Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snakes in the house?

7,463 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by xMusashix
BCO07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
i feel like as long as your kiddo is larger than a pinky mouse, she's likely not in any danger.

other than a smart ass comment, i have nothing to add to the value of this thread.
Allen76
AG
quote:
Post a picture of the snakes in question. Then we can figure out the potential food source.

My wife bought 2 dozen guinea chicks and put them in the house in the utility room in a cardboard box. The window there was open but it has a screen. One night we came home and I looked down into the box and there was a large Texas Rat Snake feasting on our chicks.

That was the only snake we know we have had in the house and can only figure that it forced its way either under the window screen frame or possibly under a door. Obviously the chicks attracted the snake by their smell or possibly the chirping.
Sean98
AG
quote:
quote:
Post a picture of the snakes in question. Then we can figure out the potential food source.

My wife bought 2 dozen guinea chicks and put them in the house in the utility room in a cardboard box. The window there was open but it has a screen. One night we came home and I looked down into the box and there was a large Texas Rat Snake feasting on our chicks.

That was the only snake we know we have had in the house and can only figure that it forced its way either under the window screen frame or possibly under a door. Obviously the chicks attracted the snake by their smell or possibly the chirping.

That snake saved you from a helluva lot of annoying racket over the years.
Allen76
AG
haha..... the two dozen chicks were supposed to be 12 for us and 12 for some friends. So after the snake left us with less than a dozen, our half was only about 4 or 5 chicks. Out of those, only ONE grew up and lived a long life in our yard. We felt kind of sorry for it being by itself and all. And it could not make much racket by itself.

The other guinea deaths were from hawks, owls, and possibly dogs.... it is just a very dangerous neighborhood in our yard for farm foul.
BCO07
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

That snake saved you from a helluva lot of annoying racket over the years.

This. I'm sure there is something more irritating than guineas, just can't think of anything
jpc08
AG
Snake farm, just sounds nasty.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Pretty much is
BMo
quote:
I've heard of stuffing steel wool in weep holes to keep snakes and large insects out
Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy Scotch-Brite stainless steel dish scrubbing pads instead of steel wool, no rust that way and they aren't as fine as steel wool.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-Brite-Stainless-Steel-Scrubbing-Pad-3-Pack-214C-CC/202511523

xMusashix
AG
quote:
Steel wool is a very good idea. Mothballs periodically near any holes on the outside may help.

Most steel wool rusts.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.