Shogun 10-episode miniseries coming to FX

47,898 Views | 415 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Rudyjax
Stive
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dude95 said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

Stive said:

My perception last night was that the old man was in on it. He was, right? Isn't that what was being stated to Mariko at the end? He was either asked to kill himself and agreed, or was told to and obeyed prior to the climactic scene. Toranaga didn't "play" him and drive him to it right? If so, that's a pretty impressive back and forth acting job they did to sell it to everyone else.

And why would he ask his son to second him?

This one is a little harder for me to decide on, but I go back to that one line of dialogue in an earlier scene...all of the younger guys are disgruntled that Toronaga is just giving up, but the old guy stops them and says to them along the lines of, "Our Lord is going to fight. Otherwise why would he send the message of surrender back with the priest."

The old man knows Toronaga has something planned. I'm just not sure if he's fully in on it or if he just trusts his lord enough not to question him, and instead just play along with whatever Toronage is pushing and blindly do whatever he's told to do.

I tend to think that even the old man didn't fully know Toronaga's plan and he just blindly put his faith in him, simply because they've portrayed Toronaga as someone who always keeps all of his cards close to his vest, spilling his details to no one.
Expectation is someone will be telling the Osaka crew that Toronaga is so bent on surrendering that he is willing to have his best friend commit seppuku. I think it's a ruse - whether it was agreed on by the old man before hand or it was because Toronaga just knew he would do it. I don't understand who is the messenger though - the priest?

The son is the second because he knows he will do a good job. Don't want to make a mess out of it.
It's 100% a ruse...Toranaga and Mariko discussed it after it was done. Seemingly, the only question was whether the old man agreed to it before hand and played his part, or if Toranaga knew how he would react and pushed him to it in the moment.

The messenger that the old man was referring to when they left the meeting where Mariko was asked to translate was the priest. The old man didn't think Toranaga was actually surrendering because he had told the priest to deliver the message to Osaka. I guess if he were really surrendering, he would have asked one of his closest advisors to deliver the message? Or maybe he would tell them himself and commit seppuku on the spot? But asking the foreigner to deliver the message, was a signal to the old man that it was a fake out. And maybe since the old man wasn't falling for it, Toranaga knew that his enemies wouldn't fall for it either? But now they have to believe him because of how he let his closest confidant die.
Belton Ag
AG
I'm loving the Blackthorne/Yabushige team up, here. You could tell in the cliff scene earlier that something was going to happen with those two. They begrudgingly respect each other.
Stive
AG
Belton Ag said:

I'm loving the Blackthorne/Yabushige team up, here. You could tell in the cliff scene earlier that something was going to happen with those two. They begrudgingly respect each other.
Same. I'm just wondering how Toranaga will use them though!
LB12Diamond
AG
I have YouTube tv. This worked for another show that I watched and had not recorded.

Go to the search icon in the top right. Start typing the name of the show. Its large icon should pop up. Go click on it and all episodes of the season should pop up even if you had not set up to record. Then go to the episode you would like to watch.
LB12Diamond
AG
Stive said:

Belton Ag said:

Same. I'm just wondering how Toranaga will use them though!

They are controlling their fate.
Counterpoint
AG
In the official podcast the producers imply that Toronaga knew that some of his men would probably do what Hiromatsu did, but he didn't want/expect it to be Hiromatsu. But realized in the moment that his paternal figure's seppuku would be the most effective for spies in their midst.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Max Power
AG

This show just keeps getting better IMO. I know I need to do a full rewatch because I'm sure there's plenty I've missed the first time around but I'll wait until it's over before doing that. They're not scared to slow play things and they don't throw in any unnecessary exposition. I never read the book but I'm really appreciating what they're putting on screen. I'm also glad they're not just having everyone speak English, subtitles don't bother me at all especially since I've gotten to the point where I watch a lot of shows with closed captioning because sometimes there's dialogue you can only pick up on if you get to read it, which is true for some tv shows and movies. Every episode of this show seems to fly by and it's over before I know it. This feels like the show of 2024, going to be hard for anyone to beat it but I've seen some glowing reviews for Fallout so that might give Shogun a run for it's money, just in a different way.
jenn96
AG
TCTTS said:

That's so dead on.
Rascal
AG
EclipseAg said:

Great episode ... this show is really good, and I'm finally figuring out who is who and what's happening. LOL

I actually like the fact that so much is subtitled. Forces me to concentrate more.
Interesting point. I have been thinking this also. The subtitles instinctively annoy me, but it may be working out OK.
Rascal
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Stive said:

My perception last night was that the old man was in on it. He was, right? Isn't that what was being stated to Mariko at the end? He was either asked to kill himself and agreed, or was told to and obeyed prior to the climactic scene. Toranaga didn't "play" him and drive him to it right? If so, that's a pretty impressive back and forth acting job they did to sell it to everyone else.

And why would he ask his son to second him?

This one is a little harder for me to decide on, but I go back to that one line of dialogue in an earlier scene...all of the younger guys are disgruntled that Toronaga is just giving up, but the old guy stops them and says to them along the lines of, "Our Lord is going to fight. Otherwise why would he send the message of surrender back with the priest."

The old man knows Toronaga has something planned. I'm just not sure if he's fully in on it or if he just trusts his lord enough not to question him, and instead just play along with whatever Toronage is pushing and blindly do whatever he's told to do.

I tend to think that even the old man didn't fully know Toronaga's plan and he just blindly put his faith in him, simply because they've portrayed Toronaga as someone who always keeps all of his cards close to his vest, spilling his details to no one.
Episode 1 the Spaniard is telling Blackthorne about "3 hearts to survive": the one you let the public see, the one you let your friends see, and the one you have to bury deep within yourself.

That is Toranaga to a T. Beautiful storyline playing out!!!!
BDG02
AG
Yep; Toronaga was planning more for the 3 generals who dressed in armor for his sons funeral procession in Protest of surrender would be the ones to object and seppuku, but Hiromatsu spared them as a leader. I personally don't think Toronaga would have chosen him to be the sacrifice ideally, but once Hiromatsu made the choice, Toronaga couldn't back down in front of his men, and let Hiromatsu do what he did for the sake of the ultimate plan.
Cliff.Booth
I find myself constantly craving good hibachi steak and fried rice when I'm watching this series.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

I find myself constantly craving good hibachi steak and fried rice when I'm watching this series.

I have been watching it with some good Sake and we make a chicken yakitori dish with it.

Definitely recommend the sake pairing though
Counterpoint
AG
You guys did it right. The show made me decide to start learning Japanese so I'm doing lessons on Duolingo, and basically every vocabulary word is a food or drink right now.
Seven Costanza
AG
You might already know this, but the Japanese in this show is an old dialect that is quite different from modern Japanese.
Counterpoint
AG
Seven Costanza said:

You might already know this, but the Japanese in this show is an old dialect that is quite different from modern Japanese.

Yeah I'm not trying to be able to understand them, just got inspired to go to Japan!
Belton Ag
AG
Counterpoint said:

Seven Costanza said:

Yeah I'm not trying to be able to understand them, just got inspired to go to Japan!
You might already know this, but the Japan in this show is a feudal society and is quite different from modern Japanese society.
C@LAg
Belton Ag said:

Counterpoint said:

Seven Costanza said:

You might already know this, but the Japan in this show is a feudal society and is quite different from modern Japanese society.
you might already know this, but the Japan in this show is not really Japan. It is British Columbia, Canada.
Counterpoint
AG
C@LAg said:

Belton Ag said:

Counterpoint said:

Seven Costanza said:

you might already know this, but the Japan in this show is not really Japan. It is British Columbia, Canada.

Aww man, now I have to learn to speak Canadian, eh.
Cliff.Booth
True story. Good friend of mine went to see Last Samurai when it first came out and was screening at Rudder. Watched it, loved it. On our way out of the theater there was a Japanese student standing near the door. He asked us what we thought and discussed some of the history with us for about 30 minutes. My friend was so blown away he enrolled in Japanese 101 the next semester and after graduating ended up spending over a decade there and going full Blackthorne.
Seven Costanza
AG
Trans-Pacific Time Travel Canadian is one of many languages that are spoken in Canadia, in case you were unaware.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

True story. Good friend of mine went to see Last Samurai when it first came out and was screening at Rudder. Watched it, loved it. On our way out of the theater there was a Japanese student standing near the door. He asked us what we thought and discussed some of the history with us for about 30 minutes. My friend was so blown away he enrolled in Japanese 101 the next semester and after graduating ended up spending over a decade there and going full Blackthorne.
Reading Shogun as a young man made me fascinated with Japanese culture. Such an incredible mix of beauty and cruelty, accomplishment and despair.

If you liked Shogun and want to see how that classic culture translates into the modern world, I recommend Fear and Trembling by Amelie Nothomb. Basically a true story about a European woman who worked in Japanese business.

https://www.amazon.com/Fear-Trembling-Novel-Amelie-Nothomb/dp/0312288573
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

I'm old AF because I just remembered my brother and my roommates also attended this screening. Half of the theater cried when Katsumoto died. If I remember correctly, these were free screenings offered at Rudder which was awesome for poor college students.
C@LAg
i wondered if they were going to keep that specific plot point as done in the book or if they were going to change it up with another variation of that ending.
PatAg
AG
Wild episode
Teddy Perkins
AG
That was a rollercoaster. Gonna need a minute to process the ending.
agracer
AG
Finally caught up. I read the book 30-years ago, but only vaguely remembered the story.

Big kudo's to FX for telling it correctly, and making such a great production.

I'm going to have to read the book again.

Also, we are spoiler free, right? I'm only asking b/c I don't remember everything so please don't ruin it!
Stive
AG
agracer said:

Finally caught up. I read the book 30-years ago, but only vaguely remembered the story.

Big kudo's to FX for telling it correctly, and making such a great production.

I'm going to have to read the book again.

Also, we are spoiler free, right? I'm only asking b/c I don't remember everything so please don't ruin it!

Spoiler free for books for sure!!! Don't ruin this ending for us please!!

As far as episodes, the new one dropped today so I'd say go easy on today's episode for a few hours but discussion of them is fair game.
El Gallo Blanco
Belton Ag said:

I'd love to party with Yabushige...something about his mannerisms and the different looks he gives crack me the hell up. He's good comedic relief at times. He gives great "are you f-ing kidding me" and "not this sh** again" looks.
C@LAg
dude would party with you, but peace out before the bar tab has to be paid.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I have been calling Yabushige Japanese Littlefinger when explaining what's going on.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
"I'd love to party with Yabushige.."

Dude would boil you in a pot for giggles. He's a likable, traitorous, coward, murderer. Yet somehow likable!
PatAg
AG
El Gallo Blanco said:

Belton Ag said:

I'd love to party with Yabushige...something about his mannerisms and the different looks he gives crack me the hell up. He's good comedic relief at times. He gives great "are you f-ing kidding me" and "not this sh** again" looks.
He does a great job of playing the bumbling fool with his reactions, and backs down very quickly when needed..but you can also tell there is some viciousness too him too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.