Building Kyle Field in Minecraft, need help

24,756 Views | 152 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by kbassil
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow, this certainly came along. Good job guys!
ja86
kbassil
AG
*Update:

Ok guys... Had an idea. I know there's LOTS of good games that either JUST came out or WILL come out in the coming days. With this in mind, I have decided to make a few sweeping changes that I hope will help everyone enjoy building better, faster, and smarter.

1) I have moved the server to a dedicated Host, which will be up 24/7 for the next few months.

2) I am in the process of installing specialized WorldEdit programs that will allow people to QUICKLY do the building/changes they want. This should cut down build times trememdously.

3) I will soon be opening the server up to the public so people can come and go as we build. The visitors will have limited powers, and cannot build or destroy a single thing. However, this will help HYPE the build even more.

4) I will be backing up the world every 8 hours or so, and maybe more once guests start coming in (just to be safe).

***5) Starting today, I would like to ENCOURAGE people to start their own Aggieland MEGA builds outside of the stadium. In other words, if you've been wanting to build the Baseball stadium- DO IT! If you wanted the clock tower- IT's YOURS!
Note:
a) Please coordinate through the "Aggiecraft" thread on TheNerdLounge so people don't double build.
b) Please somehow indicate where your build will be located
c) DO NOT WORRY ABOUT LOCATION... I can move any structure with my world-edit programs. The hard part is getting these built, the easy part is moving them around.

Let me know if you like/dislike these changes! I'm always open to advice.

[This message has been edited by kbassil (edited 10/6/2011 1:06p).]
jr15aggie
AG
That's awesome guys. Minecraft is the only modern PC game that I have (because my laptop is not very powerful). I really enjoy messing around with the game from time to time but I don't use any mods or anything... dig it all up myself and then build it.
kbassil
AG
The dedicated server has finally been setup to receive guests. Gusts will be unable to build or destroy, but flight & OOhing/Aahing is enabled.

You nerds tell your friends.

Information on server:
http://www.thenerdlounge.com/Forum/Thread-Aggiecraft

[This message has been edited by kbassil (edited 10/8/2011 9:40a).]
kbassil
AG
Oops... Sorry wrong link. THIS is info on that server: http://www.thenerdlounge.com/Forum/Thread-Minecraft-Server
commando2004
AG
Impressive work!
commando2004
AG
Could you build a Bonfire stack next?
wee_ag
AG
I'm already planning a bonfire
kbassil
AG
Bonfire is a must. It will happen.

Took a cool screenshot after a long night of work. Thumbs if you like.

*Note: I had to use a little artistic interpretation at times, due to the difficulty of using 1x1m blocks.

[This message has been edited by kbassil (edited 10/9/2011 12:39a).]
Ag20??
AG
Actually someone already did bonfire. Had the outhouse on top and everything, and the fight song playing. Will try to find the video.

Edit: Well that was easy. Here.

[This message has been edited by Ag20?? (edited 10/9/2011 2:05a).]
Scruffy
wee_ag
AG
Well done kbassil! That looks awesome
ja86
kbassil
AG
Thanks wee... It's really coming along. We still need your eye for the final set of stairwells whenever you can look at it, but there's no big hurry. We've actually begun work on Olsen now
BradC34
AG
I completed the field for Olsen. I decided to stick with the pre-renovation plan because (1) it's easier because the lines are straighter, (2) measurements can be had via Google Earth, and (3) I'm fairly familiar with the original stadium.

And for those wondering, I marked off the distance from Kyle Field, so in-game it is roughly in the spot it would be in real life in relation to Kyle. The reason you can't see Kyle, which is some 400 meters away, is because the game can't generate a draw distance that far.
wee_ag
AG
Well done brad
MichaelJ
AG
I applaud all you minecraft nerds...this is truly an accomplishment
kbassil
AG
As a quick update-

Having the server set up to accept guests has proven to be productive. The server shows that almost 50 unique Minecrafters have visited! I happen to be on for 1 of the visitors... It's always awesome to see people get excited / blown away by our work. Ended up converting one guest to a member, and he has already done some cool creative work around the stadium.

If you're on when you see a guest, ask them if they'd like to help. The more helpers, the faster we get work done.

[This message has been edited by kbassil (edited 10/12/2011 9:40a).]
kbassil
AG
Any of you minecrafters might want to check this out:

AGGIECRAFT - Action/RPG

http://www.thenerdlounge.com/Forum/Thread-New-MC-Server-Plan-2-Action-RPG
kbassil
AG
*Update Time*

Latest updates:

Shell is basically complete, aside from some basic touchups and hiding the skeleton with outer walls.

[This message has been edited by kbassil (edited 10/18/2011 12:36a).]
kbassil
AG
want to see the work from space and chat with the builders?

http://thenerdlounge.dyndns.org:8123/
BradC34
AG
Sweet. It's also cool to see where Olsen and Kyle Field are in relation to each other. It looks right and we'll know for sure once a road is put in.
BradC34
AG
I also wanted to reiterate that the field-level tunnel at the 50 is on the wrong side. Should be on the west side, not the east side.
kbassil
AG
Brad - do you know how to build the stands behind the baseball field?
BradC34
AG
Yes. I've done it before, it's just a matter of sitting down and doing it.
kbassil
AG
I understand... hard to step away from all the other great games out right now.
Jackass2004
AG
Man what an epic waste of time. Develop a cheap app and try to peddle it for a buck instead.

Great job though.
kbassil
AG
Wanted to take a moment and bring everyone up to speed with what's going on with AGGIECRAFT.

Kyle has been an interesting project to work on. Some days there are 5+ people working at once, but then it will go several days (usually weekdays) where noone joins. Keeping in mind that this server was created due to generous donations, I began to feel that it's just not being used to its full potential. And so, I've decided to make some adjustments.

Starting very soon, the server will be changed form a "Free Build" to something that will draw more traffic and (I hope) have more of an impact on a wider audience. "Free Build - Kyle Field" will be transformed into "Aggiecraft: RPG".

I can go into more detail later if you want, but here is the basics- the server will be an RPG (level up for new abilities), will contain an in-game economy (using Aggiebucks), will have trade (such as buy/sell land, goods, services), and will have different Classes. All players start as "Students" and upon graduating can choose from 1 of 3 other classes. Here's a slight bbit more detail:

1) You start as a Freshmen, unable to do anything- even place blocks. You live in a dorm, on the A&M campus area.

2) By "Senior" level, you can do most things and participate in events like treasure hunts, etc.

3) Once you graduate from "Senior" level, you pick one of 3 Classes to go into: Engineers, Businessmen, & Faculty. Each class has MANY unique characteristics.
a) Faculty work with all new students
b) Engineers handle all building and protection for a price
c) Businessmen buy/sell land.

4) The Engineers will participate in an ongoing "Build Campus" project, where THEY will be the ones to keep building sections of A&M.

5) All current builders will either be mods or a high rank of any class they want. I want this to be a positive change for those who have been putting in time

CLOSE:
By setting it up this way, I hope to not only have a unique, FUN place to play, but to also give builders a little something else to have to look forward to when they sign in. Building one giant thing all night every night isn't all that fun... but being able to take a break and do other enjoyable things will ensure that players will remain satisfied and add life/longevity to the server.

[This message has been edited by kbassil (edited 10/24/2011 1:24p).]
kbassil
AG
pics of updates:

kbassil
AG
Have several updates for those of you still following this.

1) Our server has officially been sponsored by the Host we were using: RedstoneHost. Because of the amount of traffic we are recieving from forums like TEXAGS, they have bumped our server from 32 players max to 80! This is huge and opens up a LOT of possibilities for the new direction we are taking. More details here: http://www.thenerdlounge.com/Forum/Thread-AggieCraft-has-an-official-sponsor

2) Pman17 (a true Ag) has been kicking @ss and taking names. Here are a few more pics of his recent work:

All pics from all helpers found here:
http://www.thenerdlounge.com/Forum/Thread-Aggiecraft?pid=1209#pid1209

3) Our BETA has been going strong for about 1 week now, with several key issues being brought up by players and squashed by the devs. We are currently looking at going live HOPEFULLY by this Friday. Updates all found here:
http://www.thenerdlounge.com/Forum/Thread-AGGIECRAFT-BETA?pid=1210#pid1210

4) The wiki for Aggiecraft has been overhauled. Logo has been added. You can view it all here:
http://www.thenerdlounge.com/Forum/Thread-Basic-Wiki-on-AGGIECRAFT-Levels-Rank-etc

[This message has been edited by kbassil (edited 11/7/2011 10:44a).]
CDub06
AG
Man, I've never played the game. But this is awesome.
kbassil
AG
Updated WIP video thanks to TexAg- Pman17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeXIaH4brWc&feature=youtu.be
mchatz
AG
I've never played either but this is so cool!!!
AgAllen5412

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.