***Dunkirk***

109,655 Views | 830 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 42799862
MrPlow2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They could tell that he had been through enough already and was gonna be messed up in the head with everything he had seen. They didn't want to add George's death on top of it.

Yes, I'm pretty sure the French guy didn't make it out. He just wanted to survive and even went back and saved the British guys on the big ship but was left behind.
heddleston
AG
I walked out telling my buddy that it's almost a cardio workout because of how intense it is. He looked down at his Garmin watch and saw that his HR had hit 117 during the movie, so it was pretty close!
oragator
Saw it tonight (got to see it at the IMAX at Air and Space in VA which is kinda unique) and was underwhelmed. Battle scenes were really good, but in the end that's just about all it was - just so much missing from it. Very little context for American audiences, they didn't even give the year it happened I don't think.
Basically you have an entire movie about how hard it is to get people out of Dunkirk, and at the end 30 or 40 fishing/leisure boats show up, the admiral says we got 300k off and everyone is happy. No destroyers in the harbor other than the one who had been sunk which is how they mostly escaped. Little on the 9 days it took either. Nothing on the missteps of the Germans, other than the quote about the tanks. Nothing on Belgium surrendering while all this was going on, putting even more pressure on them. The biggest thing for me though is that the French fought tooth and nail to hold the perimeter to let the British escape, many of whom got captured for their heroism. Their contribution to the movie is a guy who the British want to shoot and who dies an inglorious death while our heroes all live. And worse, the admiral makes it sound like he will be the French savior. Tom Hardy is shooting down a plane every five minutes (and yes it's often the same one).
And it used the same style as interstellar, and the same overbearing sound in some scenes -missed some dialogue. And I will never quite understand what the point was of having the kid plot line.

PlanoAggie
AG
I totally agree with you oragator.
This movie was missing way to much. I just couldn't get into and I had zero emotion for any of the characters. Movie was blah. Waste of my time and money.
Counterpoint
AG
Saw this at the Lincoln Square 70mm IMAX in NYC. WOW. Amazing movie.

The only new thing I have to add to this discussion is that the ticket takers here tell everyone how long the previews are when they take your tickets. I really like that!
_lefraud_
AG
Agreed.

Maybe Nolan should take the approach as Eastwood, and next make a film about Dunkirk from the French perspective, and then another film from the German side.
MooreTrucker
AG
TCTTS said:

Man, reading all the explanations and analysis of how Nolan handles the three different timelines gets me so fired up. That maybe my favorite thing about his movies - the way he uses/bends time narratively, and it sounds so amazing here.
Finally got to see it last night. That timeline shifting stuff had me completely messed up at first. It's day, then it's night, then it's day, and yet it all seems to be happening at the same time. It eventually sorted itself out in my head, but it was really wild. An amazing movie!

And like was said many times, no real star power, and yet it didn't matter at all. Everyone involved was great! Didn't even know it was Tom Hardy until he's on the beach at the end. I recognized Mark Rylance as having seen him before but I couldn't tell you his name. Cillian Murphy I recognized from the Batman movie. And Kenneth Branagh, of course.

MooreTrucker
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

He was the pretty boy Scot who gave the frog a hard time and was on the train at the end. If you didn't know he was famous, you wouldn't have known he was famous.
No, he was Rylance's son, Alex.

(Sorry if this was already addressed. I'm just now reading the thread).
MooreTrucker
AG
Quote:

This movie was missing way to much. I just couldn't get into and I had zero emotion for any of the characters. Movie was blah. Waste of my time and money.

I really feel sorry for those of you that didn't like/understand it. You missed a great film,
HumbleAg04
AG
The cinematography, sound, music, time jumps, all of it was amazing and really amped up the anxiety. I loved it.

schmendeler
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

He was the pretty boy Scot who gave the frog a hard time and was on the train at the end. If you didn't know he was famous, you wouldn't have known he was famous.

harry styles was definitely not one of the two boys on the boat with rylance at the beginning.
MooreTrucker
AG
schmendeler said:

MooreTrucker said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

harry styles was definitely not one of the two boys on the boat with rylance at the beginning.
You're right, my mistake. He was the guy that was with the main young soldier, sitting with him on the train when he read the Churchill speech, the one that accused the french guy of being a spy.
TresPuertas
AG
Ok. So I'm late to the party. Really late but I'll say this. I'm really middle of the road about this movie. I neither LOVED it or hated it. I liked it, but it wasn't by any means perfect. I actually had a couple of issues that I didn't see mentioned here that took away from the movie.

1. The George storyline kind of bugged me because him falling and bumping his head and then dying was a bit far fetched. Now, if this really is based in reality I'll most certainly come back here and admit I'm wrong but him falling down and then dying was just a bit silly. I was fine when he said he was blind but him dying seemed to go a little too far. It made me roll my eyes a bit. I understand why Nolan did it but him dying was just a step too far.

2. I also understand that the central theme of the movie was survival and to a point, desperation, but at times i couldn't shake the feeling that it was presented as cowardice. Hardy was the obvious exception to this, but not once did we see much of bravery or commitment to duty by any of the other soldiers. I may not be describing it well enough but I didn't really think he painted the soldiers on the beach in a good light. Maybe just a little too negatively.

Other than that I thought the technical aspects of the movie were great. The score and cinematography were near perfect

For me it was about a 7.5/10.
PatAg
AG
He fell downstairs and hit his head on metal piping
Perhaps you aren't familiar with how the human body works?
TresPuertas
AG
I understand that. I just felt like the whole scenario was a bit unlikely.
israeliag
AG
TresPuertas said:

1. The George storyline kind of bugged me because him falling and bumping his head and then dying was a bit far fetched. Now, if this really is based in reality I'll most certainly come back here and admit I'm wrong but him falling down and then dying was just a bit silly. I was fine when he said he was blind but him dying seemed to go a little too far. It made me roll my eyes a bit. I understand why Nolan did it but him dying was just a step too far.

2. I also understand that the central theme of the movie was survival and to a point, desperation, but at times i couldn't shake the feeling that it was presented as cowardice. Hardy was the obvious exception to this, but not once did we see much of bravery or commitment to duty by any of the other soldiers. I may not be describing it well enough but I didn't really think he painted the soldiers on the beach in a good light. Maybe just a little too negatively.
1. That was also necessary to get the tension and dynamic between the father and Cillian Murphy. There's a lot to take unpack from just those two's relationship.

2. That was my point of view of the whole Dunkirk episode in WWII before even knowing about this movie. This was Britain ceding Europe to the Nazis and giving them unchecked free rein of the continent for the next four years. Regardless of how plausible it may have been to stay and fight (and die), there's tremendous shame in that retreat. Not to mention the consequences. The troops would feel completely demoralized in such an event. So, your feelings are justified, IMO, and an example of this movie working.
wangus12
AG
As a former paramedic, you be shocked by how easy it is to people to die from simple blows to the head
double aught
AG
Finally saw it tonight. Great film. It's got my vote for Best Picture.
Drawkcab
About to pick this up from Redbox right now and just happened to run across this thread.
Drawkcab
I need to rewatch it with an adjusted mind frame. I didn't get that "One day" meant those events occurred over one day. I was expecting a completely linear timeline and thought it was weird it said "One day" instead of "Day one" to be followed later by "Day two", "Day three", ...

I was petty confused until I caught on and didn't really care for it all. Thought the score was jarring and unnecessary.

I'll give it another shot sometime.
israeliag
AG
Every time this thread gets bumped I think there's a new new Christopher Nolan film.
OldArmy71
AG
Dunkirk has been showing on HBO and I've rewatched it twice. It really is an excellent movie.
Ulrich
I'm watching this for the first time and extremely underwhelmed so far.

The musical cues are way too over the top. I don't know much about music, but they are over using the thing where the pitch gets higher and the tempo gets faster, plus it's too loud compared to what's actually going on. They've also done the ticking stopwatch three times already. It's like Hans Zimmer is shouting "BE NERVOUS" right in my face and it's taking me out of the movie.

When they aren't doing Suspense Music, it's sort of atonal which is plain annoying. This movie is like Zimmer is doing a caricature of his normal style.

Music is really important to making a good movie, but a little subtlety would be nice. I've never turned a movie off because of the music, but this one is testing me.
Ulrich
Another stopwatch. This is the most annoying score I've ever heard. Going to mute with subtitles.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.