Independence Day Resurgence

35,258 Views | 298 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by West Point Aggie
scoodogg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It was so bad. The most entertaining part was the hour after when my son and I laughed and retold the really bad parts to each other.
VanZandt92
Theyll make more crap like this. Because you guys will go, no matter what.
ashleyschaeffer
Movie was Charles Barkley Turrible.

Best acting in the movie was done by Commander Data.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Ummmm no. the movie has tanked.

Only $99 million so far and falling fast. Never was #1. Now out of the top 10.

DannyDuberstein
AG
International box office is huge though. This thing is still hugely profitable.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:

Normally I'd agree, but this has made $342 million worldwide. I think there is a chance this will end up a trilogy (and please let it die there).
DannyDuberstein
AG
The issue is that this one was such a turdball that you have to expect the next to be a domestic disaster. But international audiences will clearly accept some garbage. So it still may get done.
bobinator
AG
quote:
Movie was Charles Barkley Turrible.

Best acting in the movie was done by Commander Data.

Ha, I thought the same thing. Data was the only person who was interesting.

I don't understand how that movie was that bad. There had to have been some serious yes men around for that production.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
It's doing better than Ghostbusters right?
Phat32
AG
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
It's doing better than Ghostbusters right?
Uhhhh.....NO.

3 weeks in Ghostbusters is at $111 million was never #1.

The TOTAL for ID:R is $102 million after 7 weeks was also never #1.

Thats domestic.

Worldwide ID:R is better at $372M to $163M for Ghostbusters.

Both are really box office busts. Given production budgets in the $150-$165 million range and distribution costs of another $75-$100 million (low end) they needed to make $450-$500 million or more to break even.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Normally I'd agree, but this has made $342 million worldwide. I think there is a chance this will end up a trilogy (and please let it die there).

thats not profitable with distribution costs and their take from box office.

Would have to hit $500+ to break even. I doubt it happens now - unless they can convince Will Smith to return for the finale.
double aught
AG
quote:
Both are really box office busts. Given production budgets in the $150-$165 million range and distribution costs of another $75-$100 million (low end) they needed to make $450-$500 million or more to break even.

How does that math work?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

How does that math work?
the theaters keep roughly 50% of what a movie makes at the box office - thats a very average number but gives you a good idea. in reality the studios get like 80-90% in the first week or 2 and then a sliding scale percentage that decreases over time - so movies with a long run mean theaters make more money over time. but it's ana average.

so if a film makes $500 million at the box office the studio that makes the movie gets like $250 million.

now the production budget was say $165 million. thats how much it cost to make the movie. then the distribution budget is what it costs to market and actually distribute the movie (what they pay the distribution company, ads, promotions, actual cost of film, shipping, etc.). the bigger the film the more distribution/marketing costs and the more screens it is on the more it costs too.

but again a rough figure is often 40-60% of the production cost in distribution/marketing.

So a movie that cost $165 million to make with production/marketing costs of say $65 million (low) really cost $230 million. If it made $370 million at the box office the studio actually got somewhere around $185 million. so it's a bust.

now there can be very complicated deals between studios and distributors and theaters, etc....even directors and stars for back end profits, etc. But its a good average. Take the production cost of big budget films add 50% for distribution/marketing and then double it - thats what it needs to make to break even.

The average film in fact for 2007 (some data I found) was $70 million budget and $35 million marketing and distribution. Costs have likely gone up but percentages are similar. That includes smaller films.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
I must say that is all before any money from DVD/BR sales and before anything from cable/PPV/streaming services and possible TV rights, etc.

But studios basically work from the formulas of what films make or don't make at the box office. They treat the after theater business as a separate thing for the most part and it's generally highly profitable - because production costs are already done. It's a way to make back some money on losers and make profits from big hits.

AliasMan02
AG
Just finished this piece of **** On Demand because the wife wanted to give it a shot out of love for the original. I tried to warn her.

Y'all have said all there is to say, but I'd add one thing. I would LOVE to see a "30 For 30" type of hour long doc piece on the making of this movie, because I bet it would be awesome. The problems with the story, the unnecessary characters, the out of place secondary storylines, the grand aspirations for a cinematic universe... these things all point to creative and development hell. I bet it would be hilarious and wildly entertaining.

That's a series that one of the independents like Amazon or Netflix needs to develop.
chipotle
This movie made my feet sad.
zgood10
AG
Whoever said they thought this movie was better than 2012 is lying. This movie is a piece of ****.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
When this movie hit HBO a couple of months or so, the wife and I DVR'd it and started watching it.

About an hour into it (when the alien attack starts) we had to pause it of to do other things.

Neither of us had any desire to start it back up, so I deleted it.
West Point Aggie
AG
I actually enjoyed it because it was SO awful!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.