Band of Brothers

6,157 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Swarely
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I liked Day of Days the best, but they are all outstanding.

They are all great. "Why We Fight" may be the best episode of any show ever.
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
quote:

This is my favorite. Very powerful episode.
annie88
AG
quote:
quote:

Why We Fight is my second favorite. Bastogne is the best imo, but they're all good.
aggiedata
AG
Made 15 years ago! It's timeless! They did such a great job that it does not feel dated at all.
Madmarttigan
AG
I remember a friend told me about this sophomore year of college. I grabbed it off of DC++, and started watching it one evening. I could not stop and plowed through every episode until like 7 am the next morning, one of the greatest series I've ever watched.

I did end up buying it for real eventually .
PatAg
AG
quote:
I remember a friend told me about this sophomore year of college. I grabbed it off of DC++, and started watching it one evening. I could not stop and plowed through every episode until like 7 am the next morning, one of the greatest series I've ever watched.

I did end up buying it for real eventually .
DC++ !! Allegedly a great service that no one can ever truly prove existed! I definitely didn't drag the folder to my movies folder, and have it already downloaded by the time I switched windows.
OnlyForNow
AG
Right. The speed of that thing was crazy!
Big Al 1992
AG
Finally started watching because of this thread - always meant to.
Through episode 4 - fantastic.
MrPlow2010
AG
I too just recently starting watching this series. I've bought it on blu ray years ago but never watched it. 3 episodes in and I love it. Can't appreciate that generation enough.
cone
AG
David Webster: [at a passing column of German prisoners] Hey, you! That's right, you stupid Kraut *******s! That's right! Say hello to Ford, and General ****in' Motors! You stupid fascist pigs! Look at you! You have horses! What were you thinking? Dragging our asses half way around the world, interrupting our lives... For what, you ignorant, servile scum! What the **** are we doing here?
AgGrad99
AG
This thread made me go back and re-watch the series.

Every episode has so many things in it that stick out.

One theme throughout that resonates with me is the focus on who was leading the regimen at any given time. They had great leaders who they'd follow anywhere, and they had terrible leaders that they knew would get them killed (and did). It would have been really tough to follow through with my duty, knowing I was likely being lead to slaughter by someone who was incompetent.
JABQ04
AG
Excellent series along with the Pacific. I could watch them over and over. I remember my sophomore year at A&M the series was about to be released and the whole Corps was shown Day of Days episode in Rudder on the big screen. Freaking amazing. I bought it my junior year when released on DVD for like $88 and some buddies and I watched it one episode at a time in my dorm room.
Swarely
If you haven't already, read the book. It explains little things that make watching the show so much better. Like how they discuss that Buck Compton was a terrific catcher who could pick a runner off at 2nd base. That came in handy when at Brecourt Manor he threw a grenade like a baseball, and hit a German in the back of the head right as it blew up.

Also, I found it interesting that Winters chose Speirs to replace Dike because he was the first person he saw; not because he was the most competent.
Carlo4
AG
quote:
quote:
I was just going to ask this. I need to take a look. Never seen it, and I'm embarrassed to say considering the subject.
Whatever you are doing right now is not as valuable of a use of your time as watching Band of Brothers.

Finished! I now completely agree with this statement.
Disco Stu
AG
quote:
Also, I found it interesting that Winters chose Speirs to replace Dike because he was the first person he saw; not because he was the most competent.
This is one of my favorite sequences of the whole series.
MaroonStain
AG
That is not how it went. Winters saw it was a sheit show and yells out "Spears!" Spears runs out of the line's left side and gets to business.
Swarely
In the book.
Swarely
quote:
At Foy, he was the first officer I saw when I turned around. It could have been anybody, but it was Speirs. I didn't ask, 'OK, would you mind taking over?' No, I just turned around, saw him and said take over. It was just a roll of the dice that he was standing there when I needed someone.

http://www.historynet.com/****-winters-reflections-on-the-band-of-brothers-d-day-and-leadership.htm
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.