Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cross Post: Getting Gas to a Kitchen Island

2,728 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by JFABNRGR
TexasRebel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Deerdude said:

GeorgiAg said:

Single story? Go through the attic and add hollow columns down to the island. Is the gas line in the attic?

The nearest natural gas hookup for me is 1/4 mile away or I'd have one too. Gas is soooo much better. Plus if the power goes out in the winter, you have a (temporary) heat source.

Be careful with that one. As I understand, residential gas stoves now require electricity for striker and gas flow. Like the basic gas can, Guv came on and made it safer so they won't work without the electricity that would be heating the house.
Commercial and some foreign made units still work like the old school ones.

That's nothing a match can't fix.
Deerdude
TexasRebel said:

Deerdude said:

GeorgiAg said:

Single story? Go through the attic and add hollow columns down to the island. Is the gas line in the attic?

The nearest natural gas hookup for me is 1/4 mile away or I'd have one too. Gas is soooo much better. Plus if the power goes out in the winter, you have a (temporary) heat source.

Be careful with that one. As I understand, residential gas stoves now require electricity for striker and gas flow. Like the basic gas can, Guv came on and made it safer so they won't work without the electricity that would be heating the house.
Commercial and some foreign made units still work like the old school ones.

That's nothing a match can't fix.

Well not if gas not flowing thru electric valve. I remember when life was that easy as well.
RO519
AG
Well I opened up the base cabinet, the builder did not stub up gas, but we have two spare/empty conduits where the vent stubs up through the slab. One appears to be a 2" PVC stub up. The other (second picture with red mark up) is 1" Smurf tube next to the Smurf tube the island electrical is run in. Now I just need to get a plumber out here to run a gas line.

RO519
AG
Double post
jt2hunt
AG
Did you find the other end?
RO519
AG
Pretty sure they turn up the exterior wall by the sink area.
jt2hunt
AG
Then the pvc will be perfect for the gas run
JFABNRGR
AG
Burdizzo said:

Is it a code violation to just have a 5-gallon propane can under the counter instead of running a new gas line to the slab?

Asking for a redneck friend.

All over europe is like this. Propane delivery service runs like dominoes pizza. Often they use bigger bottles.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.