HELL OR HIGH WATER

47,908 Views | 274 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BowSowy
Icecream_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Original was more TexAgs
LeFraud
The original seemed like a sequel to the devil wears prada.
Aggies76
AG
Saw this last night. GREAT movie. Perfect acting and rich dialogue.

Reminded me a lot of No Country for Old Men, but the tone was not as dark.
TajMaballer
AG
Thanks Staff, for finally changing the name!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Saw this last night. Really really good. Even with. It built up by this thread it still met or exceeded expectations.

Casting was absolutely perfect. Every role was nails.

I enjoyed the pacing and the writing/dialogue. Some very good if not great acting. The mood and cinematography captured the west Texas feel perfectly.

My wife also loved it and this is not exactly her type of movie. She liked it better than No Country for example.

If there was one person I was worried about it was Chris Pine. But he was awesome.
OldArmy71
AG
Is this thing in wide release? It's showing at one theater on the west side of San Antonio.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Pine was awesome...as mentioned, much better at being Texan than I expected. And Bridges was his usual great self. But for me it was Foster that was absolutely amazing. I didn't feel like I was watching a performance, I felt like I was watching an actual West Texan that they cast in this role. He was perfect.
MrPlow2010
AG
I saw this the other day and loved it too. Such great acting all around. The nailed what it's like living out in west Texas. I read on imdb that it was filmed in New Mexico so the only thing I'd change is having it all filmed in Texas but I know it may be cheaper and stuff to do it out of state for tax reasons. After a summer of mostly duds it's refreshing to get this movie.

Meant to have thumbs up.
Sex Panther
AG
New Mexico is basically the go to for any setting like that. They and Louisiana have huge tax cuts and have cornered a huge segment of the film location market.
BassCowboy33
Best movie I've seen in several years; possibly since No Country For Old Men.
Zemira
AG
Saw it this afternoon and thought it was great, although I think I was the youngest person in the theater.

I have only been in West Texas and that part of Oklahoma a bit, but everything seemed spot on. I kept thinking certain things were just so Texas.

The dialogue and the characters were great. No extra scenes, everything had a purpose. No big unnecessary CGI or random unbelievable gunfights.

I was worried about Chris Pine, but even he fit the role.

We need more movies like this; things with a good story no gratuitous violence and no over the top CGI
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Saw it this afternoon with 100 old people. Loved it. Explained to my California-born wife that the best part was that everything and everyone hit the mark from a Texan's point of view. Pine was great, and Ben Foster has been one of my favorite actors for a while.

Great mix of drama, action, and chuckles. Loved the bit about Dr Pepper and Mr Pibb, and both waitresses were fantastic.
Zemira
AG
quote:
Saw it this afternoon with 100 old people. Loved it.

Yeah I was not expecting all the old people, but better than filled with brats!
Goodbull_19
AG
quote:
quote:
Saw it today and loved it. Absolutely captured West Texas. And perfectly efficient...by that I mean no wasted/throwaway scenes, dialogue, or characters. Perfect.

And the best part was that I saw this at noon, first showing of the day and the theater was at least half full....and then I snuck into Suicide Squad immediately after this and there were maybe twelve people tops in that movie. Extremely satisfying to see that.
I have no interest is seeing Suicide Squad. But I'd see this in the theater.

Suicide squad was the closest I ever have been to walking out of a movie. But 10/10 for Hell or High Water. Damn if that wasn't the best movie I've seen in a long while.
Goodbull_19
AG
quote:

Watched No Country For Old Men for the first time this morning. Hell or High Water tonight. It was a good day.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
quote:

Watched No Country For Old Men for the first time this morning. Hell or High Water tonight. It was a good day.

Finish the night with There Will Be Blood and make it epic.
FL_Ag1998
AG
This is hilarious reading about all the old people because it was the exact same when I saw it. The theater was probably 3/4 full and I think I was the only person under 60 in the theater.

But I simply attributed it to living in Florida and seeing a matine showing of it.
FancyKetchup14
AG
quote:
quote:

NCFOM is an absolutely fantastic movie. The ranch scenes were filmed on my buddies family's place out by Marfa.
Bunbury
AG
Can someone confirm the situation with the bank foreclosure and the oil lease? Would this situation actually occur where a bank could foreclose a property and then have full rights to the minerals etc? My only hang up with the plot was thinking that the Chevron lease would prevent the foreclosure, not encourage it. Is that correct?
Sex Panther
AG
Old people LOVE Jeff Bridges

As they should, don't get me wrong...
The Debt
quote:

He is very hit/miss.

True grit was decent, but he really hasn't done anything I appreciate since lebowski.

Tron2 was crap, the giver was crap, the 7th son was crap, RIPD was crap.

It's like he is in a competition with nice cage for the most terrible films in a career.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:

He is very hit/miss.

True grit was decent, but he really hasn't done anything I appreciate since lebowski.

It's like he is in a competition with nice cage for the most terrible films in a career.

Man, those are some truly awful movies although I didn't see 7th Son. The Giver was absolutely horrible. Tron while bad is really re-watchable though.

I think he will always get a pass even with bad movies due to his career and his likability, plus he's The Dude... But what's going on with his voice? Is that just how he talks now with that low grovel?
Quinn
AG
quote:
quote:

He is very hit/miss.

I thought he was incredible in Crazy Heart (2009), for which he won Best actor. Check it out if you haven't seen it.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
quote:
Can someone confirm the situation with the bank foreclosure and the oil lease? Would this situation actually occur where a bank could foreclose a property and then have full rights to the minerals etc? My only hang up with the plot was thinking that the Chevron lease would prevent the foreclosure, not encourage it. Is that correct?

The lease wouldn't have any effect on the foreclosure until the property began generating actual cash flow and the payments were made. Of course the bank has the option to restructure the loan with the lease in mind to give the borrower more time, but it was implied more than once that the lenders had made a habit out of obtaining these properties through similar means, so a restructure was likely out of the question. If the bank had been paying the taxes since 2012(?) with no repayment, the loan had probably been classified for a while and the foreclosure would have been completely justified.

Truthfully, I didn't pay too much attention to some of those details, because as a banker the predatory lender theme gets old. It all made enough sense to not let it get in the way of a great movie. But to your point, if we're playing along with the crooked banker theme, the mineral rights (lease in place or otherwise) would have made foreclosure an attractive option for the lender.
Zemira
AG
So what I gathered is it was a reverse mortgage for $25K from the scene in the lawyer's office. Reverse mortgages are due at death or sale of property. So their mom died and the bank probably gave them a month to settle up. Some reverse mortgages I believe will pay the taxes so this makes sense.
The Debt
quote:
quote:
quote:

He is very hit/miss.

I thought he was incredible in Crazy Heart (2009), for which he won Best actor. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

That was the one were he was a musician right?

I seem to recall he was pretty good in it, but it was ultimately forgettable. It was The Wrestler without marissa tomei.

Speaking of JBs growling. It seems in his old age he has found an appreciation for westerns. Crazy heart, true grit, and ripd all have this weird accent which may sound country to most of the us, it just sounds weird to many of us.
Aggies76
AG
And speaking again of JBs growling, the only problem I have with his "western" accent is that it is hard to understand at times. I really enjoyed True Grit but some of Rooster's dialogue was lost on me. I did find him easier to understand in Hell or High Water.
AG
It's showing at several theaters but the listings aren't showing up on google, you have to go to the individual theaters website.
OldArmy71
AG
Thank you.
Goodbull_19
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Update: There Will Be Blood is on Netflix. Will get back to you in a few hours.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Update: There Will Be Blood is on Netflix. Will get back to you in a few hours.

Be sure to drink your milkshake during viewing.
pilgrim82
AG
Loved the movie. I definitely felt the NCFOM vibe...I kept picturing Tommy Lee Jones in the Jeff Bridges role.
RC_57
AG
Wife and I went yesterday. Best movie we've seen in a while

Some of those scenes from their mother's house took me back to those summers days at my grandparents house on the Bernard prairie.

Scotty Flamingo
Apparently McLennan county sheriff parnell McNamara was the inspiration for jeff bridges character

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.