October 20th Nintendo NX Event

6,980 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by chipotle
hph6203
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty impressive list of companies supporting development on the Switch. Most surprisingly I'd say is From Software and EA. They have a chance this time.

• 505 Games
  • Activision Publishing, Inc.
  • ARC SYSTEM WORKS Co., Ltd.
  • ATLUS CO., LTD.
  • Audiokinetic Inc.
  • Autodesk, Inc.
  • BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.
  • Bethesda
  • CAPCOM CO., LTD.
  • Codemasters
  • CRI Middleware Co., Ltd.
  • DeNA Co., Ltd.
  • Electronic Arts
  • Epic Games Inc.
  • Firelight Technologies
  • FromSoftware, Inc.
  • Frozenbyte
  • GameTrust
  • GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE INC.
  • Gungho Online Entertainment, Inc.
  • HAMSTER Corporation
  • Havok
  • INTI CREATES CO., LTD.
  • KOEI TECMO GAMES CO., LTD.
  • Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
  • LEVEL-5 Inc.
  • Marvelous Inc.
  • Maximum Games, LLC
  • Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.
  • Parity Bit Inc.
  • PlatinumGames Inc.
  • RAD Game Tools, Inc.
  • RecoChoku Co., Ltd.
  • SEGA Games Co., Ltd.
  • Silicon Studio Corporation
  • Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd.
  • SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.
  • Starbreeze Studios
  • Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
  • Telltale Games
  • THQ Nordic
  • Tokyo RPG Factory Co., Ltd.
  • TT Games
  • UBISOFT
  • Ubitus Inc.
  • Unity Technologies, Inc.
  • Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
  • Web Technology Corp

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/20/13345640/nintendo-switch-third-party-support-bethesda-ea-activision/in/13110115
Bryan98
AG
Jim01 said:

I'm a Zelda completionist. I'll only buy it if there's Zelda. Hence I don't own a Wii U
Zelda for Switch was confirmed a looooooooooong time ago. I assume you didn't watch the trailer? It opens with tons of video of the new Zelda.

Switch comes out March 2017. I'm hoping/guessing $300.

Nintendo also said that the next system was more of a "platform", like iOS or Android, so I'm hoping that their next portable is a portable-only version of the Switch with a smaller screen that plays all the same software, etc. Obviously they could just keep selling this thing since it is portable, but I think they'll want a cheaper, smaller version for the kids.
bigbass1170
AG
I haven't bought a console Day 1 in a long time. That will change in March. This system is perfect for me.
Premium
AG
Nerds

hph6203
AG
Its Switch day! 11PM ET
A is A
AG
hph6203 said:

Its Switch day! 11PM ET
will we get to see fresh LoZ:BotW content?

i thought i read somewhere that we will see a demo during the announcement
hph6203
AG
I'm not really sure, expect that today's announcement will focus on a variety of games and features of the console and it's OS, and then tomorrow morning's event is going to get into the nitty gritty of the games discussed tonight.

Expecting Wii U ports, Mario 3D, Zelda and some indie game highlights, and hopeing for extensive discussion on how they're going to bring their OS and community into the modern age.
Gregg Papivich
Good lord this is terrible
VonDownByTheRiver
3rdGen2015
AG
I was only checking periodically on Reddit. What was bad about it?
dcaggie04
AG
Zelda available at launch.
hph6203
AG
March 3rd 2017
Paid online service like Xbox Gold
No region lock
2.5-6 hour gameplay
Charges with usb-C
Comes with Joy con dock controller
Analog stick buttons like Xbox/Playstaton
Accelerometer in each joucon
L+R buttons on each joy con
L+R button attachment
IR reader like Kinect on each Joycon
Force feedback (HD rumble)

Games
Quick draw game called 1 2 switch, basically Wii sports level stuff (weird)
Arms - Crazy looking boxing game with stretch arms (weird) in the spring
Splatoon 2 in summer
Super Mario Odyssey - 3D Mario Open World - Holiday 2017
Xenoblade 2
Fire Emblem Warriors
80 games in development
Dragon Quest 10 + 11
Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2
Shin Megami Tensei
Square Enix game
Skyrim
FIFA

Legend of Zelda is a launch title.

NoA sizzle real was the best part of the conference.
VonDownByTheRiver
3rdGen2015 said:

I was only checking periodically on Reddit. What was bad about it?
every piece of software except for zelda.
rangerdanger
AG
Xenoblade 2!
hph6203
AG
It'll be interesting to see what is going to be shown in the next couple of days, right now I'm underwhelmed. That was certainly a conference made for the Japanese market.
Pman17
AG
Cool stuff, I'm excited but...

I wanna see it in action!
What does the GUI look like?
Virtual Console?
Netflix? I think they said no on that since we all have streaming devices already like DVD players.
What do the online services look like? Mii?
Do we download the games or do they come in cartridges? (region unlocked so cartridges)
Internals? Ram? Storage? Resolution? FPS?
One launch game? Really?
Did they start manufacturing them? Or is it gonna be controlled quantities.

TreeHouse event tomorrow morning.
dcaggie04
AG
Nintendo.com/switch has some answer to a few of those questions.
hph6203
AG
Redout

Has Been Heroes

Binding of Isaac Afterbirth

Shin Megami Tensei

Splatoon 2

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Super Mario Odyssey

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Skyrim

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
lobwedgephil
Pre Orders are open in Best Buy for anyone interesting. Says ships for delivery launch day.
wee_ag
AG
Is it just me or is it basically a WiiU with removable controllers on the tablet/portable unit thingy? Underwhelmed.
Pman17
AG
ah, ok I see them
Pman17
AG
reserved one online for my local Best Buy
hph6203
AG
The Wii U controller needed line of sight with the actual console in order to function properly, and allow you to play games remotely. This thing is more like if you took a Wii U console, jammed it into the tablet gamepad (with a better design) and let you take it anywhere to play. It's not the actual hardware that I'm underwhelmed by, it's that they did a lot of non-sense talk about features that are only relevant to 6 year olds and their 65 year old grandmothers care about so they can have quality time together.

I wanted them to show the same hardware, at the same price, and detail their OS, their online structure, then go into "We have Zelda coming at launch, Mario Kart and Yooka Laylee a month later, Splatoon in May, Smash Brothers in August, NBA 2K18 in October, 3D Mario in November."

Hopefully we get more of that kind of stuff from tomorrow's press hands on, but Nintendo and the rest of these Japanese game companies need to realize that having your message translated by monotone people is a terrible way to build excitement. They should have stuck Reggie out there, had him do an overview of the system, and then 3-4 games people care about at launch, 3-4 in the launch window, and then 3-4 more by the end of the year and then finish with Zelda is coming at launch with full voice acting. The thing is that they had all of that in their sizzle reel, but they messed up the messaging again.
tamusc
AG
Brief shot of the system UI
http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/13/14261794/nintendo-switch-ui-user-interface

Three hours of battery life while playing Zelda. Not sure if I'd consider that good or bad. Leaning towards underwhelming though.
http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/13/14261644/nintendo-switch-battery-life-legend-of-zelda

Accessory pricing is pretty nuts too at $90 for another dock and $49 each for the Joy con controllers and $79 for a bundle with both Joy con controllers (plus another $29 for the Joy con grip!).
http://www.polygon.com/nintendo-switch/2017/1/13/14261292/nintendo-switch-controller-ac-adapter-price-wheel

All that being said, is it worth it for a new Mario, Zelda, Mariokart and Smash Brother? Would the ability to play a game like Skyrim on the go (for probably 2-3 hours on battery) be enough to get someone to buy it on this? I honestly don't know myself.

GoAgs92
AG
looks like something my kid will break in about a week.

hph6203
AG
The saving grace of the thing is that it charges via USB Type C, which means you could buy a 10000 MAH battery battery or a charging cable and charge on the go and probably expand that 3ish hours to 12.
agfan2013
AG
Pretty underwhelmed by the lineup for it. All they will have is the new zelda at launch and then a new splatoon game in summer, and a new open world mario in the fall.....Mario kart 8 and smash brothers are just ports with a few things added on and enhanced graphics.

Nintendo needs to be cranking out a 3D mario game every two or three years and alternating with a 2D version running about the same. Skyrim? cool it can play a 5 year old game that just got a remaster including mods on current consoles.....They need a seriously good lineup to get me to buy this thing, $300 isnt a terribly bad price but for what you are getting compared to microsoft and sony, $250 probably would have been better.

In short, if Nintendo wouldnt have had its early success and built up such a loyal fanbase, they'd be broke by now with their decision making as of late. Meh so far from me, but they still have a chance to impress me and get me to buy one. I too grew up on a super ninentdo and then N64
tamusc
AG
Very true, annoying that you'd have to play with a cable connected to a battery if you want to play for longer, but at least you have the option.
RebAg13
Pman17
AG
hph6203 said:

The saving grace of the thing is that it charges via USB Type C, which means you could buy a 10000 MAH battery battery or a charging cable and charge on the go and probably expand that 3ish hours to 12.
I think we'll see battery packs accessories that attach to the back of the Switch, so that'll be nice for a flight.
chipotle
Wanted to get this on day 1. But from what I saw I'll just wait. I'm going to be really disappointed if I have to pay 59.99 again for a mario kart 8 port.
hph6203
AG
Pman17 said:

hph6203 said:

I think we'll see battery packs accessories that attach to the back of the Switch, so that'll be nice for a flight.
For the low low price of 89.99 for 3000 mAH battery that works exclusively on the Switch!

tamusc said:

Very true, annoying that you'd have to play with a cable connected to a battery if you want to play for longer, but at least you have the option.
Gotta be honest, I don't foresee too many scenarios where I'm going to be playing for longer than a 3 hour stretch, other than if I'm on a plane.
tamusc
AG
Did they mention anything about the tablet working with any kind of wireless headphones? I know they said there was a headphone jack.
tamusc
AG
Get ready to be disappointed then, at least that would be my guess based on Nintendo's history
hph6203
AG
The patent filing showed that the device supports Bluetooth, it also show 5GHz support and definitively has wireless AC. That doesn't necessarily mean that it will support bluetooth headsets, the PS4 doesn't, but it would be pretty wildass, even for Nintendo, to block bluetooth headsets on a portable when the chip is inn the hardware.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.