Ghost in the Shell starring Scarlett Johansson

13,830 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by YouBet
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Paramount has put out some teasers (all about 10 seconds in length). Here's a couple.

Duncan Idaho
I would have preferred a live action cowboy bebop
jabberwalkie09
AG
I'm not sure that a live action Bebop movie will actually ever happen at this point. They have been talking about doing a Bebop movie since like 2008. Not only that, but Reeves gave the impression that the movie was going to start at the red eye story line (the beginning of the series) and incorporate elements of the rest of the series. I don't know how they would expect to do all that (the history with Julia and Vicious in particular) without making it like a three and a half hour movie.
TCTTS
AG
I know next to nothing about Ghost in the Shell, but I have to say, this at least looks awesome. Really loving these visuals. Hopefully this means an actual trailer is imminent...

TCTTS
AG
Decent little fan edit of all the teasers together...

hunter2012
AG
quote:
Decent little fan edit of all the teasers together...

For a fan cut trailer on the same day of release that is phenomenal. The score there is from the first movie(according to reddit).
Duncan Idaho
What is sad is that is going to get dropped for violating copyright. When it does more to make me want to see the movie than anything I have seen
amercer
AG
Those look awesome.

And yet, I'm not sure I'll be able to buy ScarJo as the major. She is an incredible actress, but in those clips there is already too much emotion on her face. I really hope this translates to live action, because the story is such action packed, futuristic, philosophical awesomeness.

Also I was paging through Netflix the other day and it looks like they have one of the new OVAs, but not the first one. What's up with that?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Netflix has only had the first few Arise ovas up, so if they have the last one I'll have to watch it. I felt thay Arise didn't really have the same allure to it the movies or series did until the third one though. They also may have only had the license for it for a limited time.
jabberwalkie09
AG

That's straight up a scene from the original anime movie.
TCTTS
AG
This really does look legit. Awesome little featurette here, and then the first official trailer coming Sunday...

GiveEmHellBill
AG
Cool to hear the director of the anime movies consider this film to be "part of the series" and not just a 'Hollywood-version' of the original anime.
TCTTS
AG
First trailer is finally here. Never seen the anime, but this looks pretty damn cool...

TCTTS
AG
First poster as well...

GiveEmHellBill
AG
Has a very "manga-meets-Blade Runner" look to the city
Saxsoon
AG
Damn

I hope this does well at the box office. If Lucy can do the numbers it did, SJ should be able to pull in big numbers for this one.
Saxsoon
AG
TCTTS said:

First trailer is finally here. Never seen the anime, but this looks pretty damn cool...

Anime is on Hulu. Just started watching
PatAg
AG
damn she is sexy
amercer
AG
Hmmmm.

Still looks good, but I'm not sure about some of the plot points hinted at in that trailer
AliasMan02
AG
I'd go see this one just to get a glimpse of this super tactile world they've produced. Looks awesome.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Marsuvees said:

I hate to say this but is there a single Japanese actress that would pull in the people that Scarlett does?
Duh. Lucy Liu.
hunter2012
AG
Marsuvees said:

TCTTS said:

Anime is on Hulu. Just started watching

It should be pointed out that "Stand Alone Complex" is a seperate movie series than the TV show and movies for anyone getting into the movies. That being said, they are really good. If the live action follows SAC it'll be really good.
jabberwalkie09
AG
hunter2012 said:

Marsuvees said:

TCT said:

It should be pointed out that "Stand Alone Complex" is a seperate movie series than the TV show and movies for anyone getting into the movies. That being said, they are really good. If the live action follows SAC it'll be really good.

Yep, the SAC are in a different timeline from the original film and Innocence.

Was reading an article on Comicbook that mentioned who the villain is for the film, and it looks like they may be borrowing from both the movie and series for this. Details tagged because I don't think it's been mentioned who it is in the thread. It looks like it will be Kuze as the villain, but will be an amalgamation of both Kuze and The Puppetmaster. I'm... not sure how well that will blend.
jabberwalkie09
AG
New trailer, but this one is borderline on giving away the plot of the movie IMO.

Other than obvious homages like the chase scene and the tank battle, what I take away from the trailer is that this will be an original story.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I enjoyed watching Mythbusters for a long time, and I've enjoyed Adam Savage's stuff he posts on his Tested channel on YouTube. Here he's taking a look at the geishas for the film, and the mask they use for them. The level of work in this kind of stuff just blows me away.

Quad Dog
AG
Here's a trailer with the first 5 minutes.
dreyOO
amercer said:

Those look awesome.

And yet, I'm not sure I'll be able to buy ScarJo as the major. She is an incredible actress, but in those clips there is already too much emotion on her face. I really hope this translates to live action, because the story is such action packed, futuristic, philosophical awesomeness.

Yep, I like her in general. But for some reason, I think she looks awkward in action sequences. I may take heat for this because she's hot in the outfit, but I think she's clumsy as black widow.

I may have too high a standard or something. I'm thinking Kate Beckinsale in Underworld is what I expect on the hot-to-kickass ratio.
Saxsoon
AG
dreyOO said:

amercer said:

Those look awesome.

Yep, I like her in general. But for some reason, I think she looks awkward in action sequences. I may take heat for this because she's hot in the outfit, but I think she's clumsy as black widow.

I may have too high a standard or something. I'm thinking Kate Beckinsale in Underworld is what I expect on the hot-to-kickass ratio.
Nothing wrong with liking Beckinsale
Saxsoon
AG
Quad Dog said:

Here's a trailer with the first 5 minutes.

That was phenomenal
jabberwalkie09
AG
New trailer out.

Sex Panther
AG
Opens Friday and no reviews yet... hmmmm
TCTTS
AG
I don't even think it's screened for most critics domestically yet, which is an even worse sign. I think a select few got to see it Friday in advance of the press junket, but that's about it. That said, the French review embargo lifted over the weekend, but I can't understand a single one...
jabberwalkie09
AG
Google translator? Should give some kind of rough guess.

Honestly though, I'm not overly optimistic about this film despite being a fan of the franchise.
TCTTS
AG
If anyone wants to have at it...

http://www.ecranlarge.com/films/critique/981732-ghost-in-the-shell-critique-robotique

http://fr.ign.com/ghost-in-the-shell-theater/24020/feature/ghost-in-the-shell-un-film-peu-fidele-mais-respectueux-criti

http://www.avoir-alire.com/ghost-in-the-shell-2017-la-critique-du-film

http://www.fanactu.com/actualites/cinema/6788/ghost-the-shell.html

http://www.unificationfrance.com/article47874.html?lang=fr
Sex Panther
AG
Just a quick glance and it seems that most of them say it's average to slightly above.

Quote:

Visually pleasing, the American live adaptation of Ghost in the Shell fishing unfortunately by its lack of depth in relation to the original work. Despite interesting screenwriting additions (notably concerning the Major's past), Rupert Sanders' movie is struggling to convince ... remains a blockbuster in the average of current productions, sufficiently watered down to adapt to all audiences and offering Action scenes pleasing to the eye. They were, however, expected more to be seduced.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.