Shogun 10-episode miniseries coming to FX

43,391 Views | 390 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Rick Dalton
Al Bula
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I can't find much info, but it looks like James Clavell's 1975 novel is going to happen in the next few years. The two lead roles have been cast, but Covid and the Tokyo Olympics are making filming on location in Japan challenging.

Most recent news (as of a May 2021 Deadline article): https://deadline.com/2021/05/shogun-hiroyuki-sanada-cosmo-jarvis-cast-fx-limited-series-john-blackthorne-yoshi-toranaga-1234762725/

IMDb entry: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2788316/

2020 Den of Geek article: https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/shogun-reboot-series-fx/

Shogun was last adapted for a six-part miniseries on NBC in 1980. I tried to watch this a few years ago but it is very hard to get through and really detracts from the details and inner monologues which take place in the book. Hoping this one will be a better adaptation.

Here's the 1980 trailer which gives a decent synopsis without any spoilers.

I highly recommend the novel. It is one of the best pieces of fiction I have ever read and certainly my favorite all-time novel.
rhutton125
AG
Awesome!! Great book, and Sanada is the ****. Very excited.
cbr
AG
i really liked the old richard whoever miniseries in the early 80's as a kid, and the book was excellent. if they do a good job it could be pretty cool though. the old miniseries was not so strong that a remake couldnt out do it, like many classics.
Al Bula
AG
I understand the 1980 miniseries was first broadcast without subtitles. I sure hope the producers can figure out a creative way to pivot between English and Japanese like how it was done from Russian to English in The Hunt For Red October. Subtitles are a beating and major turnoff for me, but i will give it a shot either way.
jenn96
AG
One of my favorite books ever! Really hope they can do it justice. I remember watching the miniseries in real time.
chimpanzee
The old broadcast TV miniseries was what you would expect for the era, but it's a compelling story for people that like historical fiction. Definitely recommend the book if you like the genre.
YouBet
AG
I just purchased the book last week. Have never read it but always been aware of it. I have vague memories of the TV show from 1980 which is probably my primary awareness of this.

Looking forward to reading it. Haven't taken on a 1,000 page tome in a while. Will have to wait until I re-read Dune though.
Thunder18
AG
The book was good, but at the same time kind of a slog to get through. I'll definitely watch the miniseries though
Al Bula
AG
Filming started in September and the full cast has been named. Mild spoilers: if you don't want to know the premise, don't click.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/fxs-shogun-full-cast-1235023433/amp/
bonfarr
AG
For those that enjoyed the novel Shogun I would recommend Tai Pan. It is the second book of Clavell's Asia series and is set in Hong Kong when The British are taking over after the First Opium War.
Al Bula
AG
Looks like filming has been going on for a few weeks and set to wrap up in April.

https://www.backstage.com/magazine/article/fx-shogun-miniseries-resumes-filming-in-vancouver-74553/

This is also encouraging:
Quote:

This will be the second time the James Clavell novel has been adapted for the small screen this time with less "creative license and divergence" than the first go, according to a lead producer.
Al Bula
AG
2024 premier based on the official website. And a new poster is up.

https://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/shogun

rhutton125
AG
Finally!
FancyKetchup14
AG
Got a trailer today

Al Bula
AG
February can't come soon enough!

Gonna be tough to not binge this, may wait until it all comes out to start.
AgBQ-00
AG
From seeing the trailer, I am very interested. Loved the original mini-series. Hoping this one is great
Apache
AG
That looks amazing!
Apache
AG
Grabbing the book now, so I can complain about the mini-series not being as good as or true to the original novel.
Ronnie
AG
I just want to see an Englishman get pissed on. I am OK with a re-make as long as that is in.
Claude!
Ronnie said:

I just want to see an Englishman get pissed on. I am OK with a re-make as long as that is in.

I'm not kink shaming, but that's an oddly specific fetish.
Apache
AG
Two chapters in, this book is great! How have I gone this long & not read it?!
birdman
Shogun is a top 10 all-time book for me.

His entire Asian Saga is incredible, but Shogun is my favorite.

I watched the mini-series went it came out. Really enjoyed it, but Hulu series will be better.
Al Bula
AG
birdman said:

Shogun is a top 10 all-time book for me.

His entire Asian Saga is incredible, but Shogun is my favorite.
Same. More like a top 3 for me. I am on a re-read, probably the 10th or so time since I first read it in 2001. Yes, I read it almost every other year.

I tried one of the others, maybe Tai-pan years ago and couldn't get into it. I certainly plan on giving the rest of the books a go now that I am older and different perspective on life and the world.
The Kraken
AG
Loved the 1980 miniseries. As a 12 year old, definitely had a crush on Mariko.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
BenFiasco14
AG
In. Great book although historically inaccurate, still a fun story. This book was for the vast majority of Americans, their first glimpse into Japan.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Scriffer
AG
Bought the book last week based on this thread, and I'm ripping through it. About halfway at this point.

I can't research how accurate it is without finding spoilers, but it's definitely one of the most compelling reads I can remember. It wasn't until I was about 1/3 of the way through that I started to really figure out the family trees and all that.

I'm sure a lot is overblown, but the it's historical fiction, and I'm not going to set any worldviews by it anyway.
rhutton125
AG
The history is as fascinating as the fiction, though in different ways.
Quad Dog
AG
When I was reading the book I kept wanting to hear more of Toranaga's story instead of always seeing it through Ajin's eyes. Hopefully the series doesn't always show Anjin's perspective.
bonfarr
AG
Scriffer said:

Bought the book last week based on this thread, and I'm ripping through it. About halfway at this point.

I can't research how accurate it is without finding spoilers, but it's definitely one of the most compelling reads I can remember. It wasn't until I was about 1/3 of the way through that I started to really figure out the family trees and all that.

I'm sure a lot is overblown, but the it's historical fiction, and I'm not going to set any worldviews by it anyway.

Tai-Pan is very good as well.
Al Bula
AG
We have a premiere date of February 27.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/shogun-fx-sets-february-premiere-date-1235812325/
Scriffer
AG
Bumping this for finishing the book.

Amazing story and incredibly captivating. I haven't confirmed, but I'd imagine almost every Japanese samurai preconception / trope in modern society originate from this book. Pretty amazing. I loved how high stakes every encounter is, and it really resonated with their philosophy where the constant presence of death makes living all the more intense.

Only complaint is the abrupt ending. I'm 1100 pages into this thing. Let's go for it and bring it all the way home.

I ordered the original mini series on Amazon, so I'm knocking that out after Christmas. Can't wait for the new series.
northaustinaggie87
AG
Same for me birdman, this looks great!
wangus12
AG
Clavell
AG
I'll watch of course, but sure the novel is better
brew82
Just about finished reading the book. Looking forward to the series. They'll have to leave out quite a bit from the book to fit a 10 episode series.

I remember when the original series came out. Our whole family was gathered around the tv, excited about the new show. I think it was early in the first episode when Blackthorne got peed on. My dad got up and turned the tv off. We weren't allowed to watch the rest. Still haven't seen it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.