Milky Way Photos

16,408 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tk for tu juan
TexasAggie_02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bonus Pics:

Temple of the Bearded Man, Chichen Itza, Yucatan

El Castillo, Chichen Itza, Yucatan

Both Taken with Canon 6D and Tamron 28-75mm F2.8. Both images are composites. 1 pic was exposed for the ruins, the other exposed for the sky.
YouBet
rjhtamu
AG
Great shots guys.

that timelapse in the cemetery is fantastic!

My skytracker is an iOptron http://www.ioptron.com/product-p/3302w.htm
Guitarsoup
AG
Great stuff.

Only one I have. The green wasn't really that visible to the eye, had to do a lot of work to bring it out. Plus the long exposure as seen with the cloud movement.
bthotugigem05
AG
I need to get out with the a7rII and do some astrophotography soon, great pics everyone!
wee_ag
AG
quote:
Great shots guys.

that timelapse in the cemetery is fantastic!

My skytracker is an iOptron http://www.ioptron.com/product-p/3302w.htm
Sweet - would this track with with a telephoto lens on say Andromeda?
rjhtamu
AG
It should, but you have to watch the weight of the lens/camera, and for really tight zoomed in shots you have to spend that much more time with your polar alignment or you'll still get star trailing.

Guitarsoup, I don't mind the cloud blurriness at all, in fact I think it adds to the shot, really like that one.
rjhtamu
AG
Not Milky Way, but some other's I've gotten recently...

Saturn

Moon featuring crater Plato

Dumbbell Nebula

Ring Nebula
labmansid
Awesome! OK, so what lens and settings were you using for those?
MBAR
AG
That sky tracker is really tempting. Taking a trip out to Big Bend in October so maybe before then.
Wife is an Aggie
rjhtamu
AG
quote:
Not a lens, but my telescope which makes it essentially a 2350mm supertelephoto with 9in aperature.
DBSwooper

From this July. Casa Grande from The Basin, about 10ft from my tent.

D800, Tokina 16-28 f/2.8
labmansid
quote:
quote:
Not a lens, but my telescope which makes it essentially a 2350mm supertelephoto with 9in aperature.

I thought those had more of a telescope look to them. So will you be taking some shots of the Lunar Eclipse the night of the 27th this month?
labmansid
Wow, awesome shot from the Basin. Someday I'll make it out that way to those nice dark skies.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AggieDruggist89
AG
Milkyway photo is not that difficult.

But the timing is important. You want moonless and cloudless night. Set the iso at 3600...exposure 25 to 30 seconds at f2.8 and manually focus slightly under infinity. Post processing, set the temp around 3300..

DBSwooper
quote:
Milkyway photo is not that difficult.

But the timing is important. You want moonless and cloudless night. Set the iso at 3600...exposure 25 to 30 seconds at f2.8 and manually focus slightly under infinity. Post processing, set the temp around 3300..

A basic guideline to get you close with out trailing the stars, which will make them look fuzzy...unless you're doing a star trail shot: 400 divided by your focal length for your shutter speed, use your ISO to get the exposure right (but have a good understanding of the ISO limitations of the body you're using). It isn't perfect every time, but if you're new to trying the shot, it'll get you kind of close.
dave99ag
AG
Another option for star trails is to stack your shots if you have a remote timer. I've done this once with fairly decent results.
Herne the Hunter
This is probably one of the more comprehensive sites I've found on applied astro and nightscape photography.
Clark Vision Astro and Nightscape Photography
wee_ag
AG
quote:
Another option for star trails is to stack your shots if you have a remote timer. I've done this once with fairly decent results.
Done a number of these over the years. This is one of my favorites:

MBAR
AG
The stacking images for star trails works well in places where you have a lot of ambient light. If its a really dark sky then the long exposure will work, but anywhere near a city your exposure will be really poor if you leave it open for the length of time necessary for star trails.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
The stacking images for star trails works well in places where you have a lot of ambient light. If its a really dark sky then the long exposure will work, but anywhere near a city your exposure will be really poor if you leave it open for the length of time necessary for star trails.
you should probably stack regardless for star trails. The longer the exposure, the more noise you end up with. stacking shorter exposures greatly reduces the noise.
MBAR
AG
Yeah thats actually a really good point.
Commander Gorn
AG
These are awesome!
rjhtamu
AG
Here's my first real attempt at an on location shoot.

Location is near Lorena, Texas, south of Waco.

Guitarsoup
AG
quote:

Looks real good. I think I would like to see some lights in the windows. That might give it a little more life. Love the stars and sky, though.
dave99ag
AG
Good shot!

I'd like to do a similar shot with an old wooden house / shack and a singular lamp inside.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
Good shot!

I'd like to do a similar shot with an old wooden house / shack and a singular lamp inside.
here's one i did 2 years ago in the Davis Mountains. You can see the Big Dipper above the Cabin. The cabin is lit by the Moon behind me, camera left. I set the lamp in each room on the floor and took the shade off of it.

dave99ag
AG
Nice!
TexasAggie_02
AG
beautiful shot of the sky!
rjhtamu
AG
quote:
quote:

Looks real good. I think I would like to see some lights in the windows. That might give it a little more life. Love the stars and sky, though.
Good suggestion!

I was at my parents' in law's place and they were already in bed so I didn't want to disturb them much.

kurt vonnegut
AG
Outstanding pictures!
OD
Any good shots of Andromeda? That would be my first project were I to get the right equipment.

With astrobinoculars, I've found the little fuzzball at the center of Andromeda. Took me almost a month to do so as I live in Edmond, a suburb of OKC and the light pollution is at minimum, moderate.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.