SULLY

13,171 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Kraken
VanZandt92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
all they had to do was just show what actually happened and it would have been great

The tricky part is also making an actual story appeal to a broader audience that hasn't been interested in it as a written work, but will be happy to pay to see it presented on the big screen. Faithful adaptions of real events or even literature is really tough when one of the goals is to sell as many movie tickets as possible.

Television seems to be getting better at this, but I think the limited series format becoming increasingly popular is helping so maybe the movies can get better as well.

I disagree. Freaking know the greatest stories of all time and it won't be a problem.
Southlake
After watching so many aviation movies that are very technically inaccurate, I found Sully to be spot on.

I understand it's very hard to retell a true story without deviation, especially for an event that only lasted a few minutes. But hey, anything that's not real is abstract and I thought they did a fine job. We all love THs and it's fun to watch him carry the load.

Im a professional airline pilot and actually flew Sullys plane for 9 years. Eastwood caught all the nuances. Trickier yet was dealing with the FAA and NTSB. In any similar event, the Captain winds up at the shirt end of a long table defending himself even when he's 100% right. Geez, they can be A-holes.

I thought Sully and Eastwood did it up right.

(TCTTS - I enjoy your movie reviews. If you need any technical expertise, feel free to contact me. Jasonbluedogataoldotcom)

watty
AG
Glad to hear the technical stuff was all spot-on. I'm ignorant to most of it but I have a deep love of flying and have always been fascinated with planes and cockpits and procedures and all of that so I do appreciate hearing that they did that stuff right.
TCTTS
AG
Thanks for the offer, Southlake. May take you up on that at some point!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm no aviation expert but I do love aviation. That probably had a lot to do with my enjoyment of the movie. Even the flight simulations held my interest.
nikator
AG
Cannot recall if posted already

annie88
AG
I saw it last weekend, I thought it was good and well done.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Maybe that's another reason I came away liking it, as well.
Agnzona
I would have liked to hear some of the Airbus findings on how well the structure held up. Also interesting is one of the water ditching procedures is to close all the valves and intakes. They didn't do that because it was way down check list. And if any thing what was learned that will be taught to pilots going forward.
dcAg
Why is there a spoiler tag? We all know what happens.

Birds hit plane.
Engines die.
Plane lands in water.
People exit plane.
Dolphins arrive and take survivors of plane landing to far off and exotic lands.
Relatives of birds that hit plane find people in far off and exotic lands.
Relatives of birds dive bomb and attack people.
Descendants of Hurambe rush in to save people from relatives of birds that hit plane.
Hurambe saves little boy as he is the last one to be attacked by birds.
Hurambe is shot.
The Anchor
AG
We watched it last night. Other than being slow, I thought it was an ok movie since it was free.
double aught
AG
quote:
We watched it last night. Other than being slow, I thought it was an ok movie since it was free.
What an endorsement.
Duncan Idaho
My parents saw it last week and my dad loved it. He said "I didn't remember all of the stuff with the FAA happening either, but hey you've got to make a story. And it said it was based on a true story, not that it was a true story"

My Dad watches a lot of Fox News.
The Kraken
AG
quote:
After watching so many aviation movies that are very technically inaccurate, I found Sully to be spot on.

I understand it's very hard to retell a true story without deviation, especially for an event that only lasted a few minutes. But hey, anything that's not real is abstract and I thought they did a fine job. We all love THs and it's fun to watch him carry the load.

Im a professional airline pilot and actually flew Sullys plane for 9 years. Eastwood caught all the nuances. Trickier yet was dealing with the FAA and NTSB. In any similar event, the Captain winds up at the shirt end of a long table defending himself even when he's 100% right. Geez, they can be A-holes.

I thought Sully and Eastwood did it up right.

(TCTTS - I enjoy your movie reviews. If you need any technical expertise, feel free to contact me. Jasonbluedogataoldotcom)

I've had serveral airline pilot friends post the same sentiment on Facebook. I need to check it out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.