*****Downton Abbey Final Season*****

21,650 Views | 157 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by easttexasaggie04
Tyrone_The_Tuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Starts in 2 minutes!!
Pignorant
AG
Good start so far!
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
As much as I want to believe I don't think the Anna and Mr. Bates saga ended with this episode
AliasMan02
AG
Great as usual. No drama has ever been so consistent in its quality.
'03ag
quote:
As much as I want to believe I don't think the Anna and Mr. Bates saga ended with this episode
i think it'll be replaced with a bunch of Anna crying about not being able to gives Bates a baby. And then Bates saying it's ok. And then Anna not believing him.
The Collective
AG
quote:

I've been praying for this storyline to go away for some time. I doubt it is over though.
FL_Ag1998
AG
That is my one complaint...enough with that particular storyline for Anna and Mr. Bates.
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
quote:
quote:

I've been praying for this storyline to go away for some time. I doubt it is over though.
combat wombat™
AG
With all the "unwanted" kids out there you'd think finding one to adopt would be pretty simply. Anna needs to stop the pity party.

I want to see Edith punch Mary in the face just once.

Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
Does Violet die off?? I read an article where Maggie Smith said the show needed to end now, because there wasn't anywhere else for her character to go in the developing world.
Counterpoint
AG
quote:
Does Violet die off?? I read an article where Maggie Smith said the show needed to end now, because there wasn't anywhere else for her character to go in the developing world.
This is the final season!
Joan Wilder
AG
Anna and Bates started as a lovely story in season 1 and has been unbearable ever since. I have to fast forward through their scenes.
OldArmy71
AG
As much as I enjoy this sort of show--very British, impeccably acted, stylishly done--the writing has not been good in several years. The plot is going in slow circles, covering the same territory over and over and over again.

It is still worth it to see Carson and the cook try to talk about sex.
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
quote:
quote:
This is the final season!

I know, but do you think they kill her off??
combat wombat™
AG
Branson's back!!
TampaBayAg08
AG
Is it Violet that will die or Robert? Him complaining about "indigestion" to Carson was very suspicious... And I doubt they'd have that seemingly random scene in there for fun.

Cora's performance tonight was brilliant. She was so incredibly demeaning in both the drawing room with Mrs. Hughes and about the whole coat (I actually cringed that entire scene when Cora walked in on them).

Great episode all around... Just can't understand where the hospital storyline is going.
agracer
AG
Wife and I watched all 5 seasons on Amazon over the holidays. We both really like the show.

I have to say Edith is my least favorite character because of her baby. First, she gives it to a Swiss family, then goes and takes it back only to give it too a local family and then TAKE IT FROM THEM and she acts surprised when the mother, who bonded with the child, does not want to give it up. REALLY.....IMO Edith should go an the Drewe's should stay.

And watching them all so close together Violet has the best lines in the show!
'03ag
Daisy is quickly replacing Edith as my least favorite character this season. So dumb.
Joan Wilder
AG
Agracer, you forgot to add that they then EVICTED the drews. That was despicable and just sort of glossed over. Edith is a ninny.

I laughed at the notion of Edith running a magazine - can no screenwriter come up with a different profession for a single woman in a city than "works at a magazine?" -no matter the decade, that's the go-to trope.

I love how Branson comes back in the middle of the wedding reception. Mrs Hughes had to be thinking "how many ways can these people steal my thunder?!"

Are they hinting at a Branson-Mary romance? I really hope not.
combat wombat™
AG
quote:
I laughed at the notion of Edith running a magazine - can no screenwriter come up with a different profession for a single woman in a city than "works at a magazine?" -no matter the decade, that's the go-to trope.

Keep in mind that Edith met baby-daddy because she wrote a letter to the editor. It was HIS magazine, wasn't it? When he died, she inherited it. There was no other way a Lady would have found herself in company with, and eventually in an affair with, a man in his station in life.

Oh, and they are really showing Daisy as a ninny with not one ounce of self-control. She had to have understood the system.
Joan Wilder
AG
I remember how she ended up with the magazine. It's just funny to me that she's doing the same generic magazine job that any lazy rom-com lead would have now.
OldArmy71
AG

quote:
Are they hinting at a Branson-Mary romance? I really hope not.

Good comment. I am afraid they ARE suggesting that. The two grew chummy while acting as co-agents, then the sappy letter from America. Not a fan of that development if that's the way the writers take it. The whole Sibyl-driver romance was unbelievable the first time, much less the second time around.
Vernada
AG
First thing I said when Branson showed: oh, so we're getting TWO weddings this season.
aglaohfour
AG
Ah, Mary and Tom a couple? Please, no! I really love them as good friends, but it would just seem so wrong for him to be with Mary. But then again, we are three episodes in and no one else is on the scene for either of them. Surely the series wouldn't conclude with them both remaining alone?
MAROON
AG
quote:
Is it Violet that will die or Robert? Him complaining about "indigestion" to Carson was very suspicious... And I doubt they'd have that seemingly random scene in there for fun.

Just can't understand where the hospital storyline is going.
I suspect Robert comes down with a life threatening illness/condition and the decision that was made regarding the hospital will either save him or result in his death.

Remember he brought in an outside doctor that resulted in Sybil dying - it would be fitting if Dr. Clarkson saved his life...or they boot Clarkson and the new doctor fails to save him.
Joan Wilder
AG
Good call, Maroon. I bet that's where they're heading - that "indigestion" comment was too obvious not to be foreshadowing, and this hospital fight is dragging on longer than the usual Isobel/Violet squabbles.

Mary is such a snob, I can't see her ending up with Branson. But this show doesn't necessarily make its characters' motivations consistent.
powerbelly
AG

quote:
Surely the series wouldn't conclude with them both remaining alone?
I hope they do end up alone. Not everything needs to be wrapped up with a nice little bow.
combat wombat™
AG
quote:
Mary is such a snob, I can't see her ending up with Branson. But this show doesn't necessarily make its characters' motivations consistent.

She is. But she overcame that snobbery with her first husband, because she learned to see him as a person and they shared a common goal - making Downton Abby work.

What's not to say that she wouldn't do the same with Tom? She's deigned to come off of her pedestal to manage the estate. Tom's a good manager, and they'd make a good team. Working closely with him could lead to more than respect. They've both lost someone they loved - an each was close to the other's spouse; they each also have a child without a mother/father. It wouldn't be the strangest thing that ever happened for them to forge a relationship that grows into something.

Joan Wilder
AG
Matthew was also heir to Downton...it wasn't such a leap off her pedestal to marry him.

She has grown somewhat, and her world view has allowed her to have sex out of wedlock several times. It just seems too tidy to have her and Branson end up together. Which means Fellowes might just do it.
combat wombat™
AG
quote:
Matthew was also heir to Downton...it wasn't such a leap off her pedestal to marry him.

She has grown somewhat, and her world view has allowed her to have sex out of wedlock several times. It just seems too tidy to have her and Branson end up together. Which means Fellowes might just do it.
True, he was heir to Downton.

And she was so offended when Cora initially suggested she might consider him. "He can't even use a fork like a gentleman."
OldArmy71
AG

quote:
I suspect Robert comes down with a life threatening illness/condition and the decision that was made regarding the hospital will either save him or result in his death.
Wow, this is an excellent guess.
OldArmy71
AG
I'm glad to see Lady Mary entertaining a different love interest, though he may be a mercenary sort. Not sure of his intentions.

The scene in which Gwen--resurrected from Game of Thrones--tells about how Sibyl helped and encouraged her was very moving.

Daisy is just annoying.
2ndGen87
AG
This season seems dull to me. I miss Jessica Findlay.

The mom and Lady Mary went to the one note acting school. The mom is such a bad actress. Let's see, it's a scene where I talk, I think I will lower my head, raise my eyebrow and say my line in a monotone.

Lady Mary plays the female dog role too well in every family scene. I would stab her with a fork.

Quad Dog
AG
Why would Mary have any interest a man that races cars? Did the writers forget how her husband died?
'03ag
quote:
Why would Mary have any interest a man that races cars? Did the writers forget how her husband died?
yeah I don't get this. Especially since racing accidents were pretty much 100% fatal back then. And I hope that teaser scene they showed isn't supposed to be Brooklands, because if so that's a major fail.

In those days racing was for the wealthy I believe, so at least that makes sense.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.