Bluey - The Sign

13,510 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by CDub06
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
STOP SQUABBLING
CDub06
AG
I think Fairytale is my favorite episode, but I really loved The Sign.

However, I think about Take Away a lot, personally. Sometimes I'll tell my kid "no" on something without a good reason. Then I'll reflect on the lesson from that episode and tell the kid to go crazy. They're only kids once. Embrace it and say No less.
fig96
AG
double aught said:

fig96 said:

Love that episode but the ending was spoiled by my kids watching it before I got to see the whole ep.

And while not as emotional an episode, Granny Mobile legit cracks me up every time. Unicorse is also pretty epic.
Granny Mobile is 8 minutes of nonstop hilarity. I love it.
YOU PAINT IT.
jeffk
AG
CDub06 said:

I think Fairytale is my favorite episode, but I really loved The Sign.

However, I think about Take Away a lot, personally. Sometimes I'll tell my kid "no" on something without a good reason. Then I'll reflect on the lesson from that episode and tell the kid to go crazy. They're only kids once. Embrace it and say No less.

I definitely think about Take Away regularly. Same with Cafe.
Brock Sampson
AG
Anything with the Grannies is a classic. We quote I SLIPPED ON MY BEANS daily in my house.
bluefire579
AG
NICE PARKING SPOT RITA
nickstro66
AG
I think cricket is one of my favorite episodes. I half expect for Rusty's dad to be a professional cricket player who was on the road with a team.

Rusty hitting the ball to his sister after his dad writes to take care of her was such a sweet payoff.
jokershady
AG
Baby Race got all over me…

We have 3 kids now but back when we had just one my wife worried a lot about things like this episode so dang did it hit home when we saw that one…
jeffk
AG
nickstro66 said:

I think cricket is one of my favorite episodes. I half expect for Rusty's dad to be a professional cricket player who was on the road with a team.

Rusty hitting the ball to his sister after his dad writes to take care of her was such a sweet payoff.

His dad is in the Army.
Legal Custodian
AG
Rain is my favorite as it is so peaceful with no dialogue and a great song.

Even though my kids say they don't like it (mainly cause I pick it so much) but they always watch and it makes them have to sit intently and truly watch what's going on. Which is nice cause it provides a bit of a break from the normal 3 & 5 year old chaos.
The Porkchop Express
I mentioned this on the other Bluey thread, but last September, my 2 daughters and I filmed a shot for shot version of the Unicorse episode and gave it to my wife as her birthday present using my daughter's monkey stuffed animal as unicorse and my other daughter's stuffed Yoda as his lawyer.

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Legal Custodian
AG
And in case anyone was wondering what the lessons being taught in the Sign episode are:

It's that just because you don't want something to happen, it doesn't mean that it's not a good thing. And that you should roll with the punches and trust that things are meant to occur how they're supposed to.

And from Bandit's side of things, maybe more money isn't the end all be all to giving your family a good/better life.

So kinda the exact opposite of "whine until you get what you want."
nickstro66
AG
I had forgotten that going into the episode. Got a little choked up when Rusty was reading the letter.
The Porkchop Express
nickstro66 said:

I had forgotten that going into the episode. Got a little choked up when Rusty was reading the letter.
The brief, "years-later" or "years-before" tactic on Bluey is the easiest way to get me going.

This damn gif makes me cry. Damn you, New Zealand!

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
htxag09
AG
Quinn said:

While I love the show and this episode, am I the only one who wishes they had gone through with the move? Would have taught kids that families have to move sometimes and I would have been interested to see the new house and friends that the creator could come up with.
I'll preface this by saying I don't watch Bluey and haven't seen this episode....

But I have a friend who's moving and just listed their house for sale. She said her 3 and 6 year old tried to pull the sign out when it went in the yard late last week....

So...yeah, she wishes they had gone through with the move. As she said...when a kid show is showing the difficulty of handling a tough situation in a show, make them go through with the tough situation and see the benefits.
jeffk
AG
Worth noting that the episode shows two other families actually going through a move too. The Heelers' situation definitely gets the lion's share of the attention for good reason, but if you're talking to kids about the realities of having to leave a home, there's a couple of examples in that same 30 minutes you can point to.

Also the whole theme is "We'll see..." Seems lucky to not have to move! Seems unlucky not to!
Legal Custodian
AG
htxag09 said:

Quinn said:

While I love the show and this episode, am I the only one who wishes they had gone through with the move? Would have taught kids that families have to move sometimes and I would have been interested to see the new house and friends that the creator could come up with.
I'll preface this by saying I don't watch Bluey and haven't seen this episode....

But I have a friend who's moving and just listed their house for sale. She said her 3 and 6 year old tried to pull the sign out when it went in the yard late last week....

So...yeah, she wishes they had gone through with the move. As she said...when a kid show is showing the difficulty of handling a tough situation in a show, make them go through with the tough situation and see the benefits.
But there might not be any benefits. Which is a point of the show, it's true to reality. Just because a hard decision has to be made, good or bad or both can come out of whatever decision you make. And you have to roll with the punches.

Most likely your friend's kids would still try to pull up that sign even if Bandit went through with the move. You know, cause they're kids and they're gonna parrot whatever they see as a game. This is just a good opportunity for your friend to have a conversation with their kids and teach them what the lesson learned actually was.

Or, as Bandit says in one of the episodes, don't take direction from a cartoon dog.
jeffk
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Damn you, New Zealand!

Eh, forget it. It's an angry Chili look gif.

Gigem314
AG
Great episode, but now my 7-year-old keeps asking "Are we going to move?" and I have to keep telling him no. Figured that was going to happen.

Guess I should just appreciate the little time we have left of him wanting to watch a show like Bluey non-stop instead of something more grown-up and complicated.

It's overwhelmingly the most watched show on our TV right now at all times of the day. Honestly, it could be much worse. I don't envy the dads that have to endure princess movies all the time.

Bluey has a great message, they don't make the dad out to be a moron like a lot of shows today, and we can all laugh at something. They know their audience - and the parents generation of their audience.
double aught
AG
fig96 said:

double aught said:

fig96 said:

Love that episode but the ending was spoiled by my kids watching it before I got to see the whole ep.

And while not as emotional an episode, Granny Mobile legit cracks me up every time. Unicorse is also pretty epic.
YOU PAINT IT.
Bugalugs, take me home!
double aught
AG
Brock Sampson said:

Anything with the Grannies is a classic. We quote I SLIPPED ON MY BEANS daily in my house.
My five year old will say "I dropped my coins" in Bingo's granny voice, and it kills me every time.
MooreTrucker
AG
My kids grew up in the Barney the purple dinosaur era, but my grandson likes Bluey so I get to watch it a little bit when we're visiting them. It's truly a fun show even for adults.

Ms. Rachel can drive you nuts after awhile but the kid is mesmerized by her.
maroon barchetta
https://babylonbee.com/news/parents-suddenly-realize-theyve-been-watching-bluey-alone-for-three-hours?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3novzV6bWHCZifFtYd_6h5mVSlTUXW0eoVNa2lvhY09kfzqk52KyPId7o_aem_Ac19L8kqQaIT3zPDGuKf34-AJhXUP2wN0NIOuFybDMJDfo0M52chYESZTOGr5Yemt17gcDdI3PDaWwjoRU2wZnM0
The Porkchop Express
Bloomberg cites a report from market research firm Circana that Bluey accounts for 29 percent of TV views on Disney+. The release of "The Sign" extended episode boasted 10.4 million views on the platform, making it "both the most-viewed Bluey episode premiere and the most-viewed Disney Junior episode premiere ever," based on a release sent out by Disney.
ABATTBQ11
AG
That's not a shocker. I'm going to go out on a very short and very thick limb here and say that Bluey is one of the all time best TV shows ever made, anywhere. It's wholesome, poignant, incredibly deep, and universally appealing to just about all ages. To top it all off, it's got incredible animation, voice acting, and music. It's just incredibly good in every respect.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of great TV out there and a lot of series that have gone on for decades and had incredible cultural impact, but I can't think of one that is as appealing to parents and teenagers as it is to toddlers and young children.
jokershady
AG
Makes me curious to know from just a viewership perspective….how much is Bluey worth right now compared to Star Wars….and I'm talking just streaming platform
jeffk
AG
You know Netflix is just kicking themselves for passing on it.
Brock Sampson
AG
Not to mention the incredible music.

Cat Squad!
Gigem314
AG
jeffk said:

You know Netflix is just kicking themselves for passing on it.
"Biscuits!"
The Porkchop Express
jokershady said:

Makes me curious to know from just a viewership perspective….how much is Bluey worth right now compared to Star Wars….and I'm talking just streaming platform
Probably no that much - they produced that couched stat of "29% of TV viewership" is Bluey. Other than then Star Wars cartoon, none of the SW programs qualify as TV shows - they are all exclusively streaming.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
I think the true brilliance of Bluey is its re-watchablity and all the amazing easter eggs and background details. It is clear that it is a labor of love.

I think it is a top 5 show for me.
redline248
AG
One of my favorites is The Claw, when Bandit says "we're getting the house cleaned and the kids are learning a valuable lesson," and Chili says "neither of those things is happening."
fig96
AG
redline248
AG
It's a top 5 for sure
Ag87H2O
AG
fig96 said:

double aught said:

fig96 said:

YOU PAINT IT.
I have seen my grandkids watching Bluey for years and never paid much attention, but I did sit down with them and watch an episode a few weeks ago where mom left dad in charge and Bluey or Bingo or a cousin ran away with a cell phone the dad was trying to take away. Don't know the name of the episode, but I thought it was hilarious.

I also watched The Sign with them last weekend and thought it was fantastic. I can't believe it has made me interested in going back to binge watch a blasted cartoon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.