Milky Way Photos

16,353 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tk for tu juan
bthotugigem05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone getting the eclipse tonight? I don't have the focal length to get a detail shot of the moon so I'm going to try for a multiple exposure look over the Dallas skyline.
dave99ag
AG
I hope to, but the clouds have rolled in today in CS.
MBAR
AG
Pretty much no shot of seeing in CS.
dave99ag
AG
Yeah, the rain is rolling in and will probably arrive around eclipse time. It was starting to rain in the Woodlands as I was leaving for CS this afternoon.
bthotugigem05
AG
A few clouds in Dallas but they're supposed to clear right around 9pm. Will be out with a buddy (also an Ag) who is out-gearing me and shooting with a 5DS and 500mm f4 with 2x teleconverter.
wee_ag
AG
I did a thing

bthotugigem05
AG
MBAR
AG
Really cool!
Guitarsoup
AG
My FIL shot this in ABQ.

Canon 5DR with the 100-400 II.
Guitarsoup
AG

Nice shot of Dallas.

https://www.facebook.com/LookingUpPhoto/photos/a.365900596797807.81801.365885116799355/880714271983101/?type=3&theater
bthotugigem05
AG
Here was my attempt at the same kind of concept.

Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Here was my attempt at the same kind of concept.

http://i.imgur.com/1bZ1kKm.jpg
Just need to get further away and grab more focal length. Don't know that bridge, so may not have been possible.

I say this as someone who has never shot the moon, BTW.
jr15aggie
AG
Beautiful shots guys! But I must say... they pale in comparison to seeing it with my own eyes sitting on my front porch!!!
Guitarsoup
AG
http://gizmodo.com/here-are-the-best-images-of-last-nights-supermoon-eclip-1733319976
Guitarsoup
AG
This was a pretty good idea:

http://www.lizbarney.com/blog/secrets-of-the-supermoon
bthotugigem05
AG
Oh definitely, agree 100%. Once I got my base shot I was planning on switching to a 55mm to get slightly more compression instead of the 16mm I was at. Problem was the clouds were terrible at the start, so I ended up just doing the whole thing at 16mm. Knowing what I know now I would've switched to a vertical composition to negate the convergence, since I pretty much cropped out the entire right half of the image.

What I was happy with was this was the first time I had a concept in my head and was able to (marginally) pull it off. So much about the image I would change and so many things I wish I would've done better, but the planning that went into it will help me grow as a photographer.

Also, I learned that no matter how much RAM you have, loading 160 42MP raw files into layers in PS will absolutely melt your computer.
Guitarsoup
AG

quote:

Also, I learned that no matter how much RAM you have, loading 160 42MP raw files into layers in PS will absolutely melt your computer.

As a D800 owner, my big shoots with that are pretty much "Hit ingest and walk away"

My FIL has the 50MP 5D R, but I haven't used it yet.
bthotugigem05
AG
I got to shoot with my buddy's 5DS last night (on his 500mm) and it was pretty crazy looking through the files (he sent me the raws). I was proud of my little a7rII, held it's own very nicely, never thought in a million years that I'd be able to see detail of the moon with a frame shot at 16mm.
bthotugigem05
AG
Reworked it a bit

Guitarsoup
AG
Blood moon.

dave99ag
AG
I remember learning how to spell "blood" with my fingers in high school.
Guitarsoup
AG
https://www.facebook.com/EvgenyYorobePhotography/photos/a.533648176698895.1073741828.532063620190684/1043048242425550/?type=3&theater

Another nice moon shot
labmansid
Bumping this thread, since I recently finally made it out to Big Bend National Park. I spent four nights there, and the first night was the only clear night I had. I'm glad I got some shots that first night, even though I would have liked to scout out something better for a foreground subject. These were shot from the parking lot behind the lodge I was staying in in the middle of the park, in the Chisos Mountains. Even at the lodge, it was really dark.

A vertical shot using the Rokinon 14mm on a Canon 6D. ISO3200, 20 second exposure.

Here is a single horizontal from a series I did for a time lapse. Caught part of an early Perseid meteor on this one. The vegetation was lit solely by the muted lighting from the lodge grounds. The small clouds were lit by a crescent moon off to the right.

Time Lapse.

VonDownByTheRiver
Cool thread!

I got to see the milky way for the first time in my life a few weeks ago at Copper Breaks State Park, their dark sky program is pretty neat. Bunch of amateur astronomers came out with their rigs and we got to see some planetary nebulae, the rings of Saturn, Mars, and more. Totally free (sans car fee for the park), highly recommend.

My pic is not all that great, but I was striving to process it to recreate how it looked in the sky vs overly brightening it.

TexasAggie_02
AG
weird, i've posted in this thread, but the bump didn't show on my watchlist. is there an expiration on watchlisted threads?

awesome shots btw!
spieg12
AG
Just wanted to bump because of the awesome pictures.
Ag_of_08
AG

Picked this up today as an entry into more serious astronomy, and for astrophotography.

Cannot say enough nice things about the staff at Land, Sea, and Sky in Houston. Patience of Saints, and sound advice.
titanmaster_race
I am jealous
Ag_of_08
AG
Have wanted a good scope since I was little bitty. Mom bought me a Meade 4" with a "power drive" for my big Xmas gift when I was 10 that sams sold.....the drives promptly died two weeks later!

Dad had finally figured out how to use the equatorial mount by the next fall. He passed away 20 years ago the 18th..... Today i finally put my foot down and decided to buy the scope I always wanted, and might have a chance of using !!

Now I'm just hoping I can get the thing lined up! The overcast is killing me, I had it powered on and tinkering with set up earlier. I won't be trying pictures for a while, but I think I'll figure it out.
RabbleRouser07
AG
rjhtamu said:

Here's my first real attempt at an on location shoot.

Location is near Lorena, Texas, south of Waco.

Wow I grew up in super small town Lorena. I looked at the website you posted the picture from and realized you married the sister of my childhood best friend. I'll have to tell Dusty I saw his BIL on TexAgs.

Small world.
tk for tu juan
RabbleRouser07 said:

Small world.

...while taking pictures of an expanding universe
titanmaster_race
Could you track the ISS with that beast?
Ag_of_08
AG
titanmaster_race said:

Could you track the ISS with that beast?

I'm not 100% sure tbh. I THINK so, but I will have to look in the manual.

I haven't used a German equatorial mount since I was in high school, and then I was lucky to get it aligned and on the moon or another bright target. I've only played since then, and really only started researching in the last few days what it would take to step off more seriously, and bought this one with the understanding it would do exactly what I needed, but I had to learn to operate it!

I will definitely have to look in to that though
Ag_of_08
AG
The answer to your question:

Yes. The newtonian reflector I have on it might not be the best(apparently an apochromatic refractor is superior here), but the mount is capable. I just have to find it and get it programmed as a custom object, and the mount will track it.
Ag_of_08
AG
Not of the milky way, but snapped this with my cellphone through the eyepiece. Only my second time with the scope set up, I missed seeing venus trying to get aligned, and am prolly going to Houston tomorrow for a slightly higher magnification eyepiece, I could just make out Andromeda galaxy. Might try a milky way shot off the mount with the gh4 if I can get a dew heater going, but it's to cold for long exposure.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.