HELL OR HIGH WATER

47,963 Views | 274 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BowSowy
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just saw this today. Highly highly recommend. Awesome movie. The kind that sticks with you for a while. Loved it.
TresPuertas
AG
Finally got around to this one. Like everyone else, I loved it.

A lot of what I loved and what many have said here is that this was like watching a bunch of people I know in a big movie.

My mom was born and raised in Olney, family is still in Archer City and Throckmorton and my stepdad is from Coleman.

Many of you were a bit concerned that Bridges may have been a little over the top, and I'd tell you to spend an afternoon/evening with my stepdad. I actually texted my brother during the movie and told him that they may have based Bridges character on him. He told me he was thinking the exact same thing. He's got that exact same personality and hazes the ever living hell out of everyone he knows. And like Bridges, the results are usually hilarious

Bravo on this one
ApachePilot
AG
Really enjoyed this movie in the theater and again at home. That makes me a Comanche
JAggie2007
AG
Saw the movie a week or so ago and loved it. I know it was mostly shot in New Mexico but I felt like any of those towns could've been Pecos/Monahans/Andrews/Kermit or just about any small town in West Texas. Haven't read every post in the thread but holy crap I didn't know the writer was the guy that played the Sheriff in Sons of Anarchy.
Aggies76
AG
^
And that writer, Taylor Sheridan, also wrote Sicario. He said in an interview that he wrote Hell or High Water in 3 weeks, and they shot his first draft with no rewrites.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Impressive work.. two of the best films to come out of 2015 and 2016
Max Power
AG
Glad to see most people also love this movie. This still might be my favorite film of 2016. My wife has no idea why a movie about robbing banks in one of the least populated parts of Texas makes me feel that way, but she's not from Texas so she wouldn't understand, that movie just strikes a chord with me.
The dialogue between the characters was just perfect, that was just as important as the setting. Watching it just feels like Texas, my home state that I miss so much. She also doesn't get why Friday Night Lights does the same thing.
Centerpole90
AG
Missed this in theaters by a day or so and was so disappointed. I bought it the minute I could on Apple TV, but I think that was election night so I waited a day to watch. I was not disappointed. My favorite movie in a long time.
spanky
AG
Watched it tonight. Really like it...but of course I have a thing for bank robbers. Reminded me of my uncle: http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-last-ride-of-the-polo-shirt-bandit/
SbisaVictim95
AG
Just got around to it last night. Really great. By the way, looks like Sheridan will make his directorial debut next year with another screenplay he wrote, Wind River
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Great movie! Watched it last night.
Old Jock 1997
AG
I just read every word of that article. Wow. What a crazy story.

And feel free to ignore, but...when you say uncle, Uncle as in had lunch with him every Sunday, or Uncle as in saw him on holidays, or Uncle as in hadn't seen him in 5 years. Any signs that anything was amiss?
spanky
AG
Old Jock 1997 said:

I just read every word of that article. Wow. What a crazy story.

And feel free to ignore, but...when you say uncle, Uncle as in had lunch with him every Sunday, or Uncle as in saw him on holidays, or Uncle as in hadn't seen him in 5 years. Any signs that anything was amiss?
Uncle as in my mom's brother. His son (my cousin) was my roommate at A&M when he got caught. And nobody had a clue for the decade he was doing this. A lot of stuff came out after the fact like that he used to watch himself on America's Most Wanted all the time.
Pahdz
Wife and I finally saw this tonight. My wife hated NCFOM but loved this. I think the comic relief in this one helped.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
finally saw this last night. loved it.

you boys robbing the bank? that's crazy. y'all ain't even mexicans.

-----------

only azzholes drink mr. pibb.

drink up.

Trident 88
AG
Pahdz said:

Wife and I finally saw this tonight. My wife hated NCFOM but loved this. I think the comic relief in this one helped.

I think the comic relief in NCFOM was funnier, but this movie doesn't have a scary as shiite psycho overshadowing it.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
HOHW makes the list of this Top 10 sleeper hits of the year $27 million on a $12 million budget.

He also mentions it as one of his favorite films of the year.

http://uproxx.com/movies/sleeper-hits-2016/
Aggies76
AG
Jeff Bridges nominated for Best Supporting actor SAG award.
PJYoung
AG
spanky said:

Watched it tonight. Really like it...but of course I have a thing for bank robbers. Reminded me of my uncle: http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-last-ride-of-the-polo-shirt-bandit/

Wow, just read about your uncle. What a story.

I remembered him from living in Houston at the time of the robberies.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Knew nothing about that wild story. Guess cuz It wasn't in my area. Wow. What a crazy story.
watty
AG
Being a Temple resident now, that was a fascinating read. Also this movie is awesome.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Hell or High water nominated for best Drama at the golden globes. Very deserved.
Hotdog Hamblin
AG
Really enjoyed this movie, Bridges was nails but all the actors did a good job. Didn't read every post on this thread but will add that the music was great.
HiddenAg2
Hell or High Water is the best movie of the year.
Bunk Moreland
HiddenAg2 said:

Hell or High Water is the best movie of the year.

Agree. Watching it for a 2nd or 3rd time helped confirm that for me.
Zemira
AG
I purchased it for my Dad for Christmas. Hope he likes it!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Zemira said:

good idea.

just got it for mine + 13 Hours and Eye in the Sky

Zemira
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Zemira said:

good idea.

If not I will take it and get him a different movie lol.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

I give my parents movies all the time - I buy them the BR + DVD + Digital combo version then I steal the Digital code because they have no clue what that is or what to do with it. LOL

My father in law also moved in with us last year and had about 50 movies he still had the digital codes in the sleeves - he had no idea what they were. He was on hospice care. I Asked him if he cared if I took them and he said go for it. I got about 50 more that way.

I have about 150 digital movies now.

Bud Fox
Damn near perfect flick.
Jim01
AG
Just watched it tonight. Definitely one of the bests of the year.

Not much to add. My one tiny nitpick would be when Ben Foster dies and then they go back to a shot of him just sitting there and there is a rattlesnake rattling at his feet. The rat running across the ledge at the end of The Departed immediately popped into my mind. Of course not nearly as bad as that but just felt a little unnecessary.

Other than that I really enjoyed. Chris Pine is proving to be a very nice surprise acting wise. Initially seemed like a pretty boy action type guy but he actually has some chops.
TresPuertas
AG
In response to your redacted portion, I think that could have been an attempt at symbolism.

Or, it could just be showing that there are rattlesnakes EVERYWHERE in that part of the country.

Just my $.02.
MooreTrucker
AG
JAggie2007 said:

Saw the movie a week or so ago and loved it. I know it was mostly shot in New Mexico but I felt like any of those towns could've been Pecos/Monahans/Andrews/Kermit or just about any small town in West Texas. Haven't read every post in the thread but holy crap I didn't know the writer was the guy that played the Sheriff in Sons of Anarchy.
It was shot in NM, but anyone from this part of the world knows that from about Roswell/Ft Sumner east to the edge of the Caprock it's pretty much all the same anyway.
AgGrad99
AG
So I just got around to watching the movie. I thought Pine and Foster were both great in their roles. The humor throughout was pretty good. I liked seeing Chris Pine in a subdued role, since he was the calming voice of reason that kept them on their path throughout the film.

As awesome as he was, Ben Foster's character bothered me a bit, and it somewhat dampened the ending for me. The entire movie he was such a selfish person. But then at the end, completely sacrificed himself for his brother (brother's kids).

It would have helped me, if they'd have developed a little background as to why he would die for his little brother (like Pine's character having sacrificed a lot to take care of the mom, while Foster was in jail...or something along those lines). Something more than 'you asked' as a reason...given how much of a selfish trouble maker he'd been his entire life, and during their short lived run. They hinted about them being close, but Foster left Pine high and dry in the past...and was reckless during the robberies.

It was redeeming, and made for good story, but it was so out of character, from the way he acted the entire movie, it was hard for me to just accept that he just decided to do the right thing for his brother's kids.
VanZandt92
MooreTrucker said:

JAggie2007 said:

It was shot in NM, but anyone from this part of the world knows that from about Roswell/Ft Sumner east to the edge of the Caprock it's pretty much all the same anyway.

I miss it!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.