SULLY

13,159 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Kraken
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think I figured out the key to my success in Hollywood tonight. It hit me like a flock of ****ing birds over the Hudson. Basically, when it comes to these real-life stories, which are currently our bread and butter, we do the opposite of what Sully does and we'll be golden.

It's honestly not a terrible movie, but man, it is the very definition of pointless. Just goes to show how desperate studios are for real life stories/IP. I can't fathom any other reason this movie made it through the ringer, and somehow got made.

*** SPOILERS ***

I sh*t you not, the "climax" is a room full people at a hearing silently watching a live feed of various pilots monotonously attempting to recreate the flight in a simulator FOUR different times back-to-back-to-back-to-back. It's unbelievably excruciating. And then we have to watch the real flight - in full detail - a SECOND time after that (the first time, admittedly, was very well executed). The entire movie could have been told in half an hour, if that.

Also, I seriously could not stop giggling at some of the choices made:

- Laura Linney as Sully's wife has like six scenes and they're ALL of her in their kitchen and/or living room, on the phone with Sully. And they just have the same basic conversation over and over and over. The first time, she's in the house, behind a closed front door/walls, and there are reporters like 30 feet away, in the street. And they look like they're being loud if, you know, the door was open or we were out there with him. But it's close to silent and she starts going "I CAN'T HEAR YOU, SULLY! I CAN'T HEAR YOU! IT'S TOO LOUD! WE'LL HAVE TO TALK LATER" just so the convo/scene can end and they don't say everything that needs to be said in that one scene. And it's not like a pretend-she-can't-hear-him kind of thing, either. It's so dumb/funny, and emblematic of nearly every choice made in this movie.

- The way the pilots in the flight simulators at the end kept monotonously saying "birds" is what really cracked me up, and is somehow even more distracting than the blatantly fake baby used in American Sniper.[/sp]

*** END SPOILERS ***

The obvious lesson: make sure we have a full, two-hour story to tell. Otherwise, we'll be banking solely on it crossing the desk of senile, old Clint Eastwood, and for Warner Bros. to somehow keep inexplicably funding his efforts.

Seriously, unless you're over the age of 60, avoid this movie in theaters. I was easily the youngest person by at least 10 years in theater, and wish I would have waited to watch it at home, where I could fast forward through the vast majority of it and not miss a thing.
TCTTS
AG
Guess I'm a senile old man as well, because I cannot figure out the spoiler tags. Finally resorted to the old fashioned way. Not like it matters with this movie, anyway.
TCTTS
AG

FtBendTxAg
AG
You know, I was thinking the same thing about it the other day when I was watching a trailer. We can all agree, it was a GREAY story IRL, but there's no way I'd pay $12 to see a full length movie about it. Will definitely redbox it however just because Tom Hanks.
FL_Ag1998
AG
For the spoiler tags simply use "sp" between the brackets like "quote" or "URL".

As for the movie, you pretty much confirmed what I thought when I first saw the trailer....seriously, how can you make a whole movie out of that?

Thanks for biting the bullet and seeing it so the rest of us can save our time and money.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. Awesome story, and again, the sequence of the crash/landing itself is pretty great. Where they really screwed up, though, is that the whole thing with the transportation board trying to take him down is basically made up. The FAA is apparently mad because nothing remotely like that really happened. So the "conflict" is not only laughable, but fabricated. This board of five people has it out for Sully for no apparent reason. It's like Sully had sex with this guy's wife or something, and he's hell bent on taking him down, when literally every other person on the planet believes Sully to be a hero. It makes no sense.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I tried both the "[sp]" and "{sp}" tags, with the "/" on the second ones, just like we used to have to do with all the other code. Tried it like 10 different ways/times. Didn't work. Maybe it has to do with the formatting in between, and some of the other characters I used.
TexasAggies06
AG
quote:
Where they really screwed up, though, is that the whole thing with the transportation board trying to take him down is basically made up. The FAA is apparently mad because nothing remotely like that really happened. So the "conflict" is not only laughable, but fabricated.

This was my first thought when I saw the preview... I was like, "Man, I don't remember hearing anything about him getting in all this trouble afterward. I thought he was pretty unanimously considered a hero. None of that came out in the news or anything and they're going to make a whole movie about it?"

Damn it, Clint Eastwood.
TCTTS
AG
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/real-life-investigators-object-portrayal-sully-movie-41942214
COOL LASER FALCON
Pretty funny but from The Ticket in Dallas

http://www.theunticket.com/fake-sully-trailer/
Sea Pony 07
AG
I've seen both the tlc special and air crash investigation episodes of the crash on YouTube, and I can't imagine how they were able to stretch it out for a movie.
bedofbrass33
AG
The real life story was a great story of calm in tha face of unusual danger. There was no way that story warranted a movie. Movies about real events are pointless when we also have the 24/7/265 news cycle running.
Professor Frick
AG
I really liked how he got so blackout drunk before that last hearing that he has to call John goodman to bring him a belushi-load of Coke just to function.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Good point, so Denzel plays the coked out alkie and Tom gets the lilly white hero?

These hollywood jews needa check their privilige.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The ironic thing is that you are one of the major reasons I requested spoiler tags in the first place.

Sitting in the theater now. Will post thoughts afterwards.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Btw, average age in here has to be 45+. Lot of old timers in here.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Just saw the movie.

Worth it if you just want to see a great story again. Don't get the hate for some of it. Definitely a little cheesiness/overacting from the transportation board but overall entertaining and well worth my time.

And no I'm not an old.

Edit: This is exactly the kind of movie TCTTS would hate.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea, that's why we don't need movies like Zero Dark Thirty or The Sniper or Black Hawk Down or <fill in the blank>
TCTTS
AG
I don't get the last two comments. Why is this exactly the kind of movie I would hate? Especially when I LOVE Zero Dark Thirty, Black Hawk Down, etc. I'm literally trying to make a living out of bringing movies in the vein of Sully (dramas based on true stories/events) to the screen. That, and I wanted nothing more than for it to be good. I saw it opening day because I wanted to like it. I just thought it was poorly executed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Loved the movie. Tom Hanks is fantastic.

Seems like this one is gonna be huge. Theater was packed and there's a long line for the next show.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, tons of applause in NY.
Sapper Redux
A review that hits on the material they missed:

Tmoneyag99
AG
I'll probably see it at some point because I work with a guy that is portrayed in the movie as one of the passengers on the flight. Amazing story.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:
Yeah, I tried both the "[sp]" and "{sp}" tags, with the "/" on the second ones, just like we used to have to do with all the other code. Tried it like 10 different ways/times. Didn't work. Maybe it has to do with the formatting in between, and some of the other characters I used.

I had that issue on another post when I tried to capture multiple paragraphs within a single spoiler tag and it wouldn't work. When I instead gave each paragraph its own tags, that did the trick.
AggieSouth06
Another great example of why we can't have nice things.

Sully is a really neat little story about a pilot making a good, experienced decision. 300 tv appearances, 94 "hero of the universe" awards, 3 books about courage, and a self-aggrandizing movie later, I'm infinitely annoyed by him.

We just love to kill everything to death.
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
Just saw the movie.

Worth it if you just want to see a great story again. Don't get the hate for some of it. Definitely a little cheesiness/overacting from the transportation board but overall entertaining and well worth my time.

And no I'm not an old.

Edit: This is exactly the kind of movie TCTTS would hate.

Yeah, that TCTTS, what a tool for not liking a movie that even it's supporters admit is cheesy and overacted (not to mention contains a ton of B.S. about the main character being crucified, which apparently never happened in real life).

TCTTS is such an elitist!
Redstone
AG
Good grief, can we please use spoiler tags? Staff was kind enough to gift them to us for a reason.
Agnzona
Don't understand the Op at all. I thought it a great movie and if you want to make real life stories the attention to detail in this film should be taught to all film makers to follow.
TCTTS
AG
Attention to detail like straight up inventing "villains" enough to try and justify stretching this story into a feature-length film? Like I said earlier, the crash/landing/rescue sequence itself is expertly executed, but they literally had to show the landing, in its entirety, TWICE just to get the runtime to an hour and a half. Almost everything outside of that sequence is either made up or "drama" that doesn't warrant a feature film. I'm sorry, but Sully having like six repetitive phone conversations with his wife isn't compelling to me at all. Ditto to watching pilots monotonously simulate the flight four times in a row. Sure, it's all decently well acted, and it was an amazing act of heroism in and of itself, I just didn't like the way it was portrayed on screen as a whole. Or, rather, I didn't feel it should have been portrayed at all.
aggiebq03+
quote:
Good grief, can we please use spoiler tags? Staff was kind enough to gift them to us for a reason.

Redstone didn't read the thread
Agnzona
The NTSB by its nature is antagonistic in accident investigations. It was taken from Sully's book. They maybe exaggerated it a bit. But they still came across a professional and not incompetent evil government or big businesses stooges like in most movies. Also I don't think the techniques Eastwood used were for time stretching as you say. They could have just as easily spent plenty of time on his career and backstory and some of his criticism of the industry if the needed more time. As to attention to detail I noticed the full plane shots had IAE engines not CFM (there where none of those left not painted in AA livery) but they sounded like CFM engines, so they bothered to get sound from the right type. Also at that time US had an internal pilot union issue ongoing and they even had the "union pilot" badge visable on the pilots. They cockpit stuff was 100% straight from the CVRs. Movies have a real hard time bothering to get anything right in aviation (think flight).
TCTTS
AG
And all that stuff is great, and I legitimately applaud them for getting those details right. As someone who's currently writing a mini-series with endless cockpit/radio talk, I can definitely appreciate the accuracy and research that went into it. But those details don't make a movie. It's all for naught when you have THIS thin of a narrative.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The movie was not about the crash. It was about Sully's experience after the events and him second guessing himself during the investigation. I'm going to strongly disagree with you on this one.
TCTTS
AG
That's my whole point. "Sully's experience after the events and him second guessing himself during the investigation" wasn't compelling, didn't warrant a movie, and was poorly executed. I know exactly what this movie is about. My argument is that if that's your premise, it shouldn't have been made in the first place.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And I disagree. I was compelled the entire runtime.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.