Google Pixel (Nexus) Event Oct 4

20,207 Views | 184 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by howdydamnit04
RebAg13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Google Home looks great
Ark03
AG
Estimated delivery date: Oct 26, 2016 - Oct 28, 2016
TefIon Don
AG
Couldn't tell by doing a quick search, but do these phones have an sd slot?
MGS
Teflon John said:

Couldn't tell by doing a quick search, but do these phones have an sd slot?
Nexus phones hadn't had an SD slot since the Galaxy Nexus. (2012?)
GarlandAg2012
AG
Strongly considering jumping into the google ecosystem with both feet and getting a pixel and a three pack of homes when they become available. Wish I could hold a Pixel before preordering though.
RangerRick9211
AG
I wish Google Home could have also been a Wifi point. It already has the antennas.

And why don't they include an IR blaster? What's the point in telling Alexa or Google Home by voice to watch something on my TV when I still have to turn on my TV.
jagouar1
AG
You can do that with the echo (and I would assume home) via ifttt and the harmony hub. We have heard of native integration coming with to echo but it can be made to work.

That said it was almost a little funny watching them show home, it was almost a sales job for amazon echo since most of the cool stuff is already on echo but unlike home it has a robust ecosystem built.

I was kind of surprised that google didnt focus more on the things that set it apart from echo. Will also be curious to see the reviews in terms of accuracy compared to echo since it only has 2 mic's vs echo's 7.
hph6203
AG
I imagine that the Chromecast supports CEC, which can turn on the TV. My FireTV stick, for example, doesn't need an IR blaster to turn on my TV.
Hudson2508
AG
Just ordered the 5" version. Needed a new phone badly and didn't want to do the Next program on AT&T. Pretty pumped to get back on the pure Google platform. Had an HTC One M8 Google edition but it has reached its end. Wanted the blue version but that sold out and didn't want to wait. Hope it gets delivered before the late October ETA it gave me.
howdydamnit04
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Strongly considering jumping into the google ecosystem with both feet and getting a pixel and a three pack of homes when they become available. Wish I could hold a Pixel before preordering though.

You can always return it if you aren't happy. That's what I did with the 5x.
InspectionAg
AG
Definitely disappointed. No replaceable battery or wireless charging, only 1080p screen, and all this at a price more expensive than the s7, G5, or HTC option. Seems like Google just wants to make an iPhone.
Ronnie Mund
No water resistance?

Lol.
Skitch05
AG
Ended up pre-ordering an XL. Have a few weeks to decide whether to go through with it or cancel.

Heads up, but if you pre order you will get a voucher for a free Daydream headset/remote while supplies last. I don't remember seeing that in the presentation, but it is on the website.
John Beckwith
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

I would think Verizon store would have physical inventory. I would just make sure to purchase from Google directly
GarlandAg2012
AG
The only problem with that is waiting until there are devices in stock will cost me the $79 Daydream view and possibly the $200 trade in credit from Verizon.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Man, I'm really torn. There is no device that seems like a clear cut winner to me. I think the iPhone7+ might be the best phone out there but I don't want to switch ecosystems. LG V20? When will it drop? SGS7? Pixel?
RebAg13
AG
Really interested in the view vs my Samsung vr. I know the oculus has sensors built in to the headset to help with head tracking which I don't think the view does.
TefIon Don
AG
I can't decide either, but I know I want to stay with Android. I think I'd choose the 128GB option, that way there is no chance that storage is an issue.
howdydamnit04
AG
I got the 128gb 5" screen. Says I'll get it Oct 26-28th. I could get it from Verizon on 10/20 but I have such a bad taste in my mouth from carriers getting in the way of updates I don't want to risk getting any of their bloatware.
GarlandAg2012
AG
VZ has said they will only install 3 apps (My Verizon, go90, and Verizon Messages) and they'll be fully deletable. Also has promised security updates won't be delayed. Only issue is they haven't confirmed whether or not they'll delay other updates.
TefIon Don
AG
Android police confirmed that it will have a locked bootloader.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Correct, but does that matter other than if you want to root the phone? I haven't rooted since 2012 so I'm not sure if that affects me.
Ark03
AG
Teflon John said:

Android police confirmed that the Verizon Pixel phone will have a locked bootloader.
FIFY
howdydamnit04
AG
Still not trusting them. I'll wait for an extra week just in case.
Jason_Ag98
AG
I'm looking for a replacement for my LG G3 and was really hoping this would be a slam dunk, but I'm not sure. I went ahead and pre-ordered the 5" 128GB but will be looking at other options as well. I'm pretty heavily invested in the Google ecosystem, though, and the ability to get the 'pure' Android experience without carrier bloatware may push it over the top.
AggieFrog
AG
The Pixel is a solid phone but no wireless charging and not waterproof are big negatives at such a high price point. I'm more interested in what the S8 will bring. If not for the battery issues the Note 7 would still be the best overall phone currently available.
Ark03
AG
AggieFrog said:

The Pixel is a solid phone but no wireless charging and not waterproof are big negatives at such a high price point. I'm more interested in what the S8 will bring. If not for the battery issues the Note 7 would still be the best overall phone currently available.
I never saw the appeal of wireless charging, and I've never had a water issue with a phone. I try to avoid using a phone around a toilet, a sink, swimming pools, or wherever else you people manage to chunk phones.

So many of the top of the line phones are just too big, and that's a dealbreaker to me. I'd never buy something note-sized, no matter what specs and battery they come up with.
VonDownByTheRiver

Quote:

I never saw the appeal of wireless charging, and I've never had a water issue with a phone.

That's nice. You aren't everybody.
Caliber
AG
Ark03 said:

AggieFrog said:

I never saw the appeal of wireless charging, and I've never had a water issue with a phone. I try to avoid using a phone around a toilet, a sink, swimming pools, or wherever else you people manage to chunk phones.

So many of the top of the line phones are just too big, and that's a dealbreaker to me. I'd never buy something note-sized, no matter what specs and battery they come up with.
howdydamnit04
AG
Brad06ag said:

Ark03 said:

AggieFrog said:

Agreed. How do you even poop?
flintdragon
AG
howdydamnit04 said:

Brad06ag said:

Ark03 said:

AggieFrog said:

Agreed. How do you even poop?
If I drop my phone into the toilet while pooping, I'd have a new phone within the hour.
mmtexasace
AG
In regards to the lack of wireless charging, there are adapters sold on amazon that allow you to use that feature. Given it's a little piece of plastic that would need to adhere to the back or be sandwiched between the phone and a case, but in reality how many people actually use their phones without a case these days? So yes, it is a negative to not have that feature built-in, but that doesn't mean there aren't alternatives to make it work if you absolutely need it.
howdydamnit04
AG
mmtexasace said:

In regards to the lack of wireless charging, there are adapters sold on amazon that allow you to use that feature. Given it's a little piece of plastic that would need to adhere to the back or be sandwiched between the phone and a case, but in reality how many people actually use their phones without a case these days? So yes, it is a negative to not have that feature built-in, but that doesn't mean there aren't alternatives to make it work if you absolutely need it.

Naked phones are the only way to fly... Just feels right.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Ark03 said:

AggieFrog said:

Wireless charging is convenient. I've grown to hate cables, so it's something I'll look for in my next phone.

As far as water and dust proofing, that's not something you care about until you do. I had a phone once that was ruined by simple humidity. I never dropped it in water, got soaked with it in my pocket, etc. It just started glitching out one day and ATT said the moisture indicator showed it had either gotten wet or been exposed to humidity. Go figure.

Modern phones are better, but accidents still happen. Get caught in a downpour? Get pushed into a pool? Spill a bunch of stuff on your phone? No problem with a good IP rating. I've never dropped my phone in water or anything, even though I have a waterproof S5, but I feel better about using it knowing that I have at least some level off protection against the elements and accidents.
OasisMan
AG
howdydamnit04 said:

mmtexasace said:

Naked phones are the only way to fly... Just feels right.
still flyin naked on my note4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.