***Dunkirk***

110,159 Views | 830 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 42799862
ja86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
they discuss the mole when the hospital ship docked to it is hit and starts to sink. Kenneth Branagh's character is yelling for them to push it away and states they are fooked if it sinks next to the mole and blocks it.

I already knew what a mole was, but I thought that was a pretty good clue for those that didn't.
Sazerac
AG
that was what, at least half way through the film?

I'm just saying, when "1. the mole" came up in the first 5 minutes, my mind went in that direction...especially when they immediately showed a mysterious guy burying and putting on the clothes of a British soldier.

plus, I was a big fan of The Mole reality show on CBS like 15 years ago.
DG-Ag
AG
ja86 said:

they discuss the mole when the hospital ship docked to it is hit and starts to sink. Kenneth Branagh's character is yelling for them to push it away and states they are fooked if it sinks next to the mole and blocks it.

I already knew what a mole was, but I thought that was a pretty good clue for those that didn't.
Well, maybe the sound in my theatre was bad. I couldn't understand 75% of the dialogue it seemed. If my wife and I had been watching at home we would've constantly been asking other "what did he say?"
FL_Ag1998
AG
Some of you aren't grasping that the dialogue was somewhat unintelligible for many people watching it. It's not that those people weren't paying attention, or weren't smart enough to grasp that the mole was the docking structure. Its simply a matter of not being able to decipher the actual words being garbled out in a foreign dialect over the constant soundtrack.

But congrats to those of you who could understand it.
OldArmy71
AG
I had read enough reviews to know what a mole was--I had never heard the word in that context--but I can certainly understand why it might have been confusing to those who went in to the movie without reading some reviews.
M.C. Swag
AG
I grasped it the first time. I'm just saying, I read 0 reviews about the movie, had no clue what "The Mole" was at the opening title, but was able to clearly understand the dialogue because my movie theatre doesn't suck. Bottom line, the Mole was the pier as it was stated in the dialogue multiple times.
lostrg
He can suck it.
Sazerac
AG
i'd like to see a script to see when it's mentioned...but either way I never picked up on it til the post today.
Joan Wilder
AG
I've watched dozens of WWII movies and how they built the mulberries and harbor at normandy, and I'd never heard the word "mole"

Once Branagh used it in context I thought "oh I guess that's the dock/harbor" but I went that first 20min or so assuming that one of the interchangeable, nameless guys on the beach was a mole. It was unnecessarily confusing in a movie that was already a bit confusing with the timelines.
WestAustinAg
AG
Clarke95 said:

I've watched dozens of WWII movies and how they built the mulberries and harbor at normandy, and I'd never heard the word "mole"

Once Branagh used it in context I thought "oh I guess that's the dock/harbor" but I went that first 20min or so assuming that one of the interchangeable, nameless guys on the beach was a mole. It was unnecessarily confusing in a movie that was already a bit confusing with the timelines.
Agree...
AliasMan02
AG
Nolan doesn't explain things.

Fwiw, I engineer marine facilities for a living and didn't know that word until I got it from Branaugh in the movie. The superintendent I asked had never heard that term either. Must be British.
M.C. Swag
AG
Wasn't bragging. Just frustrated over the condescension expressed by Fl_Ag and the debate of this inane topic which was directly stated in the movie.
M.C. Swag
AG
I googled the term and it's apparently French in origin. Which makes sense given the locale.
Belton Ag
AG
I thought it literally meant there was a Mole (the animal) on the beach. I was expecting to see an animated, dancing Mole overlaid onto the film a la Roger Rabbit,
schmendeler
AG
Belton Ag said:

I thought it literally meant there was a Mole (the animal) on the beach. I was expecting to see an animated, dancing Mole overlaid onto the film a la Roger Rabbit,
the only logical conclusion.
DG-Ag
AG
schmendeler said:

if you see:

The Mole - a bunch of men on a beach
The Sea - a man loading up his boat
The Air - a fighter pilot zooming around in the sky

what do context clues tell you the "mole" likely is?

it's not as if you saw:

The Mole
The Boat Captain
The Pilot

use some thinking here.
I guess every brain works a little differently, but these are the associations I made.

Mole==>men =>one of the men on the beach was a mole/spy for the Germans. May not make sense to others, but that's how I saw it. And my difficulty hearing/understanding much of the dialogue made me miss subsequent explanations.
WestAustinAg
AG
schmendeler said:

if you see:

The Mole - a bunch of men on a beach
The Sea - a man loading up his boat
The Air - a fighter pilot zooming around in the sky

what do context clues tell you the "mole" likely is?

it's not as if you saw:

The Mole
The Boat Captain
The Pilot

use some thinking here.
A thinking man would see the word "mole" and believe that it means;

Quote:

mole: a spy who achieves over a long period an important position within the security defenses of a country.
It was a movie about war after all. Anything else would be nonsensical. And on screen we immediately moved to individuals on the beach. So it's quite logical to think we were going to see a solder who was working on behalf of the enemy.
Professor Frick
AG
All kidding aside, this actually the case. I was one of the lucky few to get to see a screening of the director's cut in 75mm. In that extra 5mm at the edge of the screen (which is how that works) there were abuelitas sitting on the beach working their molcajetes. They of course were in a complete different timeline but y'all probably wouldn't understand.
wesag
AG
I like how things aren't explained.
WestAustinAg
AG
Me too. It was a great movie. I just think it's perfectly reasonable for someone to see the word 'mole' and think 'spy'.
PatAg
AG
DG-Ag said:

AliasMan02 said:

A mole is a stone breakwater with a pier built on top.
Interesting. Had no clue what they were talking about when that appeared on the screen.
Yea, when it flashed the words on teh screen, I knew we were talking about the beach scene, but not sure what a mole itself was. Then about 5 minutes later they literally talk about the mole being the pier.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Just saw the movie.

Not gonna trust any criticism or suggestion from any of y'all who didn't like this movie.

That one article that hated Dunkirk for 'maleness?' Get out. You have no taste and I'm guessing can't think further back in time than your own lifetime. You also can only see things in a ****ty lens.

The one dude who was pissed at no character development and thought it ruined the movie? Don't know what to say to you or those that agree with you, but Dunkirk wasn't stale or mindless.

For the person who complained about having no set up for the start? There's an on the screen caption that spells out the scene for you. I didn't realize how bad a complaint this was until I saw the movie.

Just my 2 cents (more like dollars).
Ag by Vows
Also just saw it and loved it. Felt like I was holding my breath the whole time.

The limited dialogue was especially effective for me, as it made the "event" the story, instead of a particular character.

The "soundtrack" really made it all work.
AliasMan02
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

That one article that hated Dunkirk for 'maleness?' Get out. You have no taste and I'm guessing can't think further back in time than your own lifetime. You also can only see things in a ****ty lens.

Posting that article and suggesting her stance would bring down feminism led to about 400 comments on my Facebook.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Care to share some of the juicier ones?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Really enjoyed it. I liked jumping in. I didn't need to know everyone (or anyone's) names. LOVED the use of Churchill at the end. Loved it.

I have 1 little nitpick that is no big deal - the turn and shoot-down at the end while gliding was a stretch. Seemed to involve one more twist that I didn't think was necessary. I really liked the glide, but he was a hero already in my book and that added step of the shootdown (after turning back) seemed a little hollywood.
wesag
AG
Yep. It was not needed.
OldArmy71
AG
Interesting side note: I just watched a film on HBO On Demand called "Finest Hour," which is a movie about British filmmakers trying to make an inspirational movie about Dunkirk. It's a dark comedy; the only person in it I recognized was Bill Nighy, who was excellent. It's a pretty good little movie.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Friends of mine just saw it on my recommendation and all hated it/were underwhelmed. Maybe we saw different movies!

Quote:

It had intense scenes, but it also had some things that seemed out of place. Like that little kid dying. Tom Hardy getting captured by Germans. The other pilot going down with his plane and not ejecting

Quote:

So lame & boring. Too long. Too many characters. Too many irrelevant characters

Quote:

Why didn't he "eject" where all his countrymen were evacuating? Choosing instead to just cruise on into enemy territory

They had some of the same gripes as others on this thread. Not sure what to say!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Ejection complaints are just morons revealing themselves. I'd encourage anyone that thinks this is a better option than a plane that could be landed or ditched to go jump off a high bridge and let us know how it works out for them. That said, the kid hit his head story was a little odd.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yes I responded with,

"Or he could've tried jumping with a chute from 200 feet.
Splat!"
The D
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Really enjoyed it. I liked jumping in. I didn't need to know everyone (or anyone's) names. LOVED the use of Churchill at the end. Loved it.

I have 1 little nitpick that is no big deal - the turn and shoot-down at the end while gliding was a stretch. Seemed to involve one more twist that I didn't think was necessary. I really liked the glide, but he was a hero already in my book and that added step of the shootdown (after turning back) seemed a little hollywood.

About that scene. Did we determine when he shot down the plane it happened before he made the turn to land ? It appeared as though he went past there, then turned it around while gliding and shot the plane down. With all the time cuts I'm almost thinking he did that before.
AliasMan02
AG
He turned and shot it down while gliding. Movie magic for sure.
H6RBW
AG
Just saw it tonight.

Really enjoyed it, but have a couple questions I didn't see discussed in the last 9 pages of the thread:

1. Near the end, the boat owner and his son just let Cillian Murphy walk away. Don't try to tell anyone "Oh, by the way, he killed a kid on our boat." Why?

2. The disguised French soldier - is he who drowned in the boat they were all hiding in while waiting for the tide? I thought so at first, but right after that, I'd swear there was a shot of him standing on the beach, looking out at the sea, and then turning to walk back toward town. That really confused me and I'm thinking of going to see it again just to try and figure out what it was I saw.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.