HBO's The Night Of

81,841 Views | 735 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Objective Aggie
Ervin Burrell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Doesn't premiere until July 10th but there's a sneak preview of the first episode up on HBO Go. Most of the way through the first episode and it isn't bad at all. I remember the trailer for this show intrigued me. Anyone else watching?
Professor Frick
AG
Cool to know the first EP is up. From the commercials the wife and I got an "Adnan" Serial vibe. Will def check it out
agmag90
Thanks for the heads up Ervin, just watched the whole thing. Loved it, totally hooked. Awesome first episode
Ervin Burrell
AG
Just finished after a dinner break in between. Great, great episode. I think Turturo in his brief appearance stole the show. The guy who played Detective Box was really good as well.

Also, how can you not love Bodie reprising his role ?

Hooked as well.
Texags is garbage
Going to give it a shot.
tylercsbn9
AG

Really solid premiere. I wish it was on Netflix so I could watch it all at once.

Hotdog Hamblin
AG
Strong to quite strong premiere.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Some tidbits after reading a review:

-The writer of this series was a writer on The Wire. Bodes extremely well.
-James Gandolfini was originally supposed to play Turturo's character, and he's credited as an executive producer. This project has been in the works a while.
-The Director wrote the screenplay for Schindler's List, Gangs of New York, and Moneyball among a ton of other stuff.

HBO isn't f'ing around with this show.
TCTTS
AG
So great to hear, guys. Saving this one for after Game of Thrones ends the season, since there won't be much else on the rest of the summer, so I won't be watching 'til it actually airs. Definitely looking forward to it even more now after reading these reactions.
beanbean
IMDB only have Naz and Box listed for 2 episodes. That can't be right can it? Other characters are listed for multiple episodes with John Turturro listed for all 8. No telling though, because any previews or clips I can find are really pretty vague.
Sentinel
AG
Enjoyed the first episode. Can't wait for more.
Stan Rizzo
AG
Bodie is back and looks like Omar too! Pretty dang good first episode. I kind of felt the "Serial" vibe too. Torturro was awesome. Wife and I are hooked.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill
SarcasmAg08
AG
We watched last night and were really impressed with it! Pretty excited to watch this series.

My wife said it reminded her of Serial. I called her a racist.
2008and1
AG
Just watched the first episode tonight. My wife and I both really enjoyed it.
agdoc2001
AG
quote:
We watched last night and were really impressed with it! Pretty excited to watch this series.

My wife said it reminded her of Serial. I called her a racist.
Good man.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Alan Pavio
AG
Just watched and enjoyed as well. Maybe they are only in the first few episodes because there will be multiple cases highlighting 'The Night Of'?

Wild guess on my part because I have not done any reading on the premise of the show, had only seen the previews, and watched the first episode after friends highly recommended it.
Alan Pavio
AG
Never mind, Google tells me it's one case.
Whoop04
I thought the first episode was meh. Not nearly as gritty as I expect from HBO and cliched and forced at times. The story is going to have to carry it but I am not holding out hope.
Ervin Burrell
AG
quote:
I thought the first episode was meh. Not nearly as gritty as I expect from HBO and cliched and forced at times. The story is going to have to carry it but I am not holding out hope.

What specifically did you find cliche? Only part I thought seemed cliche was when they found the knife on him with the lead investigator right there.
Whoop04
Almost all of the dialogue with the cops seemed like it was ripped from other cop shows. They were all playing their roles, I.e. Black cop #2, or bitter desk sergeant. I realize true detective (season 1 is the only one that exists in my mind) is an almost impossibly tough bar, but to me, that's the HBO standard and I don't think this came close to that. I will still watch it though as long as the story hooks me.
Phat32
AG
Great pilot, will definitely check out the rest. Also, Naz is the worst criminal ever if guilty.
Ervin Burrell
AG
quote:
Also, Naz is the worst criminal ever if guilty.
Blacking out after a night of tequila and ecstasy (or whatever that pill was) will do that.
Phat32
AG
quote:
quote:
Blacking out after a night of tequila and ecstasy (or whatever that pill was) will do that.
Experience?
AggieChemist
AG
quote:
quote:
Don't forget the cocaine chaser.
rhutton125
AG
Excited to start this. The kid (Naz?) was great in Nightcrawler.
Btron
AG
I really liked how the director focused on events that I'm sure will come into his defense. I.e. Gas station camera, asking cops for directions, hand on the rail, calling home etc. those little pauses made me think they will have substance later on and help prove or deny Naz innocnece.
I wonder to why it takes place in 2014? Why not 15 or 16?
Ragoo
AG
Detective Box felt like the detective in Boondok Saints.
black_hat_ag
Great show. Looking forward to upcoming episodes.
TXAGFAN
AG
quote:
I really liked how the director focused on events that I'm sure will come into his defense. I.e. Gas station camera, asking cops for directions, hand on the rail, calling home etc. those little pauses made me think they will have substance later on and help prove or deny Naz innocnece.
I wonder to why it takes place in 2014? Why not 15 or 16?
Is it because they had to redo the pilot and cast when Gandolfini died?
dave94
AG
I'm assuming the trial will take place in 2016.
Joan Wilder
AG
According to Sepinwall, that was mostly the original 2014 pilot with gandolfini's scenes re shot with Turturro.

Man, I really enjoyed that - step by step you see him making mistakes that will hang him from a forensic and crime scene standpoint.

I enjoyed the hell out of the lived in feel of that cop station and the different cops - felt very close to the Wire in that way. Bodie was nails as always
Ag_07
AG
Wife and I watched the pilot this weekend and thought it was pretty good.

I thought it was suspenseful and besides a couple of Naz's actions it was all pretty plausible. It's biggest downfall was just that it dragged a bit there in the middle. I found myself saying 'OK move on now. This needs to pick up a bit'.

Overall I thought it was well done with some nice foreshadowing, good acting, and cool story/concept. We'll keep watching for sure.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I thought the 90 minutes flew by for episode 1. Really looking forward to this show. It's just a 1 season miniseries correct?
OldArmy71
AG
I thought it was well-done and suspenseful.

I noticed the victim left her back gate open when she put the cat outside.

The darker-skinned black man who was with the guy who mouthed off to Naz took a very long look at Naz and the girl before they walked off. His friend did not mention he had been walking with this guy. (Probably understandable; didn't want to get him involved. He was there at the crime scene but didn't say anything.)

Sounds kind of like the OJ case: broken chain of custody issues already, demonstrated in the scene with the desk sergeant and the two CSI men.
Blaine_Bishop
Wouldn't Naz have blood all over him and/or his clothes if he did it? Not sure why the cops wouldn't pick up on that. Other than that I thought it was great.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.