***Logan***

31,156 Views | 238 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AMW2010
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

I think it's brilliant, and I never expected to be this excited for this movie, especially not because of the action, but because of the scenes in between the action.
And let's be honest, that's what makes an action film. Ever action movie has awesome set pieces with crazy action (though some are shot and choreographed better than others). It's whether or not you care about the characters involved in those that makes them compelling.

Best example I can think of is the car chase (along with some other sequences) in the first Bourne, it was an amazing action piece but you also had this sense of genuine desperation from Jason Bourne. He was doing what he had to do, and oh yeah he's also amazing.
nickstro66
AG
Please please please let there be some sort of Deadpool appearance
AliasMan02
AG
nickstro66 said:

I'm telling you. Severed Deadpool head on a spike, talking to Logan to give him directions or whatever.
MrPlow2010
AG
I agree 100% with you on everything. They have messed up a lot with the X-Men franchise over the years but the one thing they have done right is Wolverine and Prof. Xavier's relationship. It doesn't even matter that they are mutants and have powers. They have a father son thing going on and it's been great watching it develop over the years.
Max Power
AG
Great trailer, music is perfect. But man, definitely feels like the end is going to be rough, that's about as cathartic feeling a trailer as I can remember. Wolverine is hopefully getting a fitting send off.

Didn't catch it anywhere in the trailer but Mr. Sinister is the main villain, can't wait for that.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
nickstro66 said:

Never going to happen.

X-Men can appear in a Deadpool movie, but Deadpool cannot appear in an X-Men movie. You simply cannot have Deadpool show up in an X-Men movie and break the fourth wall while the rest of the cast can't. It can't happen. It would be out of place.
AliasMan02
AG
Everything I've seen says Fox plans to put DP in some X-movies.
AMW2010
AG
What if X is dead the whole time and is just a figment of Logan's memory.... Like we are in the future where gene killed X (X is speaking to Logan via the spiritual world in his dreams or something ) and his battle with the Phoenix is what is "killing him" so to speak... And in the credits dead pool and cable show up to take x23 back in time to save the mutant race!!
TCTTS
AG
Please no.

Though, I do wonder A) why Xavier is still alive when everyone else is dead, and B) where Xavier has been to the point that Logan essentially has to catch him to speed and inform him that all the mutants are now gone.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last we saw these two together was in the "corrected" timeline/future at the end of DOFP, when everything was hunky-dory and everyone was still alive, right?
jeffk
AG
Wolverine has always been one of my favorite characters in anything. Going back to the first comics I ever owned, the 1990s X-Men cartoon, action figures and now the movies.

That being said, Jackman pulls off the Logan/Wolverine character so perfectly. Jackman is Wolverine. I really can't imagine someone else filling those shoes (although I'm sure someone will try in an eventual reboot). I'm excited and yet a little sad for Logan. It looks great, but I know it'll be the last iteration of a character and actor that I really do love watching.

Also, you could put Hurt (either version, both are amazing) in a trailer for any film and the odds of me seeing it jump up by 1000%.
YellowPot_97
AG
Damn that looked good
aggiepublius
aggiepublius
AG
The Instagram account wponx (aka "Weapon X") is one to be watching if you haven't seen it yet - was launched a week or so ago and has been posting stills from the movie.

https://www.instagram.com/wponx/

https://instagr.am/p/BLOdNIajg5o

https://instagr.am/p/BLLqfr9DipZ
TCTTS
AG
http://heroichollywood.com/logan-fits-x-men-timeline/
FancyKetchup14
AG
Damn, whoever was in charge of making Jackman look old as hell did a great job.
double aught
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

It kinda seems appropriate for this to be the finale. And considering the quality of the last few X-Men movies, it's time to put it to rest.
I haven't seen Apocalypse, but I think The Wolverine, First Class, and DOFP are all good to great.
Max Power
AG
After watching the trailer a couple more times I think one of the characters isn't who we've been told they are. The girl appears to be X23, but I think Boyd Holbrook, whom supposedly is playing Donald Pierce, is actually Daken. There is a brief scene at the end of the trailer where Logan is holding back another set of claws, and I don't think it's X23. Also Eriq La Salle must be playing Mr. Sinister since he has no character name up on IMDB.
AggieLitigator
Disappointed. "Meh"
Liquid Wrench
Do you think IMDB is lying to us?
Aggie_Journalist
AG
TCTTS said:

Though, I do wonder A) why Xavier is still alive when everyone else is dead, and B) where Xavier has been to the point that Logan essentially has to catch him to speed and inform him that all the mutants are now gone.

That made me wonder if Xavier is going senile and Wolverine has to remind him what happened from time to time, which would be the saddest thing ever, and also would fit with what looks to be a very sad (but powerful) movie where Logan is fighting for a dying cause.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
double aught said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

It kinda seems appropriate for this to be the finale. And considering the quality of the last few X-Men movies, it's time to put it to rest.
I haven't seen Apocalypse, but I think The Wolverine, First Class, and DOFP are all good to great.
The Wolverine is great. Mangold did a great job and Jackman just inhabits that role more than any other actor/superhero portrayal ever.

First Class may be the best of the whole X-Men series. That's due in large part to Matthew Vaughn.

DoFP and Apocalypse suffer the same problem: Bryan Singer. DoFP took one of the greatest X-Men stories ever and Singer made it a convoluted mess and was he barely mediocre as a director. Apocalypse is sh*t. There's no other way to put it. It was absolute total garbage. And I put all that blame on Singer. Except for Valkyrie being decent n 2008, his last good movie was X2 in 2003. I am pi$$ed that he shoved Vaughn aside after he revitalized the franchise with First Class and took over with his mediocrity.

Now, it's up to Mangold to save the franchise again. That's why I think it's time to put it to rest: Go out with a satisfying bang before Singer gets another chance to ruin it. Plus,except for maybe a fun cameo in Deadpool 2, I don't think we'll be seeing Jackman pull out the claws ever again.
AgLiving06
Music was great, but not overly impressed with the trailer.

It's like the trailer couldn't decide whether this was an action movie or the love affair of two old gay dudes.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Two things that bug me the most about the whole series:

• How did Logan get his adamantium claws back in DoFP? They were removed in the Wolverine
  • How did Prof X get his body back after The Last Stand? It's implied in the post credit scene that he transferred his consciousness into a comatose patient, but then is never addressed again.

Yeah, there's other issues in the movies, but these are the two biggest/annoying, in my opinion
rhutton125
AG
I stand by DoFP. I think it's great. And given Wolverine's arc through 5 previous films, it's great to see him as someone who's been through it all, and has come to terms with his grief, but also has a chance to set it right and prevent a lot of the pain he's had in his life. He wasn't doing it for Jean, but for all mutantkind... and in doing so he was able to save Jean after all.

Apocalypse was balls though. Very disappointing.

I feel like any trailer would look a lot more somber and heart-felt with Hurt as the music, but it did also seem very appropriate for this film. If you're the oldest living mutant, like Wolverine likely is, you know it's going to end with you burying everyone you care about at some point or another.

Also, the best part of The Wolverine is that he was briefly de-powered. This film is wise to return to that. Wolverine ranges from a raging animal to a strong protector - when he's vulnerable, he has to be animal to BE a protector. Otherwise he can just walk through bullets and swords like they're nothing.

My only worry about this one is that it does seem to invalidate the end of DoFP. Somehow in the ~20? years after the new-future ending, we're supposed to buy that Jean, Cyclops, Colossus, Rogue, Iceman, Kitty, Storm and Beast are all dead? Not even the Sentinels pulled that off.

Finish Wolverine strong, make a funny Deadpool sequel, then reboot in 6 years.
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI, Singer didn't shove Vaughn aside. Vaughn left to do Kingsman. Vaughn never had a great relationship with the producers and some of the team at Fox. He developed X3 for a while after Singer left to do Superman Returns, but ultimately bailed due to creative differences. Thus, Fox hired Ratner last minute to take over. Vaughn then came back to do First Class, but bailed again after that for reasons I can't remember. It wasn't due to Singer pushing him out, though.
TCTTS
AG
That could definitely be it. Good call.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, the continuity in these movies is absolutely horrendous. I like that DoFP ultimately erased a lot of it, but the post-apocalyptic future scenes make no damn sense, for the two reasons you stated above.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

• How did Logan get his adamantium claws back in DoFP? They were removed in the Wolverine
  • How did Prof X get his body back after The Last Stand? It's implied in the post credit scene that he transferred his consciousness into a comatose patient, but then is never addressed again.

Yeah, there's other issues in the movies, but these are the two biggest/annoying, in my opinion
If I'm understanding things correctly, The Wolverine and The Last Stand effectively never happened in the new continuity after DoFP. The only one with memories from that timeline is Logan.
TexasAggie_02
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

If I'm understanding things correctly, The Wolverine and The Last Stand effectively never happened in the new continuity after DoFP. The only one with memories from that timeline is Logan.
yes, but in the bad, dark future where the sentinels are enslaving all of mankind and hunting down mutants, Logan has his adamantium claws back and Xavier is alive. That moment in time is in the same continuity as the original trilogy and The Wolverine. That is where the contradiction occurs. I'm not talking about the new timeline.

EDIT: i'll stop bringing this up, b/c it'll just derail the thread. I lot of these gripes were raised in the original DoFP thread long ago.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I see what you're asking now, and I'll defer to the "no one cared about the standalone wolverine movies after origins because it was so bad" answer for that. So ignoring those two movies works for me.
TCTTS
AG
(2000) X-Men

(2003) X2: X-Men United

(2006) X-Men: The Last Stand
- Cyclops dies.
- Jean Grey / Phoenix dies.
- Last we see Patrick Stewart's Xavier he dies but then transports his consciousness to another human being.

(2009) X-Men Origins: Wolverine (PREQUEL)
- No Xavier.

(2011) X-Men: First Class (PREQUEL)
- Young Xavier.

(2013) The Wolverine (set a few years after X-Men: The Last Stand)
- Logan loses his adamantium.
- Then, in a post-credit scene, all the sudden we see old Xavier again in his own body as if he didn't die/transport his body to another human being at the end of The Last Stand. Xavier and Magneto recruit Logan for the eventual events of...

(2014) X-Men: Days of Future Past (set many years after The Wolverine / also the 1970s)
- Logan somehow has his adamantium back.
- Logan's consciousness then travels back to the '70s, and the timelines for all previous movies, save for the two prequels, are ultimately wiped out.
- Logan wakes up in a "corrected" future where everyone is alive, even Jean Grey.

(2016) X-Men: Apocalypse (takes place solely in the 1980s)
- We know none of the X-Men are going to die because in this new timeline they all survive well into the future to one day greet "old" Logan when his original consciousness takes over his '70s/Days of Future Past body.

(2017) Logan (set many years after the "corrected" DoFP future timeline)
- Somehow, everyone but Xavier has died since we last saw everyone alive, content, and happy.

I do remember reading one theory years ago that Xavier's consciousness, at the end of The Wolverine / beginning of DoFP, IS actually still in the man he transported to, but he mentally "projects" his former likeness to everyone who sees him. I guess I can buy that, even if the filmmakers likely pulled that out of their ass after the fact.
Dro07
AG
The body I think of Xavier isn't his. Its a projection but I think his days are drawings near as shown in the trailer. Would be cool, because sinister maybe in it, if they had a "mutant virus" that slowed down certain powers like his healing factor and or Xaviers powers causing them both to come closer to their demise.

One thing that bugs me about this is how are they going to bring X-23 to the "past" for her to have a role in the x-men timeline if she is taking over the wolverine role. Are they going to have to travel back with Cable (even though cable is way the hell down the future from this timeline) and have her split and join the X-men or while he tangles with Deadpool and or X-Force?

Will be interested to see what they force after Old Man Logan.
TCTTS
AG
No need for Xavier to be projecting his likeness in Logan. This version of Xavier never died, since the events of Last Stand were wiped out.

As for what they do after Logan, I've said this a dozen times, but I really, really hope this is it. All that stuff with X-23 sounds exhausting and stupid at this point, and Fassbender, McAvoy and Lawrence have all implied that they're likely done. There's some "new mutants" movie tentatively planned for 2018/2019, but I have no idea what that is, or how it would fit into the timeline, if it ever even gets made. My vote is to just call it a day after this and then reboot (preferably on TV) in five or six years. Fox has four Avatar sequels coming in the meantime that will more than make up for the lack of X-Men box office.
rhutton125
AG
Hopefully nothing
schmendeler
AG
four avatar sequels? ugh.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.