SNL Season 42

51,041 Views | 396 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by $240 Worth of Pudding
CowtownAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree that update may be finding its style with Jost and Che. I didn't watch last week but last night I enjoyed them. Aziz's monologue was solid.
Joan Wilder
AG
Agree the Obama song was terrible - unfunny and terribly performed.

Aziz's monologue was nails. Loved the LaLa land interrogation, with the Westworld ending.

The woman in the dirty talk sketch was terrible. We've been noticing for a few weeks that she shows up in sketches and has no lines - now we see why.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
The interrogation scene was a The Night Of interrogation spoof - did nobody catch that? ethnic suspect, on a date, video tape, etc....it was kinda funny.

And the Conway song was a Chicago musical take off.
MarathonAg03
AG
CorpsAg11 said:

Am i the only one who's DVR just decided not to record SNL last night? Can't figure out why

There were some regional telethons being aired last night in several media markets, so it was preempted in some places.
FancyKetchup14
AG
the Uber 5 Star Rating short was easily the highlight for me. Weekend Update was solid. I thought it was a good episode minus that stupid ass song at the end.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

The interrogation scene was a The Night Of interrogation spoof - did nobody catch that? ethnic suspect, on a date, video tape, etc....it was kinda funny.

I think you're reading WAY too much into that. Great sketch, though.
Quinn
AG
Really good episode, besides the Obama song. Really odd performance. Not done well enough to be a real tribute, poorly sung, Cecily knew it was a mistake.

Loved Aziz and thought he had a great monologue. Good movie by SNL to have two top comedians ready to host for the episodes after the election and inauguration.
Btron
AG
WestTexasAg14 said:

the Uber 5 Star Rating short was easily the highlight for me. Weekend Update was solid. I thought it was a good episode minus that stupid ass song at the end.

Except it was a blatant ripoff of Black Mirror which they kinda fourth wall'd us there st the end.
Btron
AG
Quote:

The woman in the dirty talk sketch was terrible. We've been noticing for a few weeks that she shows up in sketches and has no lines - now we see why.

I have noticed she has probably one of the worst voices I've heard in comedy. Maybe not since Janice on Friends. The dialogue was great just she was not the right choice.
3rdGen2015
AG
Her Owen Wilson impression was worth the rest of the sketch being awkward IMO
TexasAggies06
AG
I think she's kind of like the female version of Pete Davidson. They both have some talent in a specific form of comedy (her: impressions, him: stand-up), but this does not translate well to actual ACTING in a live comedy show. I don't see her lasting long, but who knows.
HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
The song is "To Sir with Love" by Lulu.

Just read the lyrics, and it sounds like a schoolgirl in love with her teacher. Even creepier and more awkward than I originally thought...

Otherwise, that episode was nails. Even the bad skits gave me a couple chuckles.
agz win
AG
And the song is from the same titled movie with Sydney Portier made in the late 1960's and I think there was a fairly recent remake.

It was based in poor section of London with issues involving class, race and a student in love with her teacher. Lu Lu was a British star singer back then. It's a really good movie.
Connd
Pretty solid episode. Except for that Obama song, I don't care what your feelings on the man are, that was one of the worst things they've done since the January Jones episode.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
HerschelwoodHardhead said:

The song is "To Sir with Love" by Lulu.

Just read the lyrics, and it sounds like a schoolgirl in love with her teacher. Even creepier and more awkward than I originally thought...

Otherwise, that episode was nails. Even the bad skits gave me a couple chuckles.

I am getting to be REALLY old when people when people have never heard of "To Sir With Love".
Mort Rainey
CowtownAg06 said:

I agree that update may be finding its style with Jost and Che. I didn't watch last week but last night I enjoyed them. Aziz's monologue was solid.
If by finding its style, you mean lecturing viewers each week from their high horse about how much better liberals are, then yes
FancyKetchup14
AG
Oh really? I've only seen two or three episodes of Black Mirror so I had no idea.
The Milkman
AG
Btron said:

WestTexasAg14 said:

Except it was a blatant ripoff of Black Mirror which they kinda fourth wall'd us there st the end.

Yes and no. I mean that is exactly how people think about their ratings for uber. It just so happens black mirror was a very accurate representation of society.
AliasMan02
AG
Just caught up. That song was just confusing in every way. Why'd they pick that song? How did they land on those performers? How did they land on doing this serious segment but then veer off into the joke with the mug? So weird.
TyHolden
AG
This was one of the best SNLs in a while. Kristen Stewart dropping f-bomb was great.
TCTTS
AG
Twitter is absolutely freaking out over the McCarthey-as-Spicer sketch. So many people saying it's an all-timer. Doesn't air here for another hour and a half and I can't wait.
TyHolden
AG
Yeah that was "van down by the river" quality
Joan Wilder
AG
McCarthy as Spicer was an absolutely brilliant live comedy performance. Holy crap,..we had to watch it twice we laughed so hard.
nickstro66
AG
McCarthy's skit is one of the best SNL has had in a long time! That was awesome
FancyKetchup14
AG
Great episode.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Holy hell that was funny. About to go post it on the politics board as well and watch them freak out.

CorpsAg11
AG
I fully expected this to be the worst episode of the season but it was one of the best. Even the Trump open was good. Many of their Alec as Trump skits have been awful but not that one. Spicer skit was nails.
CorpsAg11
AG
Oh and Totinos sketch was lowkey one of the best sketches of the season. They really played to Kristen Stewart's strengths with that one
TCTTS
AG
This whole thing is legitimately starting to get somewhat V for Vendetta-esque in that SNL has gone from merely roasting/mocking a President to outright antagonizing one. And just like in the movie, it's INFURIATING the man in charge. I mean, knowing he's watching, they literally called the President of the United States a "little white b*tch" tonight, and the crowd erupted. Then the McCarthy/Spicer skit just rubbed salt in the wound in the most glorious and memorable way possible.

Politics aside, this is becoming endlessly fascinating, and never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined a world in which the POTUS maniacly tweets about each episode of a late-night sketch show, while the show itself keeps coming back ten fold to further drive and twist the dagger.
NukeAg10
AG
Haven't watched SNL in a long ass time, but that was hilarious.

Sounds like I need to watch the Aziz episode too. Might start watching it again, since it's on sunday morning where I'm at. The Donald is going to give them a lot of ammo, and as a libertarian I can find humor on both sides.
AgPediRPh
AG
CorpsAg11 said:

I fully expected this to be the worst episode of the season but it was one of the best
couldn't agree more. I am glad I DVRed it.
CorpsAg11
AG
What about my hungry guys?

Quinn
AG
Damn - didn't record last night because I wasn't expecting much from KS. Will need to go see if it's on demand.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Totinos and Spicer were awesome.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.