Trailer for SICARIO (Emily Blunt, Benicio Del Toro, Josh Brolin)

21,554 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Malachi Constant
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

quote:
What is the release schedule for this? Is it on limited release?

All I know is NY/LA was last weekend, and that it says "wide" this weekend. That said, I just checked my hometown theaters in Wichita Falls - because if it's out there, it's out everywhere - but it's not yet there, so it's definitely not WIDE wide quite yet.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's only out in one theater in Long Island remotely near me.
TajMaballer
AG
Only in a couple theaters here in Chicago. I will definitely go tonight though!
Saxsoon
AG
Only two theaters in Seattle area, (I have been to about 18 in the area) so not wide wide release
El Mero Guero
Cannot wait to see this one...its out at both Edwards Theaters in Houston. Great to hear that review TCTTS! I knew once I saw the trailer I would like this movie a lot.
Gig-Em2003
AG
I saw the trailer for this a month or so ago - thanks to TCTTS' fall preview thread - and it's been my most anticipated upcoming film, save for that space movie.

Prisoners was a fantastic film and it sounds like the director does it again here. Can't wait.
TheCzar
AG
quote:
Some truly phenomenal sequences, tense as hell in certain spots, and beautifully shot

Completely agree with TCTTS's review
Pignorant
AG
Seeing it right now!
TCTTS
AG
Anyone else see it this weekend?
Pignorant
AG
Saw it yesterday.

Thought it was brilliant. Del Toro stole the show for me and should be right up there for Supporting Actor trophies come awards season.

Not sure if the story telling was as good as a film like Traffic (another cartel/border movie) but it was still fantastic.

The scene at the border highway was one of the most suspenseful parts of any film I can remember in a long time.
Sex Panther
AG
This movie is badass.

Could there be a more perfect director for the new Blade Runner project than Villenueve? This guy's tone and mood setting is absolutely masterful. His movies are awesome.
TCTTS
Funky Winkerbean
AG
I thought the scene with Del Torro and Blount at the end was masterful.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
I thought the scene with Del Torro and Blount at the end was masterful.

"This is a land of wolves... and you are not a wolf"
Sex Panther
AG
This movie also had one of my favorite lines of the year,

"You're asking how a clock works. For now... concentrate on the time."
Saxsoon
AG
Brilliant all around and honestly I thought the weakest link was blunt. They made her a little too passive at times and it had zero dark thirty syndrome where she isn't even in her own movie for most of the climax. But broken and del toro were amazing and the scene with the family at the end was so intense.

Agreed on the scene with del toro and blunt

And also agreed on the time quote
Tobias Funke
AG
Saw this today. Very interesting after growing up in El Paso, when we would cross the border to go shopping and buy tamales off the side of the road without thinking twice. Amazing how much it has fallen apart in 20 years.

Great movie, but glad I watched it by myself. Certainly not a feel-good
Saxsoon
AG
From El Paso as well and loved the establishing shots around the area and border highway. I thought they did a great job capturing the beauty and deadliness of the desert as well as the gorgeous sunsets
schmendeler
AG
Saw it last night and liked it a lot over all, but there were some things I thought were kind of wrong.

****** Possible/probable spoilers*******

In the opening scene it's kind of a small thing, but she goes up the the guy who tried to blast her with a shotgun and checks his pulse and doesn't kick away his weapon! And then leaves him laying there with it!

She has to be incredibly naive if she doesn't have some idea that we (the U.S.) do that kind of stuff with of the border. The cia has been doing stuff like that in central and South America for fifty years. I didn't buy the whole concept of her head swimming the whole time with inability to accept it.

What the hell did she think she was doing, pulling a gun on Benicio del Toro? That was just stupid.

And then telling Josh Brolin that she was going to go whistle blower on their whole operation? What a stupid thing to do! Clearly these guys operate outside the normal bounds, and you're going to threaten them?

Basically it comes down to her character looking kind of dumb the whole time.

******* End spoilers*******

The main thing for me when I see these kind of movies is that they honestly make the strongest (maybe unintended) case for legalization. I don't watch it and think, man these cartels are a real crisis. I think, if we would just legalized it, so much of this would be unnecessary.

That said, the incursion/extraction sequence was amazing. Overall I thought it was good. But in a movie that really could have been excellent the above things were what didn't like.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Loved this movie. Thought brolin was great. And del toro.
TXAGFAN
AG
I enjoyed the movie, but thought Blunts character was kinda all over the place. Lots of naivete and weird reactions with seemingly no explanation based on her characters development.
TexasAggies06
AG
Just saw this, really enjoyed it, although as others have pointed out I was surprised at how passive/helpless/naive Emily Blunt's character was. But, she fine so it's all good. Really loved the score too, added incredible tension in some scenes.
TexasAggies06
AG
TXAGFAN
AG
El Chupacabra
Saw it today and really liked it. The 2nd shoot out was intense. Del Toros character was straight bad ass ruthless. Loved him.
BarryProfit
I dug it
The Fall Guy
AG
Seeing it today
FancyKetchup14
AG
Saw it this weekend...what a movie! I loved every second of it. I thought it was a great thriller but do agree that Blunt's character was the weak link. But holy hell...Del Toro was spectacular.

FancyKetchup14
AG
DP
TresPuertas
AG
quote:
Saw it last night and liked it a lot over all, but there were some things I thought were kind of wrong.

****** Possible/probable spoilers*******

In the opening scene it's kind of a small thing, but she goes up the the guy who tried to blast her with a shotgun and checks his pulse and doesn't kick away his weapon! And then leaves him laying there with it!

She has to be incredibly naive if she doesn't have some idea that we (the U.S.) do that kind of stuff with of the border. The cia has been doing stuff like that in central and South America for fifty years. I didn't buy the whole concept of her head swimming the whole time with inability to accept it.

What the hell did she think she was doing, pulling a gun on Benicio del Toro? That was just stupid.

And then telling Josh Brolin that she was going to go whistle blower on their whole operation? What a stupid thing to do! Clearly these guys operate outside the normal bounds, and you're going to threaten them?

Basically it comes down to her character looking kind of dumb the whole time.

******* End spoilers*******

The main thing for me when I see these kind of movies is that they honestly make the strongest (maybe unintended) case for legalization. I don't watch it and think, man these cartels are a real crisis. I think, if we would just legalized it, so much of this would be unnecessary.

That said, the incursion/extraction sequence was amazing. Overall I thought it was good. But in a movie that really could have been excellent the above things were what didn't like.
Just picked this up last night and watched it and wanted to come see if something like this was mentioned. I'm glad it was. The movie was entertaining, beautifully shot, and the score was perfect, but there were parts that were extremely thin that took away from the overall product. Above mentions one of my main concerns, but I'll kind of expand on it and add a couple more annoyances:

1. Emily Blunt's character sucked. There is no way I can believe that a seasoned FBI agent whos been working amongst cartel activity could have: a) been so naive to think that Covert stuff wasn't happening, and b) to be dumb enough to have a problem with it and threaten to speak out against it. It was EXTREMELY obvious, and even stated to her, that these things were being authorized way up the food chain and for her to question Brolin then threaten to speak doesn't really make sense for a supposedly smart FBI agent. She would have understood why they were doing what they were doing, and if not, she would have known to shut the F up.

2. The scene where her partner takes her into the country bar and she meets the cop who eventually tries to kill her was stupid. To start, her partner takes her to some random ass place and she even asks why he brought her there. Lo and behold, she meets the cop, takes him home and almost dies.

This didn't raise any red flags with her, the supposed CIA intelligence agents, or anyone else? I attribute this to one of two things: 1. The filmmakers were just sloppy as hell with this angle (my thought), or 2. The partner really did set her up and everyone was too stupid to figure it out. It was probably just a convenient coincidence, but it was razor thin.

3. Manual Diaz crossed the border into Mexico, and then was provided no armored transport, especially after his brother has just been snatched from a prison in Juarez? Yeah.... No.

4. The scene where Blunt and the Partner were raiding the tunnels alongside Delta Operators was just silly. There is no way that happens.

As far as the movie goes, I think I'd give it a C+, because I loved Del Toro's character, the score, and cinematography, but it wasn't near as good as I was hoping it would be.
Pignorant
AG
Just now realizing this movie didn't get any major Golden Globe nominations!

Not even Del Toro?!
Bunk Moreland
Finally was able to see this. Wow. That was awesome.

Del Toro was great.

It's funny. Only one time in the entire film I began to conjure up the thought that "this scene is a bit cheesy and not needed for this kind of film" and then that bracelet hit the coffee table and the whole scene became awesome.

I don't have any issue at all with this film. It doesn't have the highest ceiling, but it tells the story perfectly.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I loved this movie. Glad you finally got to see this, Bunk. Del Toro shined whereas Blunt was "just there" at times. I loved the scene at the end where he talks to her about being in a world of wolves.
Bunk Moreland
Agreed.

That scene, plus the watch line, worked like perfect bookends to the story. Loved it

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.