Ghost in the Shell starring Scarlett Johansson

13,750 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by YouBet
HeadGames
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, as far as visual eye candy movies go, it can't be worse than transformers... plot wise... right?
jabberwalkie09
AG
It would especially be hard to be worse than Age of Extinction.
TCTTS
AG
First domestic review I've seen...

TCTTS
AG
Pretty positive reaction...

amercer
AG
"larger reasons" ?

Is there some controversy? Glad the reviews are positive. I'd probably see it either way because of the anime, but its motivation to catch it in the theater
schmendeler
AG
amercer said:

"larger reasons" ?

Is there some controversy? Glad the reviews are positive. I'd probably see it either way because of the anime, but its motivation to catch it in the theater

I can only imagine something related to white washing?
TCTTS
AG
jabberwalkie09
AG
The Indiewire review reminds me a lot of one of the French reviews you posted. Basically visually stunning but lacking depth in story. I think that's what we get for blending themes, based on what I know of the franchise, from across the franchise rather than focusing on any one particular aspect of it.

FWIW, Motoko's origin was somewhat explored in the Stand Alone Complex's 2nd Gig. Which this film seems to deal with to some degree based on the trailers and reviews. I'm wondering how that will translate to film as to exploring it over several episodes.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Quote:

Go see it, but I understand if you won't for larger reasons.
You can always just go to your safe space until the bad white people are gone.......
AGC
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

The Indiewire review reminds me a lot of one of the French reviews you posted. Basically visually stunning but lacking depth in story. I think that's what we get for blending themes, based on what I know of the franchise, from across the franchise rather than focusing on any one particular aspect of it.

FWIW, Motoko's origin was somewhat explored in the Stand Alone Complex's 2nd Gig. Which this film seems to deal with to some degree based on the trailers and reviews. I'm wondering how that will translate to film as to exploring it over several episodes.

The indie review was spot on. Saw it with the wife last night not having read any reviews but expecting pretty much that and was not disappointed.

Visually fun but much more suited for a Netflix run than theaters. Some of the team really only have two lines and most rarely get screen time.

ScarJo is very stiff in her dialogue and mannerisms and it's hard to connect with the personal elements of the story.
Cromagnum
AG
Ugly women be all like "that movie sucks because Scarlett shows too much skin"
aTmAg
AG
Does it follow the original movie? I saw it a long time ago, and forgot most of it (except the visuals). But I don't remember thinking it was shallow.
Sex Panther
AG
Yikes... 19 million opening weekend

Warner Bros might be rethinking Akira right now
TCTTS
AG
Even though I never saw the original, I can see how it was groundbreaking back in the day, but man, this version was a been-there-done-that snooze fest.

I will never understand the need from studios to make the original thing all other popular things where inspired by. By its very nature, the original thing, when finally brought to the screen in live action, is just going to feel redundant. John Carter, Ghost in the Shell, etc. - we've seen it all a million times by now. Add the fact that this was the most vanilla effort possible, and what's the point?

It's not a bad movie by any means - and it definitely looks cool at times - but there is just nothing memorable about it. The action is bland, the dialogue is bland (and so, so expositional), the villain is bland, and even ScarJo is bland. Just a super predictable story, too

Overall, I'd say it's worth watching on cable/streaming, but no way you should see this in theaters. Save your money for the summer season, which is just over a month away.
aTmAg
AG
I remember watching the original Matrix and thinking of how much stuff it seemed to steal from the Ghost in the Shell. I still think the Matrix is cool. It's weird that this movie is considered such a dud.
FatZilla
AG
What a horrible adaption of GITS. The characters are so out of character that I don't believe the director ever watched GITS nor even tried to understand the characters. The Major, Aramaki and Batou (To some extent) were all way out of character. They added random team members, who the F is Ladriya (the other chick)? She got more screen time than Pazu, Borma, Ishikawa and Saito combined (Not even sure I saw all of them in the movie). Outside of taking names and throwing them onto look alikes, this movie is a HUGE flop. I mean they didn't even try with Kuze. It like they took parts of the Laughing Man and Kuze, threw them into a random robot and said here is our protagonist!

...and we got no tachikomas in the movie, ******* producers....

/rant off

God what a waste of a good series.

jabberwalkie09
AG
So, I went and saw this last night. I mean it wasn't bad and it wasn't great, but man does it ever feel like a missed opportunity.

I mean, what the **** were they thinking by making Kuze the Puppetmaster, The Laughing Man, and sort of what he was in the tv series as a revolutionary of sorts? And then to top it all off, he's a better hacker that Motoko? Which rounds me around to Motoko. Where the hell do they go with her character if they wanted to do another movie? (Not that I think it'll happen, but just for discussion sake.) Seems like her character pretty much ran it's course in this movie. Well, I guess they could go the route of Innocence and focus more on Togusa (who had maybe a handful of lines) and Batou.

Also, why the **** did they feel the need to effectively replace Togusa with some random chick that I can't remember the name of?

Frankly, the positives I liked about the movie were the setting/world, Beat Takeshi's Aramaki, and Pilou Asbaek's Batou.

About halfway through the film, I found myself thinking that you could possibly use this film for something in the Blade Runner universe with Motoko as a replicant.
FatZilla
AG
It was Pazu they replaced with the random black chick (Prolly a PC millennial reason behind this ****) rather than Togusa. His character was alright but he got maby 2-3 mins of screen time the whole movie. Hell the entire section 9 team was basically ignored story wise. They only focused on the major, batou and aramaki.

This movie was terrible.
jabberwalkie09
AG
FatZilla said:

It was Pazu they replaced with the random black chick (Prolly a PC millennial reason behind this ****) rather than Togusa. His character was alright but he got maby 2-3 mins of screen time the whole movie. Hell the entire section 9 team was basically ignored story wise. They only focused on the major, batou and aramaki.

This movie was terrible.
What I meant was that generally if Motoko isn't teamed with Batou, she's teamed with Togusa or Batou is teamed with Togusa. Or the three of them together. In the film, they used the new rando chick whose name I can't remember in his place at the club. Leaving him to basically just be there as "hey we know you wanted to see Togusa, so here he is" for a role.

Yeah, there wasn't a whole lot of the team involved in the film and I honestly don't even remember Pazu or Isihikawa showing up in the film. I think I vaguely remember Bourma at the initial briefing but that was it.
YouBet
AG
Admittedly, I was drunk.

But, I attempted to watch this last night and never finished it. I quickly got bored with it and moved onto something else of which I do not recall.

I found my tv blaring this morning with a shattered glass on the floor in front of the couch where I had been sitting.

I may attempt again but I really don't think I will based on reviews here.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.