Assassin's Creed - Unity

9,113 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by slickag2007
benMath08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes, it would be cool...
Fenrir
Should have added it during a time anomaly.
wangus12
AG
I think he might have been being sarcastic there lads
IJones23
quote:
Should have added it during a time anomaly.
Hmmmmm..
IJones23
I don't like how they changed the fight mechanics.
OldArmy07
AG
I think the new mechanics are great so far. Much harder to win battles against 20 bad guys. Stealth and climbing down are much improved as well.
slickag2007
AG
The fight mechanics are a little tough. But I feel like it makes me think a little bit more than the usual "parry and then stab" mechanics of the previous games. I find myself using the smoke bombs more than I ever have in the past.
Bobcat06
AG
I'm finishing AC: Rogue before I upgrade to a X-Bone and play AC: Unity, but the fighting mechanics have gotten pretty repetitive, which makes the game play kinda boring.

They made huge improvement in fighting mechanics (as well as everything else) between AC1 & AC2, but fighting mechanics have gotten pretty stale since then. A change is a good thing.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
I think the new mechanics are great so far. Much harder to win battles against 20 bad guys. Stealth and climbing down are much improved as well.
Yeah, before the number of enemies was pretty irrelevant. Counter, get a kill, then chain that kill until everyone is dead. You were basically invincible.

Now you actually have to make an effort.
agfan2013
AG
Enjoying this so far, it's not perfect, but a solid entry in the series.

Graphics are good: textures and character models/animations are top notch and the engine can put a ton of AI on screen at once. Not all of that comes without fault though, there is frequent pop in, and something I've noticed is the game will completely reload a character as you are running towards them sometimes. Doesn't happen often (seen it maybe twice in my first 2 hours of play) but It is fairly noticeable when it does happen. I've also hit some sections where the frame rate drops, not enough to be game breaking, but definitely noticeable.

I like the new gameplay mechanics. Fighting isn't totally different but it does have some new elements to it. The ability to free run up or down is a really nice improvement; I can free run across the rooftops just as fast as sprinting on street level, you feel more in control of where you are running and the result is less mess ups where you climb a wall or jump to something you didn't want to.

Haven't played coop yet but overall I'm pretty pleased with this one. It probably won't top Black Flag in my book, but that's just because i really enjoyed the tropical & outdoor setting plus the naval battles of that one.

Seven Psycho Ags
***** VERY EARLY SPOILERS?****

Can someone clarify something for me? I've just become an assassin. Did I become an Assassin to avenge my Templar mentor's death AND my father's? Seems like there's a conflict of interest (not to mention banging a Templar)

*****END SPOILERS?****

Also, I seriously need to brush up on French Revolution history
Kampfers
AG
The pure number of AI is pretty awesome. That feeling when you are on the run, round a corner, and then seamlessly blend in with the massive amounts of AI milling about...
wangus12
AG
SPOILERS

Psycho, that is pretty much the jest of it. Templar chick rejects and all he has left to drive him is killing her fathers murderers.
wangus12
AG
Also, it is great to be back in big cities again. They done a fantastic job of recreating Paris.
agdoc2001
AG
Finally got to put in a few hours tonight - this games a bit crap, isn't it? Frequent frame drops (ps4), mission breaking glitches, and too many pop ups. When I collect anything I can't even read the pop up window because there's usually 2 other useless pop up windows in front of it. (I get it, I have 1 unused assassin point, leave me alone). The new mobility system didn't fix anything, I'm still running up random things in the environment, and I've hit L2 at the windows as instructed, it doesn't work, the newish combat system isn't groundbreaking, just really difficult which a cynical person might suggest was just a ploy to get you to buy their boosts or other micro transaction currency.

Between AC and Watchdogs this year, ubisoft is burning a lot of goodwill among its console gamers, and their pc ports are notoriously bad. Wish I'd waited on reviews for this one.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MSCAg
AG
So far, I like the story better than 3 and 4. Much more interesting characters and characters I can like. I like the fight mechanics, I feel like there is much more incentive to retreat than fight 25 baddies.

The Eiffel Tower was one of the funnest climbs of any AC game.

That said, very unimpressed with a lot of the frame issues. I love the city but I kind of wonder if Ubisoft bit off more than it can chew. Feels like it needed a couple more months of polish and cleaning. Fun game still, but they could have done better.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
the newish combat system isn't groundbreaking, just really difficult which a cynical person might suggest was just a ploy to get you to buy their boosts or other micro transaction currency.

The game is called "assassin's creed", not "invincible warrior". Combat is supposed to be hard. It's supposed to be a punishment for getting spotted, not a first resort. I definitely prefer the new system, although it's still not so challenging - I can routinely fend off 5 or more enemies if they are my level or only 1 above.

Did a mission last night that had a ton of 5* enemies though (I was 2* at the time and the mission was advertised as 3*). Got destroyed a few times before I finally figured out a stealthy approach.

I've heard the frame drops are much worse on ps4 than xb1 (I haven't experienced many problems), and I agree those need to be fixed asap. I also had one instance where I glitched through a wall, but in the end it wasn't much of a problem. Just reloaded the checkpoint and continued from there.
19 inch cobra
My three main complaints about this game are (1) major frame rate issues (XB1), (2) slightly sluggish and unresponsive movement and combat, and (3) lack of diverse scenery/environments.

I'm getting used to the controls themselves, and they're fine (even though I prefer Black Flag's), but everything just seems a little bit slow/sluggish, and I get tired of looking at the dreary, debris-filled streets of Paris. It all looks the same. That being said, I like the story, the characters, and the mission variety, which is why I play these games.

My measuring stick is Assassin's Creed 2, which was a 10 IMO and will probably never be matched, but I'd probably give it a 7.5 out of 10 so far. If I were buying it separate I'd wait until the price drops some, but it came with my console so I didn't have to pay for it.
agfan2013
AG
quote:
The game is called "assassin's creed", not "invincible warrior". Combat is supposed to be hard. It's supposed to be a punishment for getting spotted, not a first resort.

I like this take. Agree 100%
wangus12
AG
quote:
My measuring stick is Assassin's Creed 2, which was a 10 IMO and will probably never be matched, but I'd probably give it a 7.5 out of 10 so far. If I were buying it separate I'd wait until the price drops some, but it came with my console so I didn't have to pay for it.
I agree for the most part. Probably a solid 8.5 in my book. The story has been good and the different missions are excellent. I must have a defective copy because I've had only one frame rate issue and everything else has worked perfectly fine. My biggest complaint would be that I was hoping for multiple cities like AC2. But they did an impressive job with making Paris a 1:1 scale on the game. Its freaking huge.
MSCAg
AG
I don't mind the single city. My one critique of AC2 was I felt a couple of the cities were so small.
Fenrir
quote:
I don't mind the single city. My one critique of AC2 was I felt a couple of the cities were so small.
Yeah, haven't played Unity but Rome >>>>>>> All of the AC2 cities combined...and I loved Venice in AC2.
Seven Psycho Ags
Thanks Wangus!
wangus12
AG
Beat the game. Overall, I'd rank it behind AC 2 and Black Flag. Level with Brotherhood.

The gameplay was good and I really enjoyed the change in the fighting style. The game was a little buggy here and there, but nothing too bad. The coop mode was fun, but I hope they keep it as a side mission for the game. I wish they would bring back the brotherhood recruiting part of the game, even if its on a small scale. I'm interested to see where they go from here. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't ready for some playtime in as a present day assassin, mainly to continue the main plot, although I enjoy going back in time. I'm curious to see where they take it next.

**************SPOILERS***************

My biggest complaint was the ending. It was about as predictable as ever with the final battle playing out like it did.
slickag2007
AG
You can do the recruiting thing on the companion app. I just started messing around with it a bit. It's a decent little distraction every once in a while at work.
Kampfers
AG
Anyone want to do some 4 player coop this weekend? I usually have 1 or 2 friends online for Unity but can never seem to find a 4th.
OldArmy07
AG
I'll try it. shoot me an invite if you find other folks.
SECivil Ag-11
AG
This game is $30 on Amazon today only. How does the game perform now that's been a while? Worth it?
jeffk
AG
quote:
This game is $30 on Amazon today only. How does the game perform now that's been a while? Worth it?
Yeah, I cashed in some of my Bing rewards points for Amazon gift cards and got it for $15.

Looking forward to trying to catch up with the thread.
agfan2013
AG
quote:
Enjoying this so far, it's not perfect, but a solid entry in the series.

Graphics are good: textures and character models/animations are top notch and the engine can put a ton of AI on screen at once. Not all of that comes without fault though, there is frequent pop in, and something I've noticed is the game will completely reload a character as you are running towards them sometimes. Doesn't happen often (seen it maybe twice in my first 2 hours of play) but It is fairly noticeable when it does happen. I've also hit some sections where the frame rate drops, not enough to be game breaking, but definitely noticeable.

I like the new gameplay mechanics. Fighting isn't totally different but it does have some new elements to it. The ability to free run up or down is a really nice improvement; I can free run across the rooftops just as fast as sprinting on street level, you feel more in control of where you are running and the result is less mess ups where you climb a wall or jump to something you didn't want to.

Haven't played coop yet but overall I'm pretty pleased with this one. It probably won't top Black Flag in my book, but that's just because i really enjoyed the tropical & outdoor setting plus the naval battles of that one.

I posted this earlier and stand by it. I've "finished" the game now, but there is still a ton of stuff to do. Keep in mind my experience is on the PS4 so YMMV.

As for technical problems, I experienced almost none. The frame rate did drop a couple of times but gamebreakingly (don't know if that's a real word or not but I'm using it) never for more than 3 or 4 seconds and it wasn't fequently, less than 10 times all game that I can remember.

As kampfers I think it was said, it's really awesome to have guards chasing you down a street and you turn a corner into a large crowd and you just blend in seamlessly and get away. The amount of characters the game can out on screen at once is amazing, and they are all full functioning people. If you pull a gun out and shoot some will run away, others will cower in fear, etc.

If you liked precious AC games, you will like this one and if you didn't like them, then nothing here will change your mind. Black Flag remains my favorite AC game, as I really enjoyed getting out of the cities and into the tropical/jungle environments and the ship battles were really fun too.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
quote:
Yeah, I cashed in some of my Bing rewards points for Amazon gift cards and got it for $15.

Looking forward to trying to catch up with the thread.
I still haven't done most of the co-op so if we're online at the same time I'll work through some of those with you.

I know Scott and CRM also have the game although they haven't played in a bit, I also have a third friend who could help us do the 4 player missions.
OldArmy07
AG
I'm waiting on the performance patch to pick it back up and continue. Was supposed to come out today, but it's been delayed.

Plenty of other games that are working a bit better to keep me occupied, and I really want to play the best version of it without the glitches if I can.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
I'm waiting on the performance patch to pick it back up and continue. Was supposed to come out today, but it's been delayed.

Plenty of other games that are working a bit better to keep me occupied, and I really want to play the best version of it without the glitches if I can.
I thought they had already dropped the performance patch? Or at least the one they did drop resolved all of my issues, at least with regards to the single player campaign.

Went and read about the patch, it was pretty vague about what was included but I'll be following that now, thanks.
millertyme
AG
After the Amazon sale, add PSN: tlhero50 to the list for co-op.
slickag2007
AG
I beat the game about a week ago and enjoyed it overall. I do think that Arno is pretty forgettable as a main character. But any main character is going to have a hard time living up to Ezio in my opinion. I never used a single boost. I found that by playing the companion game on my phone that I could earn a good amount of money which I used to buy the social clubs. Once you have those you'll be raking it in and can afford the better equipment.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.