Friends that don't understand technology

6,433 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by txam92
BlackGoldAg2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I feel that as nerds, we all have at least one friend that just doesn't understand technology. Sometimes to the point that it is painful. This morning I needed an outlet for my *face palm*. Because this gem showed up on my news feed:

Quote:

Just in case no one is aware but we no longer control the internet. Anyone can hack into the internet now!!

and in a follow up comment:
Quote:

That's why we have so many hacking problems now! Better check those credit cards

Average Joe
AG
I love telling people what "the cloud" actually is and watching their heads explode. It makes for great entertainment.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Average Joe said:

I love telling people what "the cloud" actually is and watching their heads explode. It makes for great entertainment.

It's a magical place of rainbows and unicorns that will solve all of your IT woes.
FatZilla
AG
mickeyrig06sq3 said:

Average Joe said:

It's a magical place of rainbows and unicorns that will solve all of your IT woes.

Iv convinced some idots before that since data is "in the cloud" now that when it rains, if people catch the rain that they can read it and steal your identity.

I wonder if they still think that... Never told them it was a load of bull lol
SlackerAg
AG
Now I just say, "buy a Mac" because I'm not everyone's Windows tech support.
TresPuertas
AG
nm
GoneForGood
Explaining encryption to the technology stupid is so much fun. Mainly because it makes me feel smart and like I know things.

If you really want to blow people minds, explain to then that their IP address is one of only 254 used for residential homes. Obviously leave out the NAT/PAT aspect of the Internet.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
i am struggling to fight the urge to ask her to explain how one would "hack into the internet"
AtlAg05
AG
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

i am struggling to fight the urge to ask her to explain how one would "hack into the internet"

"Hack the planet!"
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

See if you can convince her that Obama made them turn off the firewall because of carbon dioxide emissions.
agracer
AG
Is there any wonder why people have so much trouble with technology when tech companies (apple, google) do so much stupid crap when you upgrade software or devices? Just this weekend I upgraded my wife's iPad b/c the calendar was no longer syncing (yes, I rebooted, deleted/installed account, etc.)REALLY!.it worked just fine for several years and suddenly it won't link and sycn. It's as if Apple disables stuff to force you to upgrade your OS, which makes your old device slow and nearly useless forcing you to buy a newer, more expensive device anyway, sorry for the tangent.

Well, I upgraded the iPad and now suddenly all calls to her cell are going to the iPad and she is not getting any text messages.now WTF would upgrading an OS on a mobile device suddenly disable her iPhone. Yes, I've got it mostly figured out (some texts are still not getting in/out) but really I should not have to jump through hoops like that to make her phone work correctly when I update a completely separate device.

My cousin's wife has an android phone...never had an iOS device or an iTunes account (so it's not iMessage or Apple account issues). My wife cannot reply to any group txt messages she sends. I've searched for a solution and tried everything I've found but no luck. Single txt messages work fine, but not group messages.
kbassil
AG
Try explaining btc to them
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

BlackGoldAg2011 said:

See if you can convince her that Obama made them turn off the firewall because of carbon dioxide emissions.
I'm seriously concerned that I could, because apparently, the DDoS against Dyn was because "Obama handed over the internet"
GiveEmHellBill
AG

"Go to Google Earth and type in your address...."
Stat Monitor Repairman
Hell, I've had to tactfully explain to my boss that Google earth wasn't a live feed.
Brick Tamland
Did you turn off iMessage and FaceTime on the iPad?

Also, there's a setting under messages on iPhone that allows you to block or get group texts
Brick Tamland
I am pretty much the only teacher at my school who knows how to properly use their iPad and the apps we use for education. I went to a "technology" meeting and some teachers (late 20's, early 30's) were asking how to "make word and excel documents on google".

The worst part is, now everyone thinks I know absolutely everything computer related and ask me to do photoshop, which computer to buy, fix things for them, etc.
La Fours
AG
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

BlackGoldAg2011 said:

I'm seriously concerned that I could, because apparently, the DDoS against Dyn was because "Obama handed over the internet"
You should tell her they probably found one of the internet tubes and drilled a hole in it to watch people's internet traffic. And if she notices the internet running slow, that it probably means whatever tube she's using is clogged.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
PooDoo
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Hell, I've had to tactfully explain to my boss that Google earth wasn't a live feed.

One of the guys in our shop thought, after checking Google Earth, his wife was cheating on him because he saw his truck parked in the driveway while he was at work.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

Just tell her to watch out for those High Orbit Ion Canons. See what she does?
The Fife
At A&M I had a friend (C/O 01) who was like this, but she was pretty batty in general so it wasn't limited to anything technological. One time I mentioned that if she put the tower part of her computer higher than the monitor it'll run faster because the electricity goes downhill. Next time I was at her place there it was, perched on top of a bookshelf.

She was also convinced for a while that if you unplug the keyboard/mouse/... while it's on you'll get 0s and 1s everywhere and it'll make a big mess. That's what you see all over the printers at a computer lab - someone unplugged something and black stuff (actually toner) got all over.

Her computer was something miserable, a Compaq running Windows ME. It had the repair CD in a holder built into a little compartment on the top with a translucent gray cover so you could see right what was in there. She called because the mouse on her computer didn't work any more even after turning it off and back on again, and the absence of black powder behind the computer suggested it was in fact still plugged in. I told her to reboot the computer with the repair CD in it and it'll take care of the problem. NOPE. She couldn't figure out how to do the turn computer on/insert CD part over the phone and I had to drive over to Treehouse to do it for her.

When I was in grad school I worked at the departmental computer lab which also meant we handled secretary, TA and prof machines. The only regular customer I had was a professor emeritus who was in his mid-80s. He came in every day just to BS with other profs and read Drudge Report, and half the time needed help turning the computer off before he went home. He knew the power button was the wrong way to do it, but didn't remember the whole Start -> Shut Down thing. Since he was a nice guy I didn't mind walking over to help him out.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Tell me she was at least hot.
The Fife
AGSPORTSFAN07 said:

Tell me she was at least hot.
Maybe not quite hot, but very attractive then and still is now. But a lot of the things she did would really leave you scratching your head. Like one time at a party I told her if she smoked a cigarette backwards it wouldn't hurt her so of course she bums one off somebody and tries to light the filter for the next 10 minutes.

She's caught in that gray area where if she were to end up with somebody they'd probably get tired of basically living with Jar Jar without the annoying voice, and she's religious enough to not end up in some kind of FWB situation. We've kept up since A&M, she's been largely single the entire time.
Ark03
AG
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

It's explained in movies quite well: you can obviously hack the internet via either a Unix system or a Mac.

agracer
AG
Brick Tamland said:

Did you turn off iMessage and FaceTime on the iPad?

Also, there's a setting under messages on iPhone that allows you to block or get group texts
yes, did all that and for some reason she is still not getting texts from one of the kids. She was on Friday, then after I updated the iPad they stopped.
nai06
AG
Brick Tamland said:

I am pretty much the only teacher at my school who knows how to properly use their iPad and the apps we use for education. I went to a "technology" meeting and some teachers (late 20's, early 30's) were asking how to "make word and excel documents on google".

The worst part is, now everyone thinks I know absolutely everything computer related and ask me to do photoshop, which computer to buy, fix things for them, etc.
trying to give the benefit of the doubt here, but maybe they were asking if they could create word/excel documents on google ecosystem like a chromebook. Or maybe they were asking how to create the equivalent on a chromebook. I toss those out because chromebooks are being pushed heavily now in education

Or maybe they were just dumb
Stat Monitor Repairman
Been struggling for the past decade with secretaries that can turn a 10 page native pdf doc into an 200MB monster file that bogs down the email system and is (rightfully) rejected by the clients email system.

They can't understand how to take a file from their email and save it or forward it on. They'll print a hard copy then turn right around and run it through the scanner at max resolution so they can save it on the network drive. They'll do this **** with 1 pagers or 500 pages doesn't matter to them.

Was hilarious watching them trying to send out massive files over email bogging down theirs and every recipient in the offices email.

I tried over the years to educate people on this with no success. Their eyes would glaze over wondering if someone had eaten the half jelly doughnut that was left in the break room.

After years of this **** the network storage gets maxed out and instead of fixing the human element which caused the problem and they pay some IT shlub thousands to come out install more storage.

fig96
AG
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

Dammit, didn't see that JDC had posted the exact same vid
Flogi
Being the it schlub is great sometimes. Sell more things !
unmade bed
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

I think it would involve furiously typing on the keyboard
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Or 7 monitors

YouBet
AG
"The cloud" should go down as one of the greatest marketing gimmicks of all time.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
You all are SO brilliant !
ValleyRatAg
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Same Here. I am not an expert by any means just a competent user that pays attention when our IT guy fixes stuff. They think I am a wizard around here because I know how to map a network drive.

Anyway we have a vehicle tracking program that pings vehicle locations every five minutes or when there is a change in status of the vehicle (engine on/off). The owner of the company had that up on one screen and google earth up on the other. He was trying to use google earth to see what the people in the vehicles which had stopped and killed their engines were doing. I told him in order to do that he needed to adjust his google earth settings. Kept him busy for hours. The amusement finally wore off and I went in and told him that I discovered it was not a live feed and he couldn't accomplish what he wanted.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.