Pokemon Go coming to iOS & Android

1,140,619 Views | 10929 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by bankshot11
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it just me, or are gym battles just pointless unless you're like level 20 or higher? I haven't seen a single gym with a Pokemon with less that's 800 cp. There's no competing with that, even with a type advantage, unless you're at a high level and catching did that high.
MathNewman06
AG
quote:
Is it just me, or are gym battles just pointless unless you're like level 20 or higher? I haven't seen a single gym with a Pokemon with less that's 800 cp. There's no competing with that, even with a type advantage, unless you're at a high level and catching did that high.
Train at gyms owned by your same team to increase the prestige and allow more pokemon (including yours, at whatever CP) to be placed there.
Geralt of Rivia
S
I see some in CS that have around 400 CP sometimes, but I'm usually at a stop light and not close enough to fight
redline248
AG
I think gym battles are mostly pointless. Your actual pokemon don't get any benefit, and the trainer xp and coin reward is trivial.
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
quote:
Train at gyms owned by your same team to increase the prestige and allow more pokemon (including yours, at whatever CP) to be placed there.

Tried that, but I can't beat any of them. The highest things I have are a 647 Pidgeot, a 600 Rapidash, and a 525 rhydon. I can't compete with the 800+ cp vaporeons, jolteons, and flareons, much less the 1000+ snorlaxes and arcanines that are everywhere.
redline248
AG
Remember you can take 6 monsters into a battle, so you should be able to beat at least 1, then revive/potion them all back to full.
JJxvi
AG
You should be able to beat most by choosing a type advantage (eg water against fire). Ive beaten a double CP opponent before. Of course then theres things like Snorlax which doesnt seem to be weak vs any commonly available pokemon a lower level would have.
Charpie
AG
There was a pikachu in my neighborhood. Unfortunately it happened just as the skies poured open here in Austin for the first time in two months
TelcoAg
AG
Would've been hard to catch since he'd have a 2x damage advantage in the rain
Coppell97
AG
I've got Pikachu. I like to beat a gym and then put Pikachu there defending it.
Charpie
AG
quote:
Would've been hard to catch since he'd have a 2x damage advantage in the rain
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
Remember you can take 6 monsters into a battle, so you should be able to beat at least 1, then revive/potion them all back to full.

I beat a tangela once, but then the snorlax killed me. I thought he was down to 0 for a few minutes, but he wouldn't go down after another ten hits or so. That was the last thing I saw at my my level, though I just caught my first 800+ tonight.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Saw my first Magikarp while walking the dog earlier. Random things tend to show up in my neighborhood
redd38
AG
quote:

I feel the exact opposite. Gym battles are pointless because it's too easy to take a gym. Six human-controlled pokemon vs three or four AI-controlled pokemon is just too easy. So after you take a gym some other schmuck can easily take it right back over. I think the defensive team should have the advantage, make it a real challenge to take a gym.
redd38
AG
quote:
Saw my first Magikarp while walking the dog earlier. Random things tend to show up in my neighborhood

Congrats, just 100 more to go.
fcag
AG
The XP gained by fighting gyms just doesn't seem worth it, unless I'm missing something.
redd38
AG
quote:
quote:

I beat a tangela once, but then the snorlax killed me. I thought he was down to 0 for a few minutes, but he wouldn't go down after another ten hits or so. That was the last thing I saw at my my level, though I just caught my first 800+ tonight.

I think that's a glitch in the game, where the defending pokemon gets stuck at 1 hp left.

You need to make sure you're dodging when you're battling. I was getting my a** kicked until I started dodging. Now I can beat 2-3 Pokemon with each of mine.
aggietony2010
AG
quote:
quote:

I feel the exact opposite. Gym battles are pointless because it's too easy to take a gym. Six human-controlled pokemon vs three or four AI-controlled pokemon is just too easy. So after you take a gym some other schmuck can easily take it right back over. I think the defensive team should have the advantage, make it a real challenge to take a gym.

With some planning and work, you can get the gyms to a point where you have more than 6. I think the game plays well with the gyms in constant flux. They could maybe tune it a little towards defending, but I don't think a stagnant map would be good for the game.
redd38
AG
quote:
The XP gained by fighting gyms just doesn't seem worth it, unless I'm missing something.

XP from training at a friendly gym is not worth it. XP from fighting at a rival gym could be worth it if you don't have lots of Pokemon around to catch instead.
Geralt of Rivia
S
quote:
quote:

Congrats, just 100 more to go.

**** yeah!
TexasAggie_02
AG
Right now the only reason to hold a gym is to get gold coins to buy more lucky eggs, lures, or incubators
redd38
AG
Ok, stats time...

Collector: Captured 1610 Pokemon
Jogger: Walked 133.40km
Breeder: Hatched 45 Eggs

Whatcha got?
redline248
AG
quote:
I've never played Pokemon and don't really game, but like to keep up with pop culture. Can someone tell me if this is going to blow over in a few days or do I need to start playing so I'm not the only loser not playing?

I think you missed on what would make you the loser of this thread
j/k
Ganondorf
AG
quote:
Ok, stats time...

Whatcha got?

Raptor
AG
Just hatched this from a 2km egg!!!!

Drake aTm
AG
I want a pigachu
Drake aTm
AG
So, if I my Pokemon has like an average of 80% on the iv calculator, is he worth upgrading? Spending all that stardust on?

Can someone clarify?
MathNewman06
AG
quote:
So, if I my Pokemon has like an average of 80% on the iv calculator, is he worth upgrading? Spending all that stardust on?

Can someone clarify?
Which pokemon it is and its moveset are more important.
Raptor
AG
quote:
I want a pigachu

I caught a 60cp Pikachu already, but this one is so much prettier!
TelcoAg
AG
quote:
Ok, stats time...

Whatcha got?

Raptor
AG
quote:
quote:
Ok, stats time...

Whatcha got?

832 Pokmon
89 km
32 eggs

FightinTexasAg15
AG
814 Pokemon
92 km
58 eggs
ftaggie09
AG
559 Pokemon
34.5 km
41 eggs
Drake aTm
AG
quote:
quote:

Can someone clarify?
Which pokemon it is and its moveset are more important.

So it has to be in its final form? Or do you mean it preferably being one of the stronger Pokemon?(VAPOREON,snorlax,dragonite etc.)

What are good move sets? The ones that take longer to charge?

Thanks
Drake aTm
AG
Also, I saw a guide that said, "save your dust until you hit max level 40".

The only issue is that I don't see myself hitting that level in the next decade. Should I spend the dust anyway?
First Page Last Page
Page 47 of 313

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.