Comics.

10,334 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AboveAndBeyond
AboveAndBeyond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Interesting. I'll look into it!
AboveAndBeyond
Anyone else catch Secret Wars #3? Dooms face......
R0GUE
AG
quote:
Anyone else catch Secret Wars #3? Dooms face......
That was messed up, i felt bad for him. I'm not sure we've ever really seen his scarred up face before.
AboveAndBeyond
#3 has got to be the best yet! When they all came climbing out of that Pod...
Aggie94
AG
2nd "All New, All Different" teaser:

They've got the Thing back, and Old Man Logan is there. X-2 has taken the role of Wolverine...I am glad to see that they're getting rid of Daredevil's awful suit he's been wearing in the last couple issues of his series...
Bruce Almighty
AG
Do I need to be up to date on all the characters to read Secret Wars? There are very few characters that I read anymore.
R0GUE
AG
Marko I think you'll be good. The whole idea is that its leading to a line-wide re-boot/re-vamp, so the slate's mostly been wiped clean. If anything, this event is chock full of nostalgia, lots of throwbacks to older crossovers and events.

If you know the main Marvel cast, you'll be fine. You might not know some of the new bad guys, but most of them are just Thanos' henchmen.
AboveAndBeyond
They have a prelude set that will get you up to date on most of the who's and why's.

Also, don't forget to read Secret Wars #0. I thought it started at #1, and was a little confused. #0 got me on track.
Sex Panther
AG
Jesus just reading this thread has me confused as hell. You need a PHD to follow this stuff... how the hell do kids do it?
R0GUE
AG
A) It's not as confusing as you think if you really follow it closely. Reading a bunch of summaries and comments on an internet board its no wonder you're confused.

B) A lot of these comics are definitely not aimed at kids. Comics are marketed as much toward adults who still read them for nostalgia reasons or whatever, as they are for kids. Kids have their own line of comics for the most part, even within Marvel, and we typically aren't discussing those. Comics have grown into an adult medium, like it or not, with mature, nuanced stories. Some might argue that's what's killing them slowly as well, but who knows.
Dro07
AG
dafuq is going on to my comic book memories
R0GUE
AG
By the way, http://hasdcdonesomethingstupidtoday.com/ got reset to 0 last week, as DC is apparently moving toward putting ads on the same page that they have actual content. Ugh, its a good thing I don't read any DC comics anymore.
AboveAndBeyond
He's right SP. Most of the comics now days are aimed at young adults and older I know I wouldn't let my kids read some of the ones I've found!

I just now got back into reading them, I hadn't picked one up in 20ish years or so. It took some research for me to get caught back up, some things I'm still confused on. You have to remember, Secret Wars has been getting set up for at least a year, if not more. It spans over multiple story lines and just about ALL the major characters.

Send me an email, I might have something to help you out on getting caught up.
jeffk
AG
AAB, if you get a chance, can you shoot me the materials you mentioned? I have a lot of free time at the moment and would love to get back up to speed on some of these storylines. My address is in my profile.
AboveAndBeyond
Sent. I'm trying to find out if it updates to YOU when I add to it Like when I add to it, will it update what you can see or if it just shows you what's there and nothings ever added to it.
AboveAndBeyond
Oh! The one you want is in Avengers/Time Runs Out.
AboveAndBeyond
Hahahahahahaha!! I know it's supposed to be a "kids" book, but did anyone read the Giant Size Little Marvel?!
fig96
AG
i haven't, but Skottie Young is a freakin' genius and I'll pick it up. If you like his stuff check out the new Rocket Raccoon book.

Speaking of, this is probably a good place to share what I got for Christmas from the Mrs:

AboveAndBeyond
That's awesome!

Ya the Giant Size is funny. Its a little "kiddie" in a sense but you'll understand why I said it was funny when you finish it.
YouBet
AG
So, both Marvel and DC just rebooted about 1-2 years ago. Am I understanding they are rebooting again, already?
Vander
AG
quote:
Jesus just reading this thread has me confused as hell. You need a PHD to follow this stuff... how the hell do kids do it?

They don't, comics aren't made for kids anymore because they cost way too much. You would be dropping hundreds per month to keep up with major storylines at times and no kid has that kind of money. This is why comics are struggling and everything has moved to movies.
Vander
AG
Double post
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:

They don't, comics aren't made for kids anymore because they cost way too much. You would be dropping hundreds per month to keep up with major storylines at times and no kid has that kind of money. This is why comics are struggling and everything has moved to movies.

But yet, the comics don't support the movies. Mind boggling.
Vander
AG
True, but now that Disney owns Marvel and since the WB owns DC, it's pretty clear that thy only keep the comics around to make movies or tv shows out of them. They want the source material. This is why the comics always bow to the movies on certain things now.
R0GUE
AG
quote:
So, both Marvel and DC just rebooted about 1-2 years ago. Am I understanding they are rebooting again, already?

Marvel is doing its first reboot ever, and it's a pretty soft reboot it sounds like, most of the storylines they've started recently will be carrying over.

DC rebooted about 4-5 years ago with the New 52. No idea what they are doing currently.
AliasMan02
AG
Marvel may not be rebooting, but they're resetting their titles to #1, right. Amazing Spider-Man had never been reset, but I believe now they're resetting for the second time in about 4 years? Plus Ultimate Spider-Man had a few different #1 issues.
fig96
AG
quote:
Marvel may not be rebooting, but they're resetting their titles to #1, right. Amazing Spider-Man had never been reset, but I believe now they're resetting for the second time in about 4 years? Plus Ultimate Spider-Man had a few different #1 issues.

Try like just over a year. Amazing Spider-Man #1 came out in April of last year.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Daredevil isn't rebooting, he just started a new life in California.
R0GUE
AG
Yes I don't think of re-numbering the same as rebooting. Re-numbering happens all the time. Re-boot means you change some history or re-configure the universe in some way.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Yes I don't think of re-numbering the same as rebooting. Re-numbering happens all the time. Re-boot means you change some history or re-configure the universe in some way.
That's sorta what I'm saying, though. Renumbering doesn't happen all the time. Especially not for the iconic titles.
R0GUE
AG
It happens more than you think I bet. A common trick is to restart a series at number 1 to "make it more accessible" and then go back to the "Legacy numbering" when it hits an anniversary issue like a big round number. They've done this more than a few times with Uncanny X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, etc.
YouBet
AG
Was thinking of the New 52 for DC. Regarding Marvel maybe I'm just confusing rebooting with multiple different lines of the same character which has always confused me.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
Daredevil isn't rebooting, he just started a new life in California.

Finally got priced outta Hell's Kitchen?
Aggie94
AG
Back to the numbering: as I understand it, Marvel's going to go to episodic numbering, meaning the various series will start at number one, and when that run is complete (perhaps after 12 issues), they'll start back at number one again.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding that.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Back to the numbering: as I understand it, Marvel's going to go to episodic numbering, meaning the various series will start at number one, and when that run is complete (perhaps after 12 issues), they'll start back at number one again.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding that.
Now that collecting isn't really a thing, this makes a lot of sense. It fits the idea that the current narrative is important more than what happened in issue #13, 25 years ago.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.