Comics.

10,300 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AboveAndBeyond
AboveAndBeyond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Its making it real damn confusing though. I was looking for more prelude to Secret Wars and found a list of Fantastic Four stuff. The list started with 1-11, then 600, 12, 601, 13, 602...... My first thought was "FF #1?! From the 60's?!"
Jasomania
AG
DC looks like they are just doing some housecleaning and not resetting numbers across the board. Books that are staples like Batman, Superman, Detective Comics, Wonder Woman, etc. aren't renumbering they are going to keep going (all are at issue 41 right now).

Overall there will be 25 comics that were being released before convergence that will continue being ongoing series and not renumbered to number 1.
  • Action Comics by Greg Pak/Aaron Kuder
  • Aquaman by Cullen Bunn/Trevor McCarthy
  • Batgirl by Cameron Stewart/Brenden Fletcher/Babs Tarr
  • Batman by Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo
  • Detective Comics by Brian Buccelato/Francis Manapul
  • Batman/Superman by Greg Pak/Ardian Syaf
  • Catwoman by Genevieve Valentine/David Messina
  • Deathstroke by Tony Daniel/Tony Daniel
  • Flash by Rob Venditti/Van Jensen/Brett Booth
  • Gotham Academy by Becky Cloonan/Brenden Fletcher/Karl Kerschl
  • Gotham By Midnight by Ray ****es/Juan Ferreyra
  • Grayson by Tim King/Tim Seeley/Mikel Janin
  • Green Arrow by Ben Percy/Richard Zircher
  • Green Lantern by Robert Venditti/Billy Tan
  • Harley Quinn by Amanda Conner/Jimmy Palmiotti/Chad Hardin
  • Justice League by Geoff Johns/Jason Fabok
  • Justice League United, writer TBD/Travel Foreman & Paul Pelletier.
  • Lobo by Cullen Bunn/Cliff Richards
  • Secret Six by Gail Simone/Dale Eaglesham
  • Sinestro by Cullen Bunn/Brad Walker
  • New Suicide Squad by Sean Ryan/Carlos D'Anda
  • Superman by Gene Luen Yang/John Romita Jr.
  • Superman/Wonder Woman by Peter Tomasi/Doug Mahnke
  • Teen Titans by Will Pfeifer/Kenneth Rocafort
  • Wonder Woman by Meredith Finch/David Finch
Then there are 24 new series coming out that will all be number 1 issues. They are:
  • Robin, Son of Batman by writer/artist Pat Gleason
  • Black Canary by writer Brenden Fletcher and artist Annie Wu
  • Martian Manhunter by writer Rob Williams and artists Ben Oliver and Paulo Siqueira
  • Earth 2: Society by writer Daniel H. Wilson and artist Jorge Jimenez
  • Midnighter by writer Steve Orlando and artist ACO
  • Bat-Mite by writer Dan Jurgens and artist Corin Howell
  • Batman Beyond by writer Dan Jurgens and artist Bernard Chang
  • Cyborg by writer David L. Walker and artists Ivan Reis and Joe Prado
  • Dark Universe by writer James Tynion IV and artist Ming Doyle
  • Doomed by writer Scott Lobdell and artist Javier Fernandez
  • Harley Quinn/Power Girl by writers Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner and Justin Gray with artist Stephane Roux
  • Red Hood/Arsenal by writer Scott Lobdell and artist Denis Medri
  • Starfire by writers Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner, with artist Emanuela Lupacchino
  • We Are Robin by writer Lee Bermejo and artists Rob Haynes and Khary Randolph
  • Justice League of America by writer/artist Brian Hitch
  • Bizzaro by writer Heath Corson and artist Gustavo Duarte
  • Prez by writer Mark Russell and artist Ben Caldwell
  • Omega Men by writer Tom King and artist Barnaby Bagenda
  • Mystic U (tentative title) by writer Alisa Kwitney and artist Mauricet
  • Section Eight by writer Garth Ennis and artist John McCrea
  • Dr. Fate by writer Paul Levitz and artist Sonny Liew
  • Green Lantern: Lost Army by Cullen Bunn, art by Jesus Saiz and Javi Pina.
  • Justice League 3001 by Keith Giffen, J.M. DeMatteis and Howard Porter
  • Constantine: The Hellblazer by Ming Doyle and Riley Rossmo
This isn't the first time DC has cleaned house. They have done similar things since the launch of the New 52 back in 2011. Every 6 months to they have ended some series and added new ones in, and every couple of years they have had a large number of books end and new ones begin.

The biggest difference in this change that I can see if that they won't be calling it "the new 52" anymore, which make sense since its now 4 years old. The line of books will be called "DC You".

New number 1 issues always sell a lot and make for easy jumping on points so both companies renumber series on the regular when there are new creative teams. DC seems to have held off on this more than marvel lately and when there was sea change in creative for Batgirl and Wonder Woman continued with the numbering rather than go back to a number 1. DC has also (so far) kept to the new 52 numbering without reverting back to the old numbering for anniversary issues. Issue 19 of Detective Comics would have been issue 900 in the old numbering. They did make it a oversize anthology issue but actually resisted to renumber the issue to 900.

Anyways if you are coming back into comics the next month or two is a good time to pick up new series from DC as there are a lot of new series you can start and older series that are starting new arcs. For the continuing ongoing series most are starting their new story arcs with issue 41 (I know batman and Superman are) so they are also good places to jump in.

It's still pretty confusing and without searching through comic sites its impossible to know when a new story arc is starting. A good site to go to is http://comiclist.com They have the full schedule of comics that come out that week and the next week.
AliasMan02
AG
Gdit, they brought Damien back to life? F.

I swear, I'm gonna start a series of supers comics so that people can stay dead.
AboveAndBeyond
Bump

The new Captain Marvel came out today. Haven't read it yet though
AboveAndBeyond
They are bringing back the Sinister 6?! And I giggled at the Spider Pig in Spider Verse....
fig96
AG
Batman #41 came out Wednesday as a followup to the fantastic Endgame storyline, and it features someone new in the Batsuit. All I'll say is that it's definitely worth the read.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Batman #41 came out Wednesday as a followup to the fantastic Endgame storyline, and it features someone new in the Batsuit. All I'll say is that it's definitely worth the read.

Do you buy any of what Endgame was selling?
AboveAndBeyond
New? Like his son or whatever he was in Convergence?
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
New? Like his son or whatever he was in Convergence?

Nope. It's quite a twist, actually. It won't last but I like the idea.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:

I wasn't sure about it at first but thought they pulled it together well at the end, I am a big fan of the Snyder/Capullo team on that book. I actually want to go back and re-read to sort of take it all in again.
Jasomania
AG
quote:

I read the whole arc and honestly still don't know what happened at the end. I guess Batman's "dead"? I thought Endgame started strong but it ended really weak.

It was disappointing because Capullo and Snyder killed it on Court of the Owls and Death of the Family. I thought Zero Year was a bust and it was a weird choice to do another Joker story so soon after their first one. Snyder has been doing awesome so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but so far 1 issue in their new arc i'm pretty unimpressed
West Texan
AG
I found Batman #417-420 the other day at my local shop. It's from Jim Starlin's time writing the book in the late 80s and is the "10 nights with the beast" storyline (first appearance of KGBeast). With all the talk of who is the new Batman, I'm excited to read something from a simpler time.
Sea Pony 07
AG
Not a fan of the art-style change for redhood/arsenal.
AboveAndBeyond
I'm finishing up the Avengers/New Avengers prelude to Secret Wars......holy ****. I couldn't even imagine how crazy this was going to be before I started.
AboveAndBeyond
Reading the new Thor's #1. They have a Groot Thor Ha!

tamusc
AG
quote:
Reading the new Thor's #1. They have a Groot Thor Ha!

Just picked it up myself. There's also the Destroyer Thor.
AboveAndBeyond
Have you finished it? The twist at the end got me hooked enough for the next issue.

Also, in Squadron Sinister there's an Ironman Thor.
swimmerbabe11
So I want to read Buffy Season 8.

What is the most economical way to do this?
AliasMan02
AG
quote:

Other than stealing? There is bound to be a trade paperback with the whole thing collected.
swimmerbabe11
I thought I remembered someone saying the other day that you could buy the whole season digitally for like $20..but I'm not sure the avenue.
Jasomania
AG
quote:

It looks like the cheapest way is to buy all the volumes digitally from Dark Horse off their website

https://digital.darkhorse.com/bundles/?page=6

There are 8 volumes in season 8 which run for 7.99 each on their website ($63.92)

You can also get the volumes digitally on comixology but they run for 10.99 a volume. The have a bundle with a slight discount that costs 83.99

https://www.comixology.com/Buffy-the-Vampire-Slayer-Season-8/bundle/952

Your best bet is to hold out and wait for a sale on either site and get them all then. Comixology and Dark Horse are constantly having sales and will drop the price by half or more.

UPDATE

Comixology is having a sale on Darkhorse Stuff right now and each volume is going for 5.99 so you can get them all for 48 dollars right now
fig96
AG
DC collected books on sale (80% off) at Comixology, I might be picking up most of Knightfall at 4.99 apiece:

https://www.comixology.com/DC-Comics_Events_Sale/page/7312?tid=E150707001
jeffk
AG
Fyi: I just discovered that our local library lends out comic book collections digitally using Hoopla. Free program with a library card.
AboveAndBeyond
For those with access to my Civil War stuff. I just read that the Civil War being released tomorrow is NOT a rerelease. Its an actual BattleWorld where the Civil War never ended..... I'll make a new folder under Comics.

New one is up. Comics/Civil War. Not the huge Civil War folder....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.