work great. My Verizon aircard works awesome on both 3G and 4G here in B/CS also.

@Jim03 I'd love to help with trying to troubleshoot this AT&T stuff around B/CS. Shoot me an email at tyler at wieghatgraphics dot com.
Jim03
@ltaylor - I am sorry, I still call the store Rock P. the new location is 917 WILLIAM D FITCH PKWY in the shopping center..
Jim03
@AgProgrammer - I can assure you it's accurate, we look at this data very closely, but I do not know if I can post actual numbers and I am not sure if this is public information, so I have to plead the 5th...

Email coming your way shortly..
pacecar02
I appreciate all the responses in this thread.

I also wanted to thank Jim for responding to me personally.

If you have not already please provide Jim with your email address so that he can try to identify/verfy the problems you have been having.

If you have not already please post where you were having problems, the type of problem as well as the type of device

i.e. iphone4/oncampus/dropped call when driving home

areas mentioned so far:

campus/poor data throughput and dropped calls when leaving

Tejas center (Villa Maria and Texas)/poor data throughput

Highway 6 and University/poor data throughput

Jim is working on the issue and the possibility of multiple or compounding problems is likely. Diagnosis and solutions can further be aided by providing accurate details from the users/customers affected.

thanks,

-pace
aggiewrench
Add Dropped calls between HW6 and eagle on Barron Rd to that list.
FundAg10
AG
As well as poor data throughput at Southwest pkwy and wellborn
Agism95

[This message has been edited by Agism95 (edited 5/18/2012 9:46a).]
armymom
@Jim03 123whoop@gmail.com

Cannont download data unless I turn off wifi and turn off/on Iphone 4S.

Thanks for your help!
envirogisgirl
@Jim03

envirogisgirl@gmail.com

I appreciate your interest into looking into this!

My best friend and I have actually spent over 15 hours on the phone with ATT reps trying to get them to understand and acknowledge a problem. On their advice I switched from an iPhone to the Atrix, which reduced the issues but did not solve them. She lives in Wash DC.. we regularly experience up to 15 drops during an 1 hour attempt at conversation. OR we experience a 'washer machine' sound and will both suddenly be on the phone with someone else entirely... Its too the point we speak by Google talk text or I stay late at work and call her.

Data is even worse.

I have had ATT wireless since 2002 with cell being my only phone. ATT certainly offers no incentives for being a loyal customer with typically shoddy customer service and this incredibly poor voice and data service here in BCS. I estimate I actually use about 1/3 of my phones monthly paid for package.

I work in IT and have some understanding of the need to balance customer happiness against cost and service repair time yet acknowledgement of an issue and an estimated repair time always helps a client feel involved.

Thanks again for your interest from a technical viewpoint. I hope bringing the local area frustration to light internally will encourage a visible timeline for resolution.

Dawn
ksevern
AG
Many thanks to Jim.

About campus poor data-- I seem to remember something happened to a cell tower last year and AT&T set up temporary stations/connectors on campus., ( of course I could be confused!).

Other good news is that Caldwell may be getting 3g soon!
Jim03
@ksevern - You are correct, the entire campus DAS was down due to a fiber issue last year, which the University quickly fixed, however we did not wait, we deployed temp emergency cell sites called COWS (Cell on Wheels) across the campus in several locations, similar to the deployments we do during disasters. We were the only carrier to do so...
Jim03
@ksevern - And yes 3G very soon, I shot you an email with some more details on that..
badbilly
AG
Jim03 can you email me at billybras at gmail dot com please?
Thanks

[This message has been edited by badbilly (edited 5/16/2012 2:08a).]
tdy-elsewhere
@Jim03- I've got a couple 3GSes and issues in/at: Castlegate, Blinn College, College Hills Elementary, TAMU main campus, and the Westwood Main/2818 area if you need input from those areas.

Thanks for looking at this for us.

rtjones at longshore dot org
ooshwa
Staff
AG
Jim03,

I have 5 phones (3 of them iPhones) + 1 iPad on my AT&T account and experience frequent problems all over town. Problems started getting really bad late winter and have continued.

Typically, my phones shows ample signal but data will not come through (or does so at just a trickle).

For example...

I was at 980 University Dr today at 12:30pm. I have 4bars of service (and the 4G icon) on my iPhone4S, yet I could get not get any data to come through.

Any help would be appreciated.

Josh
joshua a-t mybcs d-o-t com

[This message has been edited by ooshwa (edited 5/16/2012 2:18p).]
aggiepaintrain
AG
I spoke to 2 knowledgeable reps when I dialed 611, they are 'fully' aware of our problems.
I'll give it through the summer then I'm gone.
aggiewrench
Same boat. Contract is up in July.
aggietoolman
AG
There is most definitely a major problem on campus. It's been going on for about three weeks (not counting the poor, but working data since early this year). I've got two coworkers and myself all with AT&T that can't call, receive calls, or text with any reliability. One is an iphone 3G, one a 4S, and one a cheap AT&T flip phone. The phones, as noted above aren't the issue. Once I get home to South College Station, I have no problems with texting or calling.

The only time that I've had these kind of issues was when the fiber on campus was damaged. There is a very similar problem again. One of those coworkers has already complained and gotten a credit. I've been with AT&T since a while back during the Cingular days. I'll be shopping around other carriers next week. I've gotten a pretty good deal by being there so long, but if I can't use the phone, the deal is useless. I'd rather have a slightly worse set up that works regularly than the garbage that I have now.

Jim, you are welcome to email my handle at yahoo if you want more detailed info.
BlazeHarper
I think as it stands they are in breach of contract and you have grounds for terminating that contract. If you want to be released request they release you based upon their failure to honor the contract. If that does not work take them to court and show damages for failure to provide service.
sdriver
AG
I too have been having some of the same problems. I have had AT&T for 13 years through all of their name changes and such. My problem now is, I have never had any of these issues until just this past year. I'm so fed up with all of it I don't know what to do or which carrier to stay with or to switch.

My husband and I live a bit south of the Wellborn area and we never have had problems up until a year ago. Dropped calls constantly, alien taking over sounds, not to mention the fact I can't use my phone anywhere around my home (full signal bar and 3G) and the Internet doesn't work.

I connect to Wi-fi when at home and it works well, this making me think for sure it is the network.

I have loved having the iPhone for 3 1/2 years but I'm sick of the service and no help or solutions. I work out of town and have the same issues there. Not able to connect to the Internet and dropped calls constantly.

What does a consumer do anymore? I want a new phone, contracts up in July, would love to stay because we are loyal but they haven't been the same in return.

[This message has been edited by sdriver (edited 5/16/2012 10:37p).]
texas02aggie
My email address is whoop2002aggie @ yahoo dot com
My husband and I have been having issues with our iPhone 4S since the beginning of this year. I wanted to send you this message because most people are posting about CS, but I live in Bryan. I have a lot of problems at Bryan High and then at our home near Bowen Elementary in Tiffany Park. I also have dropped calls or calls where one party cannot hear the other while driving down HWY 6. Data drives me crazy. Data almost never works unless on WiFi...and when you are paying for unlimited, that is really frustrating. I've been to the store several times, but get no where. Thanks for responding on this thread.
FundAg10
AG
Wow. Just called AT&T to report the data issue and was told I shouldn't be having problems because I'm in a 'great coverage area'.

After laughing a good few seconds, I explained the problem and she wrote it off as 'high concentration' usage.

Told her that this town normally has 100,000+ people in it 8 months out of the year..this happens to be one of the 4 months with 50,000 people. Not very helpful.
Jim03
@texas02aggie - I will shoot you an email about Bryan, we have a plan in place..
Herschel86
Jim - My son is experiencing similar data problems with his iphone 4s. Mostly south of campus between George Bush and Southwest Parkway. His e-mail is blinn14 at gmail dot com if you want more details.

Unreasonable
I don't get what these emails are going to solve, it has to be obvious what the problem is. But I guess if it stifles the angry masses then it does some good. I wonder when they'll admit they simply need more towers and equipment in the area.
pacecar02
to unreasonable

Jim is actually looking at each persons personal history in trying to determine the best way to address their problems.

Being in IT myself it's one thing to determine you have a problem and another all together to say its fixed. Without solid data points from the end users its hard to determine if its been fixed or if problem areas remain or if another user is having a different kinda of problem you were unaware of. Its not as easy as backtracking to when it seemed to work and reverse any changes that were made.

In all honesty Jim is doing his level best to communicate with individual his verification of their problems and his solutions as they are put in place.

I appreciate the responses I've gotten so far and have been noticing some improvements. Has anyone else noticed any improvement with their problems?

[This message has been edited by pacecar02 (edited 5/17/2012 4:06p).]
Agism95
Today I drove down university and on 48 to Villa Maria and my call was not dropped. I have never driven by the new Health Science Center without a dropped call until today. Yay!
akaggie
AG
Just this morning I was at Tower Point (Fitch and 6)...sitting in the nail salon, looking at the AT&T store ACROSS THE STREET and had four bars on my iPhone 4s, but no data service. NONE.

I took out my iPad and had data immediately.
Unreasonable
quote:
the AT&T store ACROSS THE STREET
And since AT&T stores aren't cell phone towers this is irrelevant.
akaggie
AG
I realize they aren't cell phone towers, but I think it is insane that they are selling a product/service on one side of the street that doesn't work on the other side of the street.
techno-ag
AG
+1 akaggie
Newbomb_Turk
+2
acp46
+3 akaggie, I was thinking exactly the same thing.
Kbeauty63
AG
Bumping this up to add my information for Jim03. I just found out within the last two days I am not getting some texts that have been sent to me. I have a 3GS, work in the Chimney Hill (Tarrow & Spring Loop area) and live in The Oaks area in Bryan (Carter Creek & Briar Oaks). My contact info is Karen q at att dot net.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.