***Official GAME OF THRONES Season 7 (Book Readers/No show-specific spoilers)***

41,036 Views | 277 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Goose06
The Dog Lord
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Someone suggested we go ahead and start this. This is the book readers thread, so book information and theories can be discussed. NO SHOW-SPECIFIC SPOILERS FROM LEAKED INFORMATION.

Several reports have suggested that next season and season 8 will be shorter, likely due to the high production costs that will incur from more battles, more dragons, etc. Given that the story may have to move fairly quickly as a result, what do we think the major storylines will be?

Jon (aka The White Wolf, aka The King in the North):

• Now that the North seems to be united once again, they likely need to start preparing for the war to come. How you prepare for that is unknown at this time, but part of it will likely include assessing the resources at their disposal and discussing how best to fight (defending the Wall seems like the best option at this point).
  • They may also try to convince others in Westeros of the battle coming and seek out dragonglass and Valyrian steel.
  • We still have some unanswered questions about Jon's lineage, so I assume those are also answered through Bran and finally with the appearance of HR.

Sansa & LF:

• This could go many different ways. They could both stay in the North, both go south, split, etc. I think that LF has to make moves though with both Jon and Dany making ground.

Dany:

• She will start her conquest without having to conquer anyone in Dorne or the Reach really (except for houses that maybe don't join her).
  • The real issue is likely to be Euron. We will have to see if the show follows the books somewhat with Euron and the Iron Born invading the Reach which would also put him immediately into the view of the Dany/Tyrell alliance.
  • I assume she then moves on King's Landing which may not even require any fighting.

Jaime/Cersei:

• The reaction of Jaime will be significant, but I don't think the divide between them will form immediately. As people push back against Cersei, I could see her going the way of the Mad King and wanting to destroy everyone. As others have mentioned, that could be Jaime's cue to kill her.

White Walkers:

• I would love to get more perspective on their motives or activities to make them more human to viewers. I don't think we will get much beyond visions from Bran and the odd scene or two though.
  • I do think that the Wall coming down will likely be the end of Season 7.

There are also several minor storylines left to follow.

Bran:

• Bran has the potential to play several major roles (revealing Jon's parentage, revealing information about the WW or the Wall, warging into a dragon, etc.), but I still lump him into the "minor" storyline section since we usually get less time with him.

Arya:

• If she takes over LSH's role as many believe, she will likely stay in the riverlands. This could bring her into contact with Melisandre, the Brotherhood/Hound, etc. It's unclear if the Hound and Brotherhood will continue to play the same role, but I have to imagine that the Hound at least will have more to do.

Brienne/Pod:

• Will she run into Arya or the Brotherhood? Will she simply return North quickly to rejoin Sansa? Will she somehow come into contact with Jaime again?

Daario:

• We have either seen the last of Daario, or he could be one of the prophesied betrayers of Dany (for love?).

Ser Jorah:

• The dude can't just be gone. I assume he will travel to somewhere like Asshai and discover something important about greyscale or something about magic/dragons/Azor Ahai/etc. that will be important. I think he is a dead man, but he will still provide important information to the story.

Sam/Gilly:

• Everyone has predicted that he will also discover some crucial information to the story hidden in the Citadel (potentially something to do with the crafting of Valyrian steel).
  • Where his journey takes him though is unknown. Will he interact with Dany or others? Will his father pursue him (you have to think he will)? Will he meet Marwyn or a similar character?

Freys/Tullys:

• There may be continued war against these two factions now that the leaders of the Freys have been killed. It also adds even more chaos to the Riverlands.

The Faceless Men:

• I think we are probably done with them in the show, but I would love to see them/Jaqen play a role still.

I think the season could end with the major storylines in the North and South converging, but a lot would surely need to happen to get there. They may leave some of that for the beginning of the last season.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG

First!
HeardAboutPerio
AG
Gonna be a long 42 weeks. Longest offseason possible. When does fall camp start?!
Independent George
AG
In.

42 week wait? Finally going to give in and read the books.
Really???
Do we know who is in charge of most of the ruling houses now?

Lannister- Cersei is titular head but I believe there is a cousin acting as Steward of the house.

Stark - Jon

Baratheron - Ummmm

Tyrrell - Olena?

Martell - Lots of choices from that books, presumably Ellaria on the show.

Tully - assuming Edmund gets released does he take power back?

Greyjoy - Hoping for a huge naval battle here

Dany is going to show up and there isn't going to be much to rule.
yeahtoast
AG
I noticed you left off the Brotherhood Without Banners from your fancypants bulletpoint list.

May I interest you in an Arya Stoneheart & the Hound season spinoff?
BryanAggie2013
AG
Going to be a long wait, but I think it'll be worth it!
yeahtoast
AG
Also, **********, this is too soon to start another tinfoil lined thread I have to keep up with. A day after the finale? Really?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Page 1.

Man, this wait is gonna be rough.

Starks and Dany fixing to lay the smack down.
MaroonStain
AG
42 weeks...Don't know how I will hold up. Need more hobbies. Anyone ever crochet?
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Can we agree to ban all perceived travel time complaints from this year's thread? It's making the other one insufferable.
marble rye
AG
quote:
Can we agree to ban all perceived travel time complaints from this year's thread? It's making the other one insufferable.

Yes!!
TajMaballer
AG
I think I'm going to try to finish up the books before Winds of Winter comes out. Now, with my (and every book reader's) luck, by the time I dig into this journey, Winds of Winter will get a release date.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
To me it is down to three main stories:

1. Jon and the North army, Starks, Wildlings, etc.
2. Dany and her Dothraki/2nd sons/unsullied army
3. Cersei and KL + loyal houses armies (mostly Riverrun and Westernlands and Stormlands)

There are 3 smaller parties who each are in bed with one of those above

a. LF and the Vale army currently aligned with the North more or less
b. Euron and the Iron Islands - might be loyal to Dany but not sure after Yara and Theon beat them there and made their own deal. Mostly they just brought ships though. Euron has the numbers.
c. Dorne/The Reach with the Martells and Tyrells who appear to be open to Dany as well - anti Lannister/KL anyway.

Oh and the 4th major player lest we forget.

4. WW, NK and the army of the dead beyond the wall

CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
So does the Night King now have the ability to bypass ANY magical barriers to reach Bran now that he marked him in the vision, or was it specific to the cave of the Three Eyed Raven? I would guess if it was the former Bran would know it (being the TER & all) & not be so eager to get to the other side of the Wall. Uncle Benjen might have some idea and mention it too.
M.C. Swag
AG
Bold prediction #1 for S7:

We WILL see Gendry return!
Malcolm52
AG
Any theories out there as to how Littlefinger knows of Jon's parentage?

Urban Ag
AG
quote:
I think I'm going to try to finish up the books before Winds of Winter comes out. Now, with my (and every book reader's) luck, by the time I dig into this journey, Winds of Winter will get a release date.
Nah, you're good, take your time, no need to rush.

Really, take your time.
Teddy Perkins
AG
What will Sam write next?
hunter2012
AG
Littlefinger's next move will be interesting since the Eyrie just declared Jon King of the North. With Dany coming in as a curveball he's going to have to do something drastic to not be subverted.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:

You're assuming that he does know?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:

Deduction. same as book readers who heard the same legends and said....hmmmmmm.

He may not "know" but he probably has a damn good idea.

And if he knew he could have followed up - he and Varys had many contacts - he could have talked to Howland Reed. Who knows. Or one of the two nurses maids that was there.

People often do not speak of the help when talking about who was at some event regarding royalty or knights or other legendary stories.

So when they said only Howland Reed and Ned Stark were survivors of the Tower of Joy - well there were likely servants there and w have now seen 2 of them. could have been more too. Could have been squires, etc.

Al Bula
AG
Surely The Winds of Winter will be out before Season 7.
Ambres
AG
Robyn Arryn wasn't there to yell King in the North .. also I now want a scene with Robyn and Lady Mormont .. so much greatness between them too.. in fact I think Lady Mormont would be a good match for little Robyn.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
Surely The Winds of Winter will be out before Season 7.

We can only hope, but expecting anything from GRRM usually results in disappointment.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
I noticed you left off the Brotherhood Without Banners from your fancypants bulletpoint list.

May I interest you in an Arya Stoneheart & the Hound season spinoff?

I just kind of lumped them under Arya, but yes...yes I would be interested.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
Also, **********, this is too soon to start another tinfoil lined thread I have to keep up with. A day after the finale? Really?

It's never too soon! You go spend the next 24 hours on Reddit and YouTube looking at theories now to make up for your blasphemy. Specifically, I recommend trying to find something about how the High Sparrow isn't dead and is still Howland Reed.
marble rye
AG
quote:
Robyn Arryn wasn't there to yell King in the North .. also I now want a scene with Robyn and Lady Mormont .. so much greatness between them too.. in fact I think Lady Mormont would be a good match for little Robyn.

Sweetrobyn is a pansy ass crybaby. She would boot him out the moon door herself.
suburban cowboy
AG
In.

Going to read the books to pass the time.
Malcolm52
AG
quote:
quote:

You're assuming that he does know?

Well there was the creepy foreshadowing in the crypts with Sansa a couple seasons ago. Seemed to be hinting something...then in the season finale he said. "Who should the north rally behind? A true born daughter of Ned Stark, or a motherless bastaard from the south?"

just seems like he is leading on like he knows something about the "born in the south" part
M.C. Swag
AG
Lol because he was born in the south? I think that's common knowledge.

He's trying to pit Sansa against Jon. He can't control her while Jon is still in the picture. He's simply trying to undermine any potential claim Jon may posses and give himself the clearest path to the iron throne.

Who knows, maybe he does know and the show will pull out some **** about him capturing Howland Reed or something. Either way, I think it's a little presumptuous to think that Ned's most guarded secret, something he even kept from his wife at the potential expense of their marriage, was uncovered by LF.
M.C. Swag
AG
Also, and MOST importanty, if LF possessed that knowledge, he definitely would have leveraged it against Ned LONG ago.
BowSowy
AG
I disagree about Bran being a minor character. He is one of the few in the realm who knows of the WW's strength and is one of the few who knows about Jon's true lineage. I think those are two of the most major storylines in the show and I think they make him a major character. He will also likely be the one who brings down the wall.
BowSowy
AG
Also, I have to think that Arya will play a big role. There has been so much time invested in her and I just don't think the payoff is that she checks people off her list.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
I disagree about Bran being a minor character. He is one of the few in the realm who knows of the WW's strength and is one of the few who knows about Jon's true lineage. I think those are two of the most major storylines in the show and I think they make him a major character. He will also likely be the one who brings down the wall.

I agree that the role that he plays is likely going to be huge, potentially one of the biggest roles in the show. I was just referring more to which storylines will likely get more screen time and seem like a more major part of the show. It's the same with Arya really although she may get more time if her story converged with Melisandre, the Brotherhood, etc.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.