Assassin's Creed - Unity

9,107 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by slickag2007
Mr.KyleReed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Picking this up today after work. Pretty excited.
hph6203
AG
quote:
quote:
This game actually starts with a mission select rather than story introduction? Or did I somehow select some side DLC?
Keep playing. I think that was just to immerse you into their "universe" with the machine that lets you relive your ancestors' memories. You'll notice only one mission was unlocked.

Was a real question to make sure I was on the right arch, because I started the download last night and it was only 7gb and wanted to make sure it got the full download.

I've noticed some fbs issues, but wouldn't have bothered me if I wasn't looking for it.
wangus12
AG
Just finished playing through Black Flag again. Definitely one of my favorite games and on of the best AC games. Totally forgot that damn song Anne Bonny sings at the end, "The Parting Glass". That song gets played at every funeral I go to. Damn thing makes me tear up.
MSCAg
AG
It looks good and glad they are getting back to their roots of a big city. That said, I'm ready for them to advance the story a bit more.
Kampfers
AG
The art in this game is absolutely jaw dropping. Versailles is gorgeous.

Of course, everyone is still pitching a fit because its not 1080p and the frame rate dips at times (I personally have not experience this, at least to a degree where I actually notice it)

Obviously, that makes the game an unplayable piece of **** that should have never seen the light of day

I really hate what the gaming community has become.
CRM1712
AG
Really enjoying the game so far. However, after doing a co-op I was trying to go to friends list and accidentally clicked on Destiny instead and now I can't reload my profile. Thinking I have to start over. F'in sucks
wangus12
AG
Agreed Kampfs. The game is gorgeous. My first synchronization blew me away. I predict many hours will be spent on this bad buy. And it actually works (lol Halo)
benMath08
AG
Coop has been glitchy for me. Unable to complete the 2nd and 3rd missions. The 2nd due to enemies spawning inside walls or the lady we're supposed to follow not moving. The 3rd due to "desync due to too far from target", when it clearly wasn't the case. It even did it to me as I was killing the last sniper.
SECivil Ag-11
AG
The only reason I brought the frame rate up is because sites were saying that it was dipping to around 10 fps pre-patch, and at that point it becomes unplayable. But it looks like the consensus is that the patch took care of it and it runs well now. Great to hear that you guys are enjoying it so far! I love Black Flag so I'll definitely be picking this one up soon.
tremble
AG
Game got seriously panned by most of the review sites.

I think what got me was the $99 microteansactions and the chests that can only be opened up by playing companion app games.

DAI is getting great reviews and looks to be 80 hrs+ minimum so I'll pick that up and wait on this game.
wangus12
AG
I've gotten to the point where I trust critics for games as much as I do for movies, which is absolutely zero.
srob2004
AG
I love the companion app. Just like the one for black flag. I have a 10 inch tablet that can basically keep the map up 100% of the time instead of jumping to the other menus every so often. I have not played any nomad missions on it yet.

I *really* loved the ability in the Black Flag app to send our your ships and actually engage in combat via the app. (nice meeting distraction)
Fenrir
quote:

Of course, everyone is still pitching a fit because its not 1080p and the frame rate dips at times (I personally have not experience this, at least to a degree where I actually notice it)

Obviously, that makes the game an unplayable piece of **** that should have never seen the light of day

I really hate when people assume their experience matches the whole. There are enough videos out there showing framerate issues that it's not just made up. I saw a video yesterday with dips into the low 20s regularly and down to 18 or 19 as the low point. That's pretty bad. Add in the ridiculous "micro"transaction pricing that was hidden from reviewers and the review embargo that ended the day of release and you're obviously going to have some complaints.

These are jarring fps issues here. That is an issue.

It's amazing that some people seem to take complaints against a game's performance so personally and then exaggerate the complaints to try and minimize them. It's a poorly optimized game that will likely improve soon, but it's not unreasonable to have complaints about the issues and the ridiculous microtransactions.
Mr.KyleReed
AG
I am really enjoying this game so far. Of coure I only got to play it for about and hour last night, but so far it is stunning. Very intrigued by how this 'Last Known Line Of Sight' thing will play out in the future.

And I really try not to read the reviews or critics of the game before I buy it. It seems to ruin it for me. It makes me look at and notice things I may never see until its pointed it out to me.

Prime example was, before Texags, I never noticed the Bevel in the logo....now....thats all I see.
Thanks Obama.
OldArmy07
AG
Played for ~45 minutes last night. FPS issues are prevelant, but so far not as bad as what I was expecting.

I don't get the microtransaction garbage from ubisoft. It's cool to have them, but they are rammed down your throat a bit here. They must make a fortune on these things.
MSCAg
AG
quote:
Game got seriously panned by most of the review sites.

They probably should have slept with the reviewers.
agfan2013
AG
quote:
quote:

I really hate when people assume their experience matches the whole. There are enough videos out there showing framerate issues that it's not just made up. I saw a video yesterday with dips into the low 20s regularly and down to 18 or 19 as the low point. That's pretty bad. Add in the ridiculous "micro"transaction pricing that was hidden from reviewers and the review embargo that ended the day of release and you're obviously going to have some complaints.

These are jarring fps issues here. That is an issue.

It's amazing that some people seem to take complaints against a game's performance so personally and then exaggerate the complaints to try and minimize them. It's a poorly optimized game that will likely improve soon, but it's not unreasonable to have complaints about the issues and the ridiculous microtransactions.

I really hate when people are drama queens and escalate stuff unnecessarily. Nowhere in his post did he say everybody else is lying and because he doesn't have problems it means the game doesn't have any. The gaming community as a whole does whine way too much and if anything, you seem to have taken something personally. It wouldn't have been hard to just say "hey man, here are some links to support my argument. So count yourself lucky you havent experienced any problems yet but I do think there are some wide spread issues"

Now to get back on topic, I'll be getting this Friday and still have fairly high expectations. I'm curious to hear more of yalls coop experiences and if it seems like something that will be sticking with the franchise from now on.
benMath08
AG
I can see the frames drop occasionally, but I'm also used to playing most games on my PC with 50+ fps. Overall it hasn't been a big deal, maybe the day 1 patch fixed a lot of it.

The coop has been a little disappointing with how glitchy it is. In addition to the stuff I mentioned before, me and my buddy ran into a problem yesterday where he simply couldn't interact with the game world. He could walk around and we could voice chat fine, but he couldn't attack and no enemy could attack him. It eventually fixed itself after about 10 minutes, in fact it allowed him to walk right to up a guy and slit his throat face to face.

We also might suck but some of these 2 player missions are damn hard.

jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I really hate when people are drama queens and escalate stuff unnecessarily.

You are describing NeoGaf! That site is good to find breaking news, but the over the top opinions are laughable. I've never had an account on that site and never will... it makes our "zoo" look very tame. Good for browsing only.

The link above is also PS4 footage. I think it has more issues than the XB1 version (which is what Kampfers plays on and mentioned he didn't notice that many problems).
jay040
Am I correct in understanding that AC Unity is only on PS4/XBONE and not PS3 or 360? Are we now seeing when the game companies are stopping to publish on the older generations?
SECivil Ag-11
AG
Yes. Ubisoft released AC: Rogue for PS3/360 on the same day as Unity but no review copies were sent out and honestly hasn't even been advertised, I don't recall seeing any.

I hope we're moving in that direction. Unity might be the guinea pig in being one of the first AAA games on PS4/XB1 only. Developers still spending time on the older generation is holding gaming back right now, imo.
millertyme
AG
AC Rogue was made for the old gen systems (PS3/XBox 360).
Kampfers
AG
I don't really understand the hubbub about micro transactions. Maybe I'm missing something, but are they necessary to access any portions of the game? The only thing I see them for is boosts, which are completely unnecessary. It seems like they are like the "shortcut" packs in BF4. Pay a little money, cut to the front of the line, essentially.

Unless they are explicitly locking in-game content behind a paywall, I really don't see the issue with offering micro transactions like that. You don't want to buy them? Don't. Simple as that. I know I won't.

I think the online servers were getting hammered last night. I was unable to connect. I'm going to see about starting a club for Ags tonight, and maybe run a co-op mission or two if anyone's online.
jay040
It seems that Unity and Rogue are different games... being released at the same time on different systems. Which one is considered the next int he story after Black Flags? I would have expected that they would make Unity for both, with PS3/360 versions not having the latest capabilities, etc like they do with Madden, FIFA, etc. It seems stupid to make separate stories for separate consoles. Am I understanding this correctly?
Fenrir
quote:
quote:
I really hate when people are drama queens and escalate stuff unnecessarily.

You are describing NeoGaf! That site is good to find breaking news, but the over the top opinions are laughable. I've never had an account on that site and never will... it makes our "zoo" look very tame. Good for browsing only.

The link above is also PS4 footage. I think it has more issues than the XB1 version (which is what Kampfers plays on and mentioned he didn't notice that many problems).
Big issues for some PC players as well.

Microtransaction system in gaming is largely broken and relies upon (and takes advantage of) a relatively small group of people that will spend just about anything the game asks them to. Somebody correct me if this is incorrect, but the smallest pack of credits costs $20. There is nothing micro about that.

Ubisoft will get the technical side nailed down for the most part anyway, at least to an acceptable degree and the first patch might very well do that. But the way they released this game just leaves a bad taste in some people's mouths for valid reasons.
OldArmy07
AG
quote:
I don't really understand the hubbub about micro transactions. Maybe I'm missing something, but are they necessary to access any portions of the game? The only thing I see them for is boosts, which are completely unnecessary. It seems like they are like the "shortcut" packs in BF4. Pay a little money, cut to the front of the line, essentially.

Unless they are explicitly locking in-game content behind a paywall, I really don't see the issue with offering micro transactions like that. You don't want to buy them? Don't. Simple as that. I know I won't.

I think the online servers were getting hammered last night. I was unable to connect. I'm going to see about starting a club for Ags tonight, and maybe run a co-op mission or two if anyone's online.

Agreed that we could just ignore them (and I do, as long as it isn't pay to win in multiplayer). The issue is that it creates a perception that they divert resources to develop systems for purchasing and using in game content vs. devoting those resources to making the game we're paying $60 for better. Maybe these resources are totally different, and maybe the money they anticipate getting from the DLC funds the teams that are making the game better. Maybe not. I just think the game should be damn close to running perfectly before they try to urge us to give them more money.
I Like Mike
AG
If microtransactions are NOT required to access game features, who cares? Don't by them! Simple as that!

I play the hell out of WarThunder, and I don't spend a dime unless I want to. It's really not that big of a deal.
slickag2007
AG
The worst part I have seen was when you get to the Assassin's stronghold. It was completely dark, with no graphics besides the characters whatsoever. You could tell when the characters would go down stairs, but absolutely no visuals.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
It seems that Unity and Rogue are different games... being released at the same time on different systems. Which one is considered the next int he story after Black Flags? I would have expected that they would make Unity for both, with PS3/360 versions not having the latest capabilities, etc like they do with Madden, FIFA, etc. It seems stupid to make separate stories for separate consoles. Am I understanding this correctly?
Unity would have been incredibly hamstrung if released on 360/PS3. It would have had to be redeveloped from the ground up. They wrote an entirely new framework for the new consoles. Rather than writing Unity as a completely different game, they instead had a different studio write Rogues.

Madden and FIFA basically only release roster updates on the last-gen consoles. Everything on next gen is running on an entirely different engine.
codenameduchess
AG
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Big issues for some PC players as well.

Correct, I've heard that too. People not able to get the game running on PC standards with ridiculous rigs.

It's troubling because we all have 3rd party games we are really interested in. As of now, some 3rd party games are still showing noticeable differences between consoles... the lead platform getting the better version. Just hoping some of the games I'm looking forward to early next year get good XB1 versions.
wangus12
AG
I haven't had any issues after playing a few hours last night one XB1. Everything has run smoothly so far. There was one point when I was climbing a church that the FR dropped, but it occurred over about a 5 second period and that was it. I don't even know what the whole micro-transaction thing is about.
rangerdanger
AG
I've only had two or three slow downs during my early playthrough last night. Surprisingly it was inside of a church with 0 npcs inside of it. I was just climbing around and suddenly the whole thing just slowed to a grinding halt. Other than that, its been relatively smooth on my ps4.

The one thing that's bothering me though are the treasure chests that require you to download the companion app in order to open. I'm guessing the color of the blip on the radar signifies if its one of those or not, but, there should be an option to turn them off since I dont want to download that app. Buying Creed pointd are at least limited to menus.
Seven Psycho Ags
Wait wait, were they too lazy to add the EIFFEL TOWER?! I wanted to freeclimb that thing!
Mr.KyleReed
AG
quote:
Wait wait, were they too lazy to add the EIFFEL TOWER?! I wanted to freeclimb that thing!
Would be cool, but..
quote:
The French Revolution proper lasted from 1789-1799, but many people consider the age of Napoleon (1800-1815) to be part of the revolution, too
quote:
The Eiffel tower in Paris was inaugurated on 31 March 1889. It was the keystone of the Universal Exposition celebrating the hundredth anniversary of the French Revolution.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.