*****Downton Abbey Final Season*****

21,656 Views | 157 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by easttexasaggie04
StringerBell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So help me god if Edith ends up unhappy I'm ****ing flying to England and burning that ******* abbey to the ground

FREE EDITH
combat wombat™
AG
Didja know that you can find out the ending? I was doing some plot searching, and found all sorts of stuff regarding the last episode.

I won't share, good or bad. But if you feel you can't wait, it's out there.
Counterpoint
AG
quote:
Didja know that you can find out the ending? I was doing some plot searching, and found all sorts of stuff regarding the last episode.

It aired a long time ago in the UK!
agracer
AG
quote:
So help me god if Edith ends up unhappy I'm ****ing flying to England and burning that ******* abbey to the ground

FREE EDITH
You mean the Edith that slept with a married man, got pregnant, abandoned her child not once but TWICE, then took it back and evicted a long time and extremely loyal tenant over her bad decisions? The Edith who refused to tell the marque about her child despite her aunt and mother insisting she should be honest with him from the get go? ...that Edith?
The Collective
AG
My thoughts exactly. So, I'm supposed to feel sympathetic for Edith, because Mary is a ***** to her? Nope.
combat wombat™
AG
quote:
You mean the Edith that slept with a married man, got pregnant, abandoned her child not once but TWICE, then took it back and evicted a long time and extremely loyal tenant over her bad decisions? The Edith who refused to tell the marque about her child despite her aunt and mother insisting she should be honest with him from the get go? ...that Edith?
Okay, I'm going to address this.

• I'm not arguing about the morality of sleeping with a married guy. But the reality was that he was trying to get a divorce because his was was insane and institutionalized. He'd asked Edith to marry him and he went to Germany to get a divorce. That's where everything fell apart because he died there. Don't forget that Edith had been left at the altar by Strallon and, well, she probably thought her chances at love again were minuscule to zero.
  • She "abandoned" her child under extreme pressure from her grandmother and aunt. There was supposed to be NO WAY she could keep the child in that society. Once done, it probably would have been best for the child to leave here where she was, but it wasn't really a decision she bought into in the first hand.
  • SHE did not evict the tenant, nor did Robert. However, the tenant had little choice but the move after his wife KIDNAPPED Marigold. I don't care about how broken-hearted she may have been over it, the wife was mentally unstable when it came to Marigold. I agree, that Edith's actions contributed directly to this, but at the end of the day we are each responsible for our own actions.
  • See, my previous post - I think Edith would have told him. But he ASSUMED a yes when she said she loved him. And he announced the engagement even when Edith said that "now is not a good time" to do so.
combat wombat™
AG
quote:
quote:

It aired a long time ago in the UK!
I know.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
No Spoilers!!!!...not now please.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
quote:
No Spoilers!!!!...not now please.
The Whitewalkers kill them all ( except Edith) and put their skinned heads in the Hall of Faces
combat wombat™
AG
I won't spoil anything. PROMISE.
Always_Right
AG
This past episode felt rushed to me, like Julian Fellowes was trying to get a bunch of stuff in before the finale. I always feel like the ending of a show you love is like losing a good friend, Sunday is going to suck.
All my hope is in Jesus, thank God my yesterday's gone.
aglaohfour
AG
CW nailed it. The only truly nasty thing Edith has done to Mary was back in season 1 when she gossiped about the Pamook incident. That obviously didn't hurt Mary or her reputation that much because she still went on to marry Matthew. But this is the second time Mary has purposely tried to ruin Edith's entire life - first when she interfered with Strallon and that resulted in him not proposing when he originally intended to. And now this with Bertie. All out of pure spite and hatefulness when Edith has reached out to her to try to smooth their relationship over a few times over the years. It's vile and I DO feel so bad for Edith.
StringerBell
AG
I STAND BY MY #FREEEDITH HASHTAG
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
This past episode felt rushed to me, like Julian Fellowes was trying to get a bunch of stuff in before the finale. I always feel like the ending of a show you love is like losing a good friend, Sunday is going to suck.

Actually the finale is not Sunday. They are waiting 2 weeks between that last episode and the finale. Not sure why.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
I STAND BY MY #FREEEDITH HASHTAG

Except I really don't care about Edith. I cared about Mary but they were making that very hard to do this season. Mary and Granny and somewhat the Earl are about the only family characters I care about, not because they are nice because they are interesting. I care a heck of a lot more about most of the staff than the family.
StringerBell
AG
The staff have definitely been more compelling. Seems like the family have all become a bit one dimensional
Always_Right
AG
quote:
quote:

Actually the finale is not Sunday. They are waiting 2 weeks between that last episode and the finale. Not sure why.
Thanks for the heads up.
Wildcat
AG
quote:
The only truly nasty thing Edith has done to Mary was back in season 1 when she gossiped about the Pamook incident. That obviously didn't hurt Mary or her reputation that much because she still went on to marry Matthew.

Yes, but it did set into motion the entire Bates murder trial, which seemed to go on for 7 of the 6 seasons of the program.

And I'm not sure I'm getting the love for "poor old Edith".

She chases the old man for lack of a better suitor. Mary does spoil it the first time, but that was revenge. I won't say Edith earned it, but she did do her best to ruin her sister's reputation. It takes the nasty newspaper man to save it.

She later shacks-up with the Gregson character and has an illegitimate child. He gets himself killed in Germany and leaves her everything he owns? She inherits a fully-decorated kick-ass flat in London and a personal business (this is how you know you are watching fiction).

So on the heels of all of this, she is portrayed as an up and coming business woman who is blazing trails in a new time when women take-on new roles in society. Are you kidding? She slept her way into that position and was handed a successful business and a place to live in London on the death of the man who built it all.

After destroying the lives of a long-time tenet and his wife with her scheme to conceal her illegitimate child, she manages to find a man of seemingly low station to fall for her. And then, magically, another untimely death elevates her new man to the rank of marquess, complete with his own castle? Every time some character dies off-screen, Edith is suddenly in the position to inherit a fortune.

combat wombat™
AG
quote:
quote:
The only truly nasty thing Edith has done to Mary was back in season 1 when she gossiped about the Pamook incident. That obviously didn't hurt Mary or her reputation that much because she still went on to marry Matthew.

Yes, but it did set into motion the entire Bates murder trial, which seemed to go on for 7 of the 6 seasons of the program.

And I'm not sure I'm getting the love for "poor old Edith".

She chases the old man for lack of a better suitor. Mary does spoil it the first time, but that was revenge. I won't say Edith earned it, but she did do her best to ruin her sister's reputation. It takes the nasty newspaper man to save it.

She later shacks-up with the Gregson character and has an illegitimate child. He gets himself killed in Germany and leaves her everything he owns? She inherits a fully-decorated kick-ass flat in London and a personal business (this is how you know you are watching fiction).

So on the heels of all of this, she is portrayed as an up and coming business woman who is blazing trails in a new time when women take-on new roles in society. Are you kidding? She slept her way into that position and was handed a successful business and a place to live in London on the death of the man who built it all.

After destroying the lives of a long-time tenet and his wife with her scheme to conceal her illegitimate child, she manages to find a man of seemingly low station to fall for her. And then, magically, another untimely death elevates her new man to the rank of marquess, complete with his own castle? Every time some character dies off-screen, Edith is suddenly in the position to inherit a fortune.

haters gone hate.
StringerBell
AG
rhoswen
AG
I would love to have an animated gif of Mary's jaw dropping when she finds out about Edith and whatshisface becoming Marquess. It was perfect.
Wildcat
AG
quote:
haters gone hate.

And let's not forget Old Man Swire, who upon his death left his fortune to Matthew who uses it to bail out Robert's failed investment scheme that would have otherwise cost them the Downton. Then he dies and Mary sits on the fortune of the father of the woman who would have married Mathew were it not for Mary stealing him away downstairs as she succumbed to Spanish flu upstairs.

These sisters have burned through more men and more fortunes than all high priced call girls in Manhattan combined.
combat wombat™
AG
Who on earth wants to watch a freaking reality show about how things really were? PFT!
MW03
AG
Time to stop screwing around. Rank em.

(1) Violet the Dowager. Czar of One Liners. Held the top spot since her first second on the screen. Rare wire to wire win.
(2) Tom Branson the Benefactor. Ascends to the #2 spot for calling out Mary. Plus he was awesome early on in the series.
(3) Robert the Earl of Oldtimes. Probably the best character in terms of growth. Has come 180deg over the course of the show from resisting change to modern man.
(4) Cora the Crooked Head. Pretty milktoast. But, I don't hate her. Unlike...
(5) Comrade...er...Cousin Isobel. I can't even with this lady. She's miserable, except when she's interacting with the Dowager.
(6) Mary the Terrible. Man. She's the godzilla of the house, basically tormenting everyone that she doesn't want to bang. Ascends here because of her relationship with Carson, which is charming.
(7) Edith the Uggo. I feel bad for her, but that's because I pity here. And being pitiful is not an admirable trait in the slightest. At least she finally punched Mary in the nose.
Always_Right
AG
Well I couldn't wait until Sunday for the finale so I bought in from Amazon and watched it this morning on my flight to Denver. No spoilers but I was happy with the way Fellowes ended things, I think it brought some closure to many story lines and gave you enough to wonder what the future would hold for all. This was one of my favorite shows, sad to see it end.
All my hope is in Jesus, thank God my yesterday's gone.
combat wombat™
AG
Gasp, I didn't think about doing that. Amazon? I'd pay $2.99 to watch the episode. (I saw the season 6 episodes were $2.99 just last night.)
agracer
AG
quote:
quote:
Okay, I'm going to address this.

I also forgot about the Edith who tried to hook up with the Farmer during the war and the wife had to put a stop to it....yeah, Edith has a history of sleeping with married men.

And the Drew's wife did not "kidnap" Marigold since she took the child to the place most likely for EVERYONE to find her and the child (also, did not take across state lines ) ...she had obviously formed a strong bond with the child and Edith ripped it out of her hands. I can't imagine having my son when he was 2 ripped from my hands and be expected to act normal.
MAROON
AG
The final episode was perfect.
Vernada
AG
quote:
The final episode was perfect.
Gateman
AG
PBS: we gave you a happy ending, now give us your money.
MW03
AG
Hokey in all the right ways. Great series given an appropriate finale.
Vernada
AG
quote:
PBS: we gave you a happy ending, now give us your money.

PBS: Noooooooo!!!
combat wombat™
AG
So, in previous posts I predicted the following, apparently correctly:

• Daisy would end up with Andy
  • Mrs Patmore would end up with Mr Mason
  • Molesly would end up teaching
  • Carson would retire and Barrow would step into his shoes

Turns out that either I'm psychic or, more likely, these writers are terribly predictable.
The Collective
AG
Yea, it worked for this particular show, but I rolled my eyes about 6 times last night.
Wildcat
AG
It was a bit predictable, but it gave viewers what they pretty much wanted. They even hinted at a soft landing spot for Tom...the used car salesman.

The only thing that really tickled me last night was the outing of Sprat. The Danker character was such a bity and to see her attempts to undermine Sprat undone by the old bat's laughter was too funny.

Mrs Wildcat and I will miss it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.