SNL Season 42

51,354 Views | 396 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by $240 Worth of Pudding
$240 Worth of Pudding
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
regurkmatt said:

"My grassy knoll and my gassy hole"

"Hog taker and log maker" was better.
CorpsAg11
AG

Also, I forgot to mention "The Bubble" was great too..
FancyKetchup14
AG
Connd
WestTexasAg14 said:

Sturgill is going to be awesome.
CrottyKid
AG
We are about to find out.
Hulla Baller
AG
Just watched the beginning of SNL. Holy **** it sucked. Who watches that crap?
nickstro66
AG
Hulla Baller said:

Just watched the beginning of SNL. Holy **** it sucked. Who watches that crap?
Donald Trump so he can tweet/complain about it
CrottyKid
AG
I watch it, because I know all of my coworkers will be talking about it.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Holy crap his band sounded phenomenal. I gotta catch him live.
Quinn
AG
I'm still so mad at myself for not getting tickets to his past tour.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
That's what you took from that post?
et98
AG
I really try to like Sturgill Simpson, but most of the time everything I hear from him is just a total disaster. When I can understand the words he's saying, he's usually pretty good. But I usually can't make heads or tails of anything he's saying. Writing good lyrics is pointless if nobody can tell what they are. His voice is fantastic...it just sounds like he's making random sounds instead of forming actual words.

The band and the music sounded great, though. It wasn't anything even closely resembling country music, but it was good.

The rest of the episode sucked. The Trump stuff deserves to be made fun of, but it's way too over-the-top for me. I'd love for them to go just 1 episode without relying entirely on the "Trump sucks" crutch / dead horse. It's really annoying, and it just isn't funny.

However...and I can't believe I'm saying this...but I thought Michael Che did a great job on Weekend Update. The whole bit about Trump, as a real estate mogul, not finding anybody better for HUD than a surgeon and Steve Harvey was so true; and the line about Trump calling CNN "fake news" while on CNN was great. And the one about Trump starting all of his political decisions with "wouldn't it be hilarious if..." was well delivered. I've always thought Michael Che was a total dud on Weekend Update, but I think he may be finally coming into his own.
TV Casualty
AG
It was really cool to see Sturgill Simpson on SNL. It's great to see that guy getting some recognition.

Felicity Jones looked really out of her element on SNL.
CrottyKid
AG
Yeah. She sucked.
JCRiley09
AG
I play Sturgill's music on repeat, but I've never seen a live performance. Were the mics poorly balanced or something? I couldn't understand the vocals and heard only horns and organ.

Every time I think about trump being president, I feel physically ill (hope no one accuses me of being a trump lover...), but I think the Baldwin trump has jumped the shark.

Weekend Update was great. Also enjoyed the Susan B. Anthony skit.
Ganondorf
AG
Watched it with the wife and it was very meh. Felicity looked uncomfortable and was just bad in a lot of sketches.

I can't say I remember a lot of the sketches the next day.
Joan Wilder
AG
I too would like to see what Che could do solo on Update. His bits were definitely smarter and more interesting - he wrote the Black jeopardy skit which is one of the best sketches in years.

Felicity Jones had ZERO stage presence, charisma, or comic timing. The writers clearly struggled trying to find something for her to do. Even the sketch where she was a princess died. I found her pretty boring in Rogue 1 and chalked it up to the character being less interesting than Rey (which it was) but she didn't help sell it.

Baldwin's trump is more caricature than a dead on imitation like Hammond, but it works for me. The real press conference was bat sh@t enough - baldwin's version just drives up the absurdity of the actual things trump said. SNL's prop folders looked more real too.

The running gag of shirtless Putin is hilarious.
annie88
AG
Living Legend said:

Gramercy Riffs said:

Baldwin's Trump is most certainly far from excellent. I don't care for politics, but I am interested in good comedy. He sucks.

Got another Trump lover here
Yes, some of us voted for Trump. Got a problem with that? I haven't seen any of these recently because SNL is not that funny they're all occasionally get a good skit. But what is your problem with Trump voters? Because they have different views and opinions than you?
Gramercy Riffs
AG
And then again, some of us didn't vote for him and simply think the impression isn't good.
CorpsAg11
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

And then again, some of us didn't vote for him and simply think the impression isn't good.

Seriously! Its easy to characterize "Living Legend's" lack of intelligence by his inability to accept that someone might have an opinion that is independent of their political leanings.

I didn't vote for or support either of them. I don't really give a **** if you believe me quite frankly.
TCTTS
AG
This was legitimately one of the worst episodes I've seen in years. I like Jones in general, but yeah, she was truly terrible. That said, overall, SNL has performed far higher than my expectations this season, and I'm really looking forward to Aziz this week.
AgLaw
AG
JCRiley09 said:

I play Sturgill's music on repeat, but I've never seen a live performance. Were the mics poorly balanced or something? I couldn't understand the vocals and heard only horns and organ.

That's every Sturgill live performance. I thought they tore it up.
RoamingGnome
The trump skits alone make snl must watch tv for me. They are hilarious.

Felicity was terrible but Simpson was great. Aziz next week should be good.
Red Dane
Gramercy Riffs said:

He really could just put on the wig, be himself, and the impression would be far, far better. Bad temper, narcissism, mean spirited...
Quinn
AG
Yep. Hard to remember an episode that bad.
Olsen
AG
Quote:

Katie Rich, a writer for Saturday Night Live since 2013, is facing extreme public criticism and a call for her job to be terminated after posting an offensive tweet about 10-year-old Barron Trump.

"Barron will be the country's first homeschool shooter," she tweeted the afternoon of January 20, just hours after Barron's father Donald Trump was named the 45th President of the United States. Rich later deleted the tweet, and her Twitter account is now private. Additionally, a biography page for the writer said it was "down for maintenance at the time of publishing."
http://heavy.com/news/2017/01/katie-rich-snl-writer-twitter-tweet-barron-trump-will-be-countrys-first-homeschool-shooter-fired-saturday-night-live/
TexasAggies06
AG
Man I understand that SNL is always going to be left-leaning and it really doesn't bother me, thought the sad Kate McKinnon as Hillary singing Hallelujah right after the election was a little melodramatic but maybe just a product of trying to pay tribute to Leonard Cohen right after his death... but that farewell to Obama song tonight was just terrible. Not creative, not interesting, not even well-performed. Just... bad.
TXAG 05
AG
Agreed. That ending was rediculous.
cmk10
AG
Ending was terrible. I thought Azis was pretty good.
TCTTS
AG
To be honest, I figured you guys were likely overreacting, re: the Obama song.

Nope.

Holy hell, that was mind-glowingly bad. Like, you could see the I've-made-a-terrible-mistake look on Cecily Strong's face, bad. Just so, utterly embarrassing. What the hell were they thinking?

That said, I thought Aziz was super solid, and there were a good two or three sketches that were pretty damn funny. I'm somehow even starting to come around on Jost and Che. I think this was the first time I've actually, truly liked them, for whatever reason.
Counterpoint
AG
TCTTS said:

To be honest, I figured you guys were likely overreacting, re: the Obama song.

Nope.

Holy hell, that was mind-glowingly bad. Like, you could see the I've-made-a-terrible-mistake look on Cecily Strong's face, bad. Just so, utterly embarrassing. What the hell were they thinking?

That said, I thought Aziz was super solid, and there were a good two or three sketches that were pretty damn funny. I'm somehow even starting to come around on Jost and Che. I think this was the first time I've actually, truly liked them, for whatever reason.
The song was bad, but I have to think they were just trolling Trump with it. They know he watches faithfully every week, and they know he secretly wants their admiration soooo badly. It had to drive him crazy watching that.
TCTTS
AG
Admittedly, I was hardly listening to the actual lyrics, completely distracted by Cecily's cringing performance. But I suppose you're right. What was the song even about? I couldn't concentrate I was so thrown for a loop.
CorpsAg11
AG
Am i the only one who's DVR just decided not to record SNL last night? Can't figure out why
Counterpoint
AG
CorpsAg11 said:

Am i the only one who's DVR just decided not to record SNL last night? Can't figure out why
Mine dvr'ed it fine. Check it out online. It was a good ep (minus that final song!).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.