Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snakes in the house?

7,446 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by xMusashix
G. hirsutum Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have found two very small garter snakes in my house this week. They are tiny and they have been in the process dying I assume from the insecticide in my house from the exterminator who was here two months ago. Here are the problems;

1. They were in my 17 month old daughter's room
2. My wife hates snakes
3. I hate snakes but not as much as she does
4. They were in my daughter's room

When I found the one the other day I tore the house apart looking for them, didn't see any and i shut the hell up after i disposed of the snake for obvious reasons. But just a few minutes ago my wife found one after my kid picked it up in her room. We live in town, keep the clutter down, the leaves raked as best we can, etc. We have found 3-4 bigger garter snakes in the yard this week. I know it is an active time of year for them, but they need to stay the heck out of my house. Where the heck are they coming from? And more importantly what can I do to keep them out? My guess is they are coming in thru the weep holes and into her room some how because it has an external wall. Maybe the drains but not sure. Snake lovers need not answer unless you have some tips. Any snakes found in my house will be killed and if my wife finds them outside they will be killed. And I'm 99% sure my dogs didn't bring them in because the one I found the other day was before my dogs got home from the vet.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
I have found two very small garter snakes in my house this week. They are tiny and they have been in the process dying I assume from the insecticide in my house from the exterminator who was here two months ago. Here are the problems;

1. They were in my 17 month old daughter's room
2. My wife hates snakes
3. I hate snakes but not as much as she does
4. They were in my daughter's room

When I found the one the other day I tore the house apart looking for them, didn't see any and i shut the hell up after i disposed of the snake for obvious reasons. But just a few minutes ago my wife found one after my kid picked it up in her room. We live in town, keep the clutter down, the leaves raked as best we can, etc. We have found 3-4 bigger garter snakes in the yard this week. I know it is an active time of year for them, but they need to stay the heck out of my house. Where the heck are they coming from? And more importantly what can I do to keep them out? My guess is they are coming in thru the weep holes and into her room some how because it has an external wall. Maybe the drains but not sure. Snake lovers need not answer unless you have some tips. Any snakes found in my house will be killed and if my wife finds them outside they will be killed. And I'm 99% sure my dogs didn't bring them in because the one I found the other day was before my dogs got home from the vet.
No help from me, but great write-up. I laughed several times at your expense. Good luck!

EDIT: Where do you live?
Lungblood
1. Get a cat.

2. Don't feed it... Much

3. Profit
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Victoria
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
And I realize they probably aren't garter snakes but I don't really care.
eric76
AG
When I was a kid, I found three snakes in the bathtub one year (not all at the same time). This was before I knew the difference between snakes so I don't know if they were bullsnakes, rattlesnakes, or something else. Since I didn't need to take a bath, I just ignored them and they were gone later when I did need to take a bath. I always assumed someone found them and threw them outside.

I guess it could have been the same snake three times but if that was the case it would seem odd for him to keep climbing into the bathtub. Maybe he's still there.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
When I was a kid, I found three snakes in the bathtub one year (not all at the same time). This was before I knew the difference between snakes so I don't know if they were bullsnakes, rattlesnakes, or something else. Since I didn't need to take a bath, I just ignored them and they were gone later when I did need to take a bath. I always assumed someone found them and threw them outside.

I guess it could have been the same snake three times but if that was the case it would seem odd for him to keep climbing into the bathtub. Maybe he's still there.
I read this in a Forest Gump voice.
AgResearch
clobby
AG
Have you done a walk around your house. Look for any holes or loose siding they could get in, and keep doors closed.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
We have a brick house so there are weep holes at the bottom every 5' or so. We don't keep the doors open and this room is on the opposite side of the house from the doors. The window is 4' or so off of the ground and is in good condition. And that is also the high side of my house. There aren't any trees or anything on that side.
Poeag
AG
Went to my grandparents house about a month ago. My sister had misplaced a phone charger so I was checking behind the day bed that she had been sleeping on. To my surprise I didn't find the phone charger but I discovered a 4 ft long snake shed. The snake still hasn't been found
Tim Taylor
Burn house, get insurance money, move elsewhere
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
quote:
Went to my grandparents house about a month ago. My sister had misplaced a phone charger so I was checking behind the day bed that she had been sleeping on. To my surprise I didn't find the phone charger but I discovered a 4 ft long snake shed. The snake still hasn't been found
Finding a live snake is 1000000x better than finding just the skin shed.
CrossBowAg99
AG
I've heard of stuffing steel wool in weep holes to keep snakes and large insects out
ZooGuy
AG
Steel wool is a very good idea. Mothballs periodically near any holes on the outside may help.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
You need to look around for egg shells. These are most likely hatchlings. Snakes can drop a whole bunch of eggs, and momma can be protective. Oh yeah, juvenile venomous snakes don't always have the same color patterns as the adults. Sleep tight.
ZooGuy
AG
Garter snakes are live bearers. They don't lay eggs.
ATX_AG_08
AG
quote:
quote:
Finding a live snake is 1000000x better than finding just the skin shed.
I've had a large snake shed ruin a whole day of dove hunting for me in high grass. I'm fine until i see one (or a shed) and then I'm on edge for the rest of that day.
ursusguy
AG
Post a picture of the snakes in question. Then we can figure out the potential food source.

You can use some of the SnakeAway stuff. But keep in mind, this is purely psychological for your wife, it isn't really proven to work for squat. No chemical has actually proven to do much for snakes.
EMY92
AG
I can't believe this thread has gone 18 posts without a Samuel Jackson reference.

G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Didn't take any photos but I'm 99% sure it is a brown earth snake. I have found his cousins in my backyard under the leaves and in the ground. These two were literally the size of pencils.
ATX_AG_08
AG
quote:
quote:

I read this in a Forest Gump voice.
Snakes? When snakes try to get in our house, Momma just chase 'em off with a broom.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_striatula

Color, markings, habitat, behavior is right on key with all the ones I have seen
KDubAg
AG
We have snakes in our house. They don't bother us though.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
The ones in the yard We're bigger than the ones we found in the house. Still about 12" or less and slender but bigger than these smaller ones.
STX Ag
AG
I found a snake in my pants the other day.
ATX_AG_08
AG
quote:
I found a snake in my pants the other day.
How long was it lost?
Old Sarge
AG
OMG. Snakes in the M/f/cing VICTORIA!

Seven, I've lived in Victoria most of my life. Snakes in the house usually mean they are looking for dry ground especially after the abnormal, long term rain we have had (I live in Victoria also). You ought to define small snakes, probably in diameter not length.

I've seen "small" snakes and mice get through cracks that you'd not think a roach could not get through.

Once it dries up, you won't have and issue.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
That was our theory Sarge. The rain driving them to drier ground. These guys have been pencil diameter or less.
Bottlerocket
AG
you can find those under any bed of Asian jasmine in dallas. they love it under there
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Ok my bug man said they are Texas Blind Snakes. So I guess we might have two species. Im largely ok with the earth snakes as long as my wife doesn't see them. He said there isn't anything we can do. Anyone have any ideas?
ursusguy
AG
Desensitize your wife and yourself to harmless snakes. My wife doesn't remotely like snakes, but she doesn't react to them. Had a female officemate for 3 years, she didn't like snakes initially either. After 3 years, multiple snakes (including 4 rattlers) inside the office, she didn't care (rattlers were taken outside). It is possible to get over irrational fear.
Aggielandma12
AG
OP be like...

water turkey
Maybe they are living in the snake "den"
STX Ag
AG
A .410 right behind the head usually deters them pretty good.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.