Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cross Post: Getting Gas to a Kitchen Island

2,618 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by JFABNRGR
RO519
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cross post from Home Improvement board: Outdoor related cause the OB knows everything...

We currently have an electric glass range in our kitchen island with downdraft exhaust that exits the side of our house, My wife accidently broke our glass range the other day. We both do not like cooking on a glass range and would rather have a gas range. Outside of tearing up the tile floors, what other options do we have to get gas to the island?

Gas is in the laundry room 20' away (gas dryer)
GeorgiAg
AG
Need more info. What is below? More living space or a basement/crawlspace?

A pic might help.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
There is probably no cheap option but having gas will be worth whatever it costs. You can have it tunnelled under the slab but that's gonna be big money. You don't have enough tile to trench to the closest wall then go up to the attic and over to laundry? Your wife didn't have another tile picked out for the kitchen?
You could also just get an induction range and a new set of cookware and call it a day
RO519
AG
Slab on grade below, no basement in Houston.

Floor plan below witch quick bluebeam notes added for reference of layout.

Deerdude
I've got similar in some remodel plans. I'm bringing propane thru attic to heater units then down wall and cutting into slab. Coming from closest wall is about 6'.
GeorgiAg
AG
Single story? Go through the attic and add hollow columns down to the island. Is the gas line in the attic?

The nearest natural gas hookup for me is 1/4 mile away or I'd have one too. Gas is soooo much better. Plus if the power goes out in the winter, you have a (temporary) heat source.
Deerdude
GeorgiAg said:

Single story? Go through the attic and add hollow columns down to the island. Is the gas line in the attic?

The nearest natural gas hookup for me is 1/4 mile away or I'd have one too. Gas is soooo much better. Plus if the power goes out in the winter, you have a (temporary) heat source.

Be careful with that one. As I understand, residential gas stoves now require electricity for striker and gas flow. Like the basic gas can, Guv came on and made it safer so they won't work without the electricity that would be heating the house.
Commercial and some foreign made units still work like the old school ones.
GeorgiAg
AG
Deerdude said:

GeorgiAg said:

Be careful with that one. As I understand, residential gas stoves now require electricity for striker and gas flow. Like the basic gas can, Guv came on and made it safer so they won't work without the electricity that would be heating the house.
I had a Thermador range and it worked when the power went out, but that was a long while ago.... If I were shopping for a new range, I want to be able to light it when the power is out.
OnlyForNow
AG
It is mostly just heating up a sensor above the pizo to a point that it calls for gas… still dumb.

It this makes me so happy our kitchen is on skrees But I've talked to multiple kitchen renovators and they said that chipping in a gas line on a slab is really not that big of a deal
lb sand
AG
We remodeled our kitchen several years ago and added an island with a gas cook top.
Long story short, they jackhammered a trench about 15 feet in the slab, layed the pipe to the island and covered the trench back up with cement.
We were redoing the floors as well so it wasn't a big deal.
Teslag
AG
Just go with a commercial induction range. There's not a lot they can't do that gas can.
fullback44
AG
lb sand said:

We remodeled our kitchen several years ago and added an island with a gas cook top.
Long story short, they jackhammered a trench about 15 feet in the slab, layed the pipe to the island and covered the trench back up with cement.
This is probably the only way to do this, saw cut about a 6" wide trench from Island to the closest wall, then jack hammer down about 3".. then run the gas line up the wall from the dryer and into the attic and then back down the wall to the trench and over to the island … fill trench w new cement and re cover w flooring .. probably $4-6k or maybe more

We forgot to run the electrical on a barndo I built an island .. we saw cut and jack hammered a small trench and laid conduit in the tench and re covered it w new cement … pain in the rear.. but at least it was a new build and the flooring wasn't in so they only charged me $1200

The only other thing you could do is put some fake post on the sides of your island and run the gas down inside the post from the attic but that may mess up your island look..
RO519
AG
We like the classic look of a glass range compared to replacing with induction.

I had thought of the false columns on the corners of the island, but that kind of negates the point of an island.

We have general purpose receptacles in the island as well as power run to the existing glass range. Could we run interduct in the existing conduit feeding power? One for electric and one for gas? I guess that would be dictated by local code…
Mas89
AG
Can you run the gas line inside the exhaust piping to the home exterior?
RO519
AG
Not sure. That was a thought I had at one point but not sure what local code says
AJ02
AG
We had the same situation and my husband had a gas line run down from the attic (near gas water heater), down the outside wall of our kitchen, and up through the same hole in the floor/slab that our vent runs through. So we didn't have to bust up any concrete. Just a couple of holes in the drywall we have to patch. Even that wasn't cheap. That alone cost more than the stovetop itself, but so worth it in my opinion.
AJ02
AG
Mas89 said:

That's exactly what we did.
Chetos
AG
AJ02 said:

Mas89 said:

That's exactly what we did.

Same
ValleyRatAg
AG
Mas89 said:

This is the way. I would get conduction cooktop and a gas backup generator though.
tree91
AG
Can you put the range on the wall against the laundry room and make the island a solid top workspace?
Gunny456
AG
We just did a remodel on our home. We installed a new Viking cook top. It replaced an older Five Star. They only need/needed electrical for the strikers. But when the power goes we could still light with a match.
agracer
AG
Deerdude said:

GeorgiAg said:

The striker needs power, but you can still light the burners with a match or lighter if the power is out.
milkman00
AG
Mas89 said:

The owner of the gas (propane) company did this on a house he lived in.
Deerdude
agracer said:

Deerdude said:

GeorgiAg said:

The striker needs power, but you can still light the burners with a match or lighter if the power is out.

OK maybe some brands, that's encouraging. A friend had remodeled and completed job just before freezepacylipse. Was comfortable and even smug as he went to turn on burners and stove to warm house. His unit has a safety valve powered by electricity to shuts off and will not allow gas flow without power.
Being in fast food, my commercial stuff all works and has no power cords. Then again, they are probably 6 years old.
Bottom line be careful what you purchase. What happened to good old pilot lights?
RO519
AG
milkman00 said:

Mas89 said:

I talked with a buddy who does residential remodeling and he said this is frowned upon per code... but is certainly the cheapest option when it comes to getting gas to the island.
RO519
AG
tree91 said:

Can you put the range on the wall against the laundry room and make the island a solid top workspace?
Nope. I updated the floor plan to show additional appliances, sink, etc. Really, the range is in the only spot that works.
AJ02
AG
RO519 said:

milkman00 said:

Mas89 said:

I talked with a buddy who does residential remodeling and he said this is frowned upon per code... but is certainly the cheapest option when it comes to getting gas to the island.

Ours doesn't actually run through the duct for the downdraft. It runs right next to the duct, but uses the same path/hole through the slab as the downdraft duct. Had a professional plumber do ours and said that was acceptable.
RO519
AG
AJ02 said:

RO519 said:

milkman00 said:

Mas89 said:

Ours doesn't actually run through the duct for the downdraft. It runs right next to the duct, but uses the same path/hole through the slab as the downdraft duct. Had a professional plumber do ours and said that was acceptable.
if you don't mind me asking, are you in the Houston area?
AJ02
AG
Harris County, but not within Houston city limits.
RO519
AG
Sweet. We are in Cypress so similar situation.

What plumber did you use?
AJ02
AG
We had it done a couple of years ago and the guy has retired since then and moved to Kerrville.
mts6175
AG
Only way to really do it right is to bust slab and re-pour when its installed. Otherwise, you're doing a lot of work for little benefit. I wouldn't add hollow columns or run through vents.
Teslag
AG
fullback44 said:

lb sand said:

This is probably the only way to do this, saw cut about a 6" wide trench from Island to the closest wall, then jack hammer down about 3".. then run the gas line up the wall from the dryer and into the attic and then back down the wall to the trench and over to the island … fill trench w new cement and re cover w flooring .. probably $4-6k or maybe more

We forgot to run the electrical on a barndo I built an island .. we saw cut and jack hammered a small trench and laid conduit in the tench and re covered it w new cement … pain in the rear.. but at least it was a new build and the flooring wasn't in so they only charged me $1200

The only other thing you could do is put some fake post on the sides of your island and run the gas down inside the post from the attic but that may mess up your island look..

Be really careful if doing this on a post-tension slab
ValleyRatAg
AG
Good point PT Slabs are explosive is a PT cable is cut. In our area we don't have them so I forget about them residentially.
Burdizzo
AG
Is it a code violation to just have a 5-gallon propane can under the counter instead of running a new gas line to the slab?

Asking for a redneck friend.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.