At&t 4g wireless/data plans and iPhones (they are all 3g)/confirmed network problems

10,598 Views | 163 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by DevilAg03
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
pacecar02, shoot me an email if you can... I am an Engineer for AT&T, would love to help you.

Jim03,

How do we email you?

Dubi

pacecar02
yes, how do we email you
Al Bula
AG
I'm coming to CS for the weekend. Looking forward to not being able to use my phone!

There is def some irony in the fact that AT&T is one of our AD's major sponsors but the network is pretty crappy.
bryanitemom2
Same story different person! I am so irritated! iphone 4s x2 and iphone 3g
techno-ag
AG
AT&T is great many places, but in BCS Verizon rules.
ksevern
AG
Jim- my email is ksevern at gmail.com

Al Bula
AG
Posting on 4S iPhone on 3G now with no issues

In south college station

[This message has been edited by Koala infestation (edited 5/11/2012 9:24p).]
FundAg10
AG
How do you get 3g on a 4s?
txyaloo
AG
quote:
How do you get 3g on a 4s?

.....that's the only thing you can get on an iPhone since there are no 4G iPhones.
lockett93
AG
The most recent iphone updates 5.1 and 5.1.1 changed the iPhone 4S to show 4G while on an HSPA+ network.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401422,00.asp
FundAg10
AG
Update your phone Txyaloo
txyaloo
AG
Just because the icon may show 4G doesn't mean they're 4G. HSPA+ isn't 4G.
Kate Beckett
AG
So I am NOT crazy then! 4GS. Transferred in in January...it was crazy. No service on campus unless on wi-fi!!!
htownag08
AG
I was curious why my phone basically didn't work in BCS (iPhone 4s) and this thread has been sadly great to find. It stinks we have this collective problem. I just drove to Alabama for an internship and used the data network the entire way (pandora, radio.com, spotify: all of which barely work in town) and it was infinitely better than any service I've gotten in BCS. Even in the vast nothingness of Mississippi and Alabama I have had amazing service. It sucks we are getting totally screwed in BCS and is something I'm not looking forward to when I return.

[This message has been edited by Htownag08 (edited 5/13/2012 12:08a).]
Rex Racer
AG
Switching to Verizon when the iPhone 5 comes out. AT&T has been horrible for a good while now, and I have had a bellyful.
Jim03
Dubi, Pacecar02;

If you guys will post your email address phonetically as “ksevern” did, I will contact you… Or you can send me a private message through TexAgs?
Jim03
"Koala Infestation" There was an issue in South CS on a couple of sites, which was resolved on 5/4. It started a while before that, but I checked this morning and it still looks good. Please post if you are still having issues. I can't watch the forum 24x7 but will check when I can..
tag8
AG
I work on campus too, and everyone in the office with an iPhone is having trouble with texts and data loading when not on wifi. It's been really frustrating.
Unreasonable
The fact that this is still happening after the students have cleared out is embarrassing.
Jim03
"txyaloo" You are correct.. 4G network icon on the iPhone means you have HSPA+ capability. The primary difference is HSUPA on the uplink in conjunction with HSDPA on the downlink. Sometimes in a scenario where uplink is congested or interfered with, iPhones or any HSUPA capable device cannot get a message back to the network on the High Speed channel indicating a successful packet received, therefore causing a slower throughput in the downlink, due to the network retransmitting the same packet, although there is no downlink issue. This is why sometimes an iPhone may have an issue, where another device in the same exact spot may not have an issue.

The high speed channel is shared in the HSUPA scenario, whereas an older device gets a circuit switched uplink channel at a guaranteed rate, but slower..
Jim03
agrunner12, where at on campus?
fcag
AG
Is the current generation of iPhone any better in BCS on Verizon?
dubi
AG
Jim03,

My TexagsUsername @ ymail dot com.
foo00
AG
fcag,

I had an iPhone 3G and 4 on AT&T. Constant dropped calls and data users around campus as well as around town for years. Just dealt with it.. I finally had it about 9 months ago after 4 dropped calls in a single day while remaining stationary and outside. I got an iPhone4 on Verizon and have only had 1 dropped call since and never have data issues when out of wifi range. All my people at work that still have AT&T still report constant issues, so it doesn't appear to have changed much.

So, yes, Verizon is better in B/CS (in my opinion) in all respects on the same/recent devices (yes, I realize it's a different radio for CDMA vs GSM, but other than that..).

[This message has been edited by foo00 (edited 5/14/2012 9:15a).]
Jim03

fcag – The iPhone4s limitations on EVDO networks such as Verizon and Sprint are basically slower data throughput and no concurrent data +voice services over cellular vs the HSPA+ networks such as AT&T and T-Mobile which have higher theoretical throughput (which greatly depends on traffic and backhaul) and you can have concurrent services. It would be my opinion that HSPA+ networks would be the better option, coverage issues and congestion issues can be resolved, technology limitations cannot.
Agism95
I don't talk all this techno lingo. Can you tell me what my best options are to fix my problem other than switch to Verizon? I have an iPhone3Gs. Is there something I need to do to my iPhone or am I hearing I should get something other than an iPhone?
pacecar02
my email is

username at gmail dot com / or tamu dot edu
AgProgrammer
AG
quote:
Is there something I need to do to my iPhone or am I hearing I should get something other than an iPhone?

It's not an iPhone issue, it's an AT&T issue. So unless you change to an AT&T phone that has LTE, Verizon does work better for the iPhone here in B/CS. Regardless of newer/older technology (HSPA+ vs CDMA), Verizon isn't having the issues around town that AT&T is.
Old Main
AG
I have an older iPhone and in addition to calls I use it as a modem for my internet access (personal hotspot). It is very frustrating when I can't get the internet to work on my laptop.

envirogisgirl
add me to the list!
I have had the iphone 3gs and now a 4g droid Atrix. I wanted the dual core processor for the speed.
Device speed doesnt matter when you can see the signal bars on your phone but not access any data. Pandora rarely works.. Goofgle Docs is slow. Everything is slow. I live about 2 miles SW of campus. Att suggestion was for me to get a home service so they could give me a signal booster.(In other words buy services I don't currently have in my home so I can provide the electricity to boost their problem).

Sadly the service works fine in Houston or Austin.. I go there to visit and am amazed at how wonderful my phone is. Att Sucks Here in CS!
LGAggie
AG
quote:
It would be my opinion that HSPA+ networks would be the better option, coverage issues and congestion issues can be resolved, technology limitations cannot

Then fix the problem already! This didn't happen over night or over the last week. It's been a problem for a long, long time.

It seems pretty disingenuous to say "our technology is better and faster." That may be true when it works but everyone with an iPhone around campus is telling you that it absolutely isn't working. At all. Slightly slower Verizon service beats the hell out of non functioning AT&T.

Also, it sure would be nice for the company to reimburse users who aren't getting what they paid for. Any chance of that happening? Doubt it.

If my entire network of friends and family weren't on AT&T I would have already switched. I'm very close to switching anyway.
Old Main
AG
I just spoke to a rep from AT&T. She was calling because my bill was past due. I directed her to this thread. She said that I couldn't expect the internet to work all the time. I told her that my personal hotspot works about half the time. She said that we can't expect AT&T to fix the problem right away because they provide service all over the country.

boredatwork08
AG
When will customer service reps learn that, when speaking to a customer, you give SOLUTIONS, not excuses!?
Jim03
@Agism95 – No you should not have to switch phones, if you like the iPhone stick with it. Our network problems are being addressed, I am highly involved with this process. I can look into your individual issues, and let you know what specifically is being done if you want to post your email address.

@AgProgrammer – You are correct it is not an iPhone issue. My explanation in my earlier post was simply to explain why iPhones may see an issue while others may not, and by no means am I using that as an excuse. Verizon does not see the same issues because of their network architecture, which is both beneficial and limiting at the same time. Verizon does not have the market share in College Station that AT&T has, less customers means less problems… I can assure you that we are working on the issues. If you want me to look into an issue specifically, I will do so, just drop your email address..

@envirogisgirl – Drop your email address, I will look into your issue…

@LGAggie – You are correct, the problems did not happen overnight. We have invested a TON of capital into the CS market, including a campus wide DAS (distributed antenna system), which over the years has greatly improved service. We do not sit idle as problems get worse, we invest time and effort to improve things as fast as we can. I only offered my opinion as an Engineer that HSPA+ networks were better, based on what I understand about EVDO vs HSPA… We know where most issues are on campus and have plans in place. If you want me to look into your specific issues, please drop your email and I will. I will do all that can to resolve the issue.

Also, yes there are mechanisms in place to reimburse customers that cannot use their device, or having excessive problems. Please call into customer service for that, Engineering does not have access to these databases. I believe you can go into one of the COR (Company Owned Retail) stores, and they will do all they can to help as well. It needs to be a COR store though, not a reseller. The COR stores in College Station are on Briarcrest and Rock Prairie.
akaggie
AG
Jim03,

I have the same issues with my iPhone 4s. My email is ventanas at swbell dot net.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.