HBO's The Night Of

82,656 Views | 735 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Objective Aggie
Jim01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just binged this. Overall good, not great. I don't have time to read 20 pages of this thread so I'm sure I'm repeating, but my issues:

1. Naz's "transformation" - It was too much. The series didn't do a good job at demarcating time. Other than a few mentions of "the slow wheels of justice" there was really no good indicator of a timeline from arrest to trial. Was it months? Weeks? Watching the series in one weekend with no good indicator it seemed like in the period of one episode he completely changed. It was just too much of a jump from bambi eyes to killer stare. He became a completely unlikable person.

2. The blood. The f'ing blood! Good who-dun-its answer the questions the audience is asking themselves. Great ones answer questions you didn't even think to ask. But this one missed such an obvious one. It was a blood bath in the room and yet he had only a tiny blood on one hand. Completely unbelievable to me that wasn't addressed.

3. The lazy/hacky kiss in the jail cell. Ugh. In scenes with a lot of tension/intensity there are two things writers do A LOT that drive me nuts. First, is when everyone in the scene breaks into laughter. The second is the out of no where romance/kiss angle. Just insane to me. There was no indication or ground work laid out for that, and it just hurt the series.

Oh well. It was a well shot and well acted series, but really I'm not sure it's elevated that much over a drawn out Law & Order episode to some degree.
Objective Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jim01 said:

Just binged this. Overall good, not great. I don't have time to read 20 pages of this thread so I'm sure I'm repeating, but my issues:

1. Naz's "transformation" - It was too much. The series didn't do a good job at demarcating time. Other than a few mentions of "the slow wheels of justice" there was really no good indicator of a timeline from arrest to trial. Was it months? Weeks? Watching the series in one weekend with no good indicator it seemed like in the period of one episode he completely changed. It was just too much of a jump from bambi eyes to killer stare. He became a completely unlikable person.

2. The blood. The f'ing blood! Good who-dun-its answer the questions the audience is asking themselves. Great ones answer questions you didn't even think to ask. But this one missed such an obvious one. It was a blood bath in the room and yet he had only a tiny blood on one hand. Completely unbelievable to me that wasn't addressed.

3. The lazy/hacky kiss in the jail cell. Ugh. In scenes with a lot of tension/intensity there are two things writers do A LOT that drive me nuts. First, is when everyone in the scene breaks into laughter. The second is the out of no where romance/kiss angle. Just insane to me. There was no indication or ground work laid out for that, and it just hurt the series.

Oh well. It was a well shot and well acted series, but really I'm not sure it's elevated that much over a drawn out Law & Order episode to some degree.
Exactly how I felt. If you suspend disbelief, it has great acting, cinematography, and characters. But tons of plot holes. You just had to let them go.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.