***Logan***

30,938 Views | 238 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AMW2010
TexasAggie_02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They should reboot and let Marvel/Disney spearhead it
AliasMan02
AG
If Legion hits, I think you may see X-Men shift to television. Its best incarnations have been on TV, and with a wide cast available, mutants people want to see could come and go. Imagine a Mission Impossible style New Mutants or X-Force show with a central character or two, but rotating guest stars/side characters. "Major" X-Men could make guest appearances. Stories revolve doing good from the shadows and saving mutants, while circling around a central villain story arc.

ABC and CBS (via CW) have their superhero properties doing very well. Fox has got to be looking at that.
TCTTS
AG
Something along those lines is definitely what I'm hoping for. Makes so much sense, too.
MrPlow2010
AG
Xavier is in Origins I believe. After Wolverine frees all the mutants that Stryker was experimenting on they escape and Xavier is there with a plane or helicopter at the end. It's just a small cameo but i think he leads Cyclops and the others out with his mind powers.
bangobango
AG
rhutton125 said:

I stand by DoFP. I think it's great. And given Wolverine's arc through 5 previous films, it's great to see him as someone who's been through it all, and has come to terms with his grief, but also has a chance to set it right and prevent a lot of the pain he's had in his life. He wasn't doing it for Jean, but for all mutantkind... and in doing so he was able to save Jean after all.

Apocalypse was balls though. Very disappointing.

I feel like any trailer would look a lot more somber and heart-felt with Hurt as the music, but it did also seem very appropriate for this film. If you're the oldest living mutant, like Wolverine likely is, you know it's going to end with you burying everyone you care about at some point or another.

Also, the best part of The Wolverine is that he was briefly de-powered. This film is wise to return to that. Wolverine ranges from a raging animal to a strong protector - when he's vulnerable, he has to be animal to BE a protector. Otherwise he can just walk through bullets and swords like they're nothing.

My only worry about this one is that it does seem to invalidate the end of DoFP. Somehow in the ~20? years after the new-future ending, we're supposed to buy that Jean, Cyclops, Colossus, Rogue, Iceman, Kitty, Storm and Beast are all dead? Not even the Sentinels pulled that off.

Finish Wolverine strong, make a funny Deadpool sequel, then reboot in 6 years.
This is based on the Old Man Logan comic series. In that series, the villains all banded together and defeated the super heroes. They now control territories of America like 3rd world Warlords.
bangobango
AG
From the trailer, it appears to me that Wolverine "rescues" or frees Xavier somehow. The "What have you done?" from Xavier makes me think Xavier is not happy about it.

And it certainly seems like Logan is burying somebody at the end of the trailer, holding the girl's hand while holding what appears to be the handle of a shovel. Easy guess is it is Xavier and it's after some big battle, as Logan is smeared with blood.
bangobango
AG
Love the trailer, by the way. Can't wait to see the movie.
rhutton125
AG
bangobango said:

This is based on the Old Man Logan comic series. In that series, the villains all banded together and defeated the super heroes. They now control territories of America like 3rd world Warlords.

That's kind of irrelevant though. This is a film universe without supervillains or even superheroes. They have to introduce a way where an entire race of people are seemingly wiped out, which is more than even mutating Sentinels were able to do.

My guess is some kind of virus or genetic modification that targets and disables the Mutant-X gene, making them easy pickings. But that kind of goes against what Mister Sinister is all about (as far as I know) - I thought he wanted to create a supreme race of mutants, not eliminate them from existence entirely. I also don't know if he has anything to do with the Reavers, so I question if he's in this at all.
TCTTS
AG
Either way, seems like such a huge event to basically yada yada. Really curious how they're going to approach that here.
Sex Panther
AG
How would Xavier still be alive if he's not projecting though... Isn't this supposed to be pretty far in the future?
TCTTS
AG
That's a really good point, and actually addresses one of my issues. If he's projecting, he can live as long as need be, hoping from body to body. But then why is he seemingly so close to death? Or, rather, why is it seemingly a big deal that he's dying? Couldn't he just hop to the next body?

Basically no one knows if this is 10 years after DoFP or 50 years. The filmmakers haven't said yet. If it's 10 years, I can see Xavier still being alive, no problem, and Logan was already starting to grey in DoFP as well, so it might add up. But then it seems weird that literally every mutant died in such a relatively short amount that time, so who knows.
schmendeler
AG
perhaps xavier was in cryo or something like that.
Dro07
AG
That's why I said I think there is a virus or something that is causing certain mutants abilities to fade. Wolvies healing factor and possibly Xavier's powers not letting him "transfer" to another body
MrPlow2010
AG
Maybe his mind is so powerful it keeps him from aging mentally. His body seems pretty wore down but maybe he can use his powers to slow down his brain from aging.
rhutton125
AG
I don't think they're going to address a dangling X-3 plot hole with the whole Xavier's body thing. He's probably just really, really old.
Dro07
AG
DOFP happened in the year 2023
Xavier is 82 years of age in that. So if this is set 10 years after those events he is in his 90s. The issue I guess for me is the rapid aging of Logan in just 10 years I guess compared to Xavier
TexasAggie_02
AG
dromo07 said:

DOFP happened in the year 2023
Xavier is 82 years of age in that. So if this is set 10 years after those events he is in his 90s. The issue I guess for me is the rapid aging of Logan in just 10 years I guess compared to Xavier
logan lives a pretty rough lifestyle. booze will do that to you
Port_Cow Ag 08
AG
Could they be introducing the Legacy Virus? Didn't that kill a lot of mutants in the comics?
bangobango
AG
Again, in Old Man Logan,Wolverine is tricked into basically wiping out the xmen on his own. The guilt of that causes him to "put away" his claws. It will be interesting if he is somehow responsible for the deaths of his friends in the movie.
TCTTS
AG
Interesting.
Sex Panther
AG
Just saw some articles saying Logan takes place in 2024
Dro07
AG
So a year after DOFP? That really makes no sense
Sex Panther
AG
dromo07 said:

Agree... won't be surprised if they aren't right
H6RBW
AG
Quote:

Fox has four Avatar sequels coming in the meantime

GiveEmHellBill
AG
dromo07 said:

Except that that timeline doesn't exist anymore. Weird though that they are jumping from the early 80's of Apocalypse to all the way to 2024 in movies released less than a year apart.

Seriously, what's the point of making any movies that occur in between these movies since we will already know what the future holds? Setting this movie in the future with something having killed off most mutants makes any other X-Men sequels (either set in the 90's or current day) moot.
AliasMan02
AG
We see the Bright Future 2023 at the end of DOFP and everything is hunky dory.
Dro07
AG
DOFP the movie happened. It ended in the year 2023 when logans mind came back to him and everything was right in the world. The events in old man Logan are after this.
Scientific
AG
The trailer reminded me of Metal Gear Solid 4.

Snake was at the end of the road. & looks like Logan is too.
YellowPot_97
AG
or maybe this movie is just loosely related to the other xmen films. it doesnt have to be a direct sequel.
YouBet
AG
I can't believe the first movie came out 16 years ago. Has it really been that long ago?
bangobango
AG
YouBet said:

I can't believe the first movie came out 16 years ago. Has it really been that long ago?

YouBet it has.
TCTTS
AG
July 14, 2000.

Notable superhero movies in the years just before...

- Barb Wire
- Batman & Robin
- Blade
- Mystery Men
- Spawn

Notable superhero movies in the years just after...

- Batman Begins
- Daredevil
- Hulk
- Spider-Man
- Spider-Man 2

For better or worse, X-Men is considered the movie that opened the flood gates, so to speak, and allowed superhero movies to really take off in a new trajectory. Without X-Men, I don't think we get Spider-Man two years later (it was inevitable, no doubt, but might have been two or three years later), and that's the one that really took the momentum and ran with it. I also think X-Men is the movie (along with X2) that proved to Warner Bros. that Batman could go darker and be taken more seriously as well. It's not an exact marker/signifier, and special effects finally being able to create things like Spider-Man swinging threw New York or Hulk smashing up San Francisco play a big part in the onslaught of superhero movies in the early '00s as well, but there's definitely a fairly clear before and after when it comes to the superhero landscape and X-Men.
YouBet
TexasAggie_02
AG
Trailer #2:

I also added it to the OP
jabberwalkie09
AG
"She's eleven and I'm ****ing 90."

Lol

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.