*****Avengers: Age of Ultron discussion*****

68,679 Views | 447 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by rhutton125
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I have a hard time believing that ultron didn't back up a copy of himself in the cloud.
dude that would take like a hundred sky-drive accounts..be realistic

but only one former student's association account.
Beat me to it
TCTTS
AG
http://mashable.com/2015/05/04/is-ultron-dead/
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
Same reaction in the showing I was in yesterday, although I think it was also a bit of relief/shock that Hawkeye was alright followed immediately by the realization that Quicksilver had instead given his life.
Makes you wonder if Quicksilver's line "Bet you didn't see that coming" was actually Whedon talking to the audience.....
TCTTS
AG
Some really interesting stuff here...

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/joss-whedon-shot-an-alternate-avengers-age-of-ultron-ending-where-redacted-doesnt-die-much-more-20150504
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Whedon and company faked me out. I totally thought Hawkeye's days were numbered after having a more prominent role, family scenes, saying goodbye to the wife, etc.

This sentiment is especially true if you're familiar with Ultimate Hawkeye.
TCTTS
AG
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
Whedon and company faked me out. I totally thought Hawkeye's days were numbered after having a more prominent role, family scenes, saying goodbye to the wife, etc.

This sentiment is especially true if you're familiar with Ultimate Hawkeye.
I was just discussing with a friend how Hawkeye in this film felt really weird after reading the recent Fraction/Aja run (which is freakin' brilliant).
BigTimeAlum
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I have a hard time believing that ultron didn't back up a copy of himself in the cloud.
It's definitely possible that he uploaded a copy of himself to some server that was taken off line prior to the final battle, but the Vision made a point to say that he eliminated Ultron from the internet while also preventing him from uploading a new copy during the battle.

Ultron can easily come back if Marvel wants him to
Ultron is definitely still alive. In the movie, Vision said he did not want to destroy Ultron and that he was unique. At the end, you just see a flash of light. Vision took him somewhere. He didn't destroy him.

Vision said he would help destroy him if that was the only option, but he also said he was on the "side of life". With Ultron no longer an immediate threat, he definitely didn't kill him.
double aught
AG
quote:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/joss-whedon-shot-an-alternate-avengers-age-of-ultron-ending-where-redacted-doesnt-die-much-more-20150504
That is interesting, specifically the part where it talks about scenes Whedon and studio execs fought over. And I gotta agree with the studio guys about dream sequences. I could do without them most of the time. They're the slowest part of this movie.
rhutton125
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
It's definitely possible that he uploaded a copy of himself to some server that was taken off line prior to the final battle, but the Vision made a point to say that he eliminated Ultron from the internet while also preventing him from uploading a new copy during the battle.

Ultron is definitely still alive. In the movie, Vision said he did not want to destroy Ultron and that he was unique. At the end, you just see a flash of light. Vision took him somewhere. He didn't destroy him.

With Ultron no longer an immediate threat, he definitely didn't kill him.

I definitely disagree. Ultron lunges to attack Vision. Not only that, letting him go means he's still a threat to infiltrate the Internet, access nuclear codes, etc.

But more than either of those subjective points, we know the general outline of the next ~7 movies. Either Ultron comes back for Captain Marvel, or in phase 4 or 5, or... not at all. I think not at all is the most likely option.
fig96
AG
quote:

Relating back to my earlier Thor/Selvig question:

quote:
Whedon is extremely candid about his arguments with Marvel, and basically suggests the reason why the Thor subplot with Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgrd) is so convoluted is because Marvel made him cut it down. "I do feel they threw out the baby with the pond water," he said about that sequence. "The dreams were not an executive favorite either. The dreams, the farmhouse, these were the things I fought to keep."
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Ultron could have easily uploaded himself onto a hard drive somewhere that's not connected to the Internet, waiting for someone to stumble upon him. There are plenty of ways he could return.
Saxsoon
AG
I liked all of the dreams and the farmhouse but would have preferred Thor's could have been better.
Saxsoon
AG
There were some horror vibes in this with Black Widow's dreams and the initial movement of Scarlet Witch
BigTimeAlum
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

With Ultron no longer an immediate threat, he definitely didn't kill him.

I definitely disagree. Ultron lunges to attack Vision. Not only that, letting him go means he's still a threat to infiltrate the Internet, access nuclear codes, etc.

But more than either of those subjective points, we know the general outline of the next ~7 movies. Either Ultron comes back for Captain Marvel, or in phase 4 or 5, or... not at all. I think not at all is the most likely option.

Vision was feeling sorry for Ultron in that last sequence. He was in no way afraid of him at that point. Vision is powered by a freakin infinity stone. He could have transported him anywhere. I would be shocked if it doesn't come out that he didn't destroy him at some point in the next few movies.

But that's just my own nerd opinion.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Joss Whedon quit Twitter today bc of 'social justice warriors' lambasting him non stop. They didn't like how black widow was treated, in how she tamed the hulk, being sterile made her a 'monster', and the cucumber joke.
COOL LASER FALCON
Now if that ain't some rain on your wedding day.
chase128
AG
quote:
Joss Whedon quit Twitter today bc of 'social justice warriors' lambasting him non stop. They didn't like how black widow was treated, in how she tamed the hulk, being sterile made her a 'monster', and the cucumber joke.

There are way too many stupid people in this world.
rhutton125
AG
quote:
Vision was feeling sorry for Ultron in that last sequence. He was in no way afraid of him at that point. Vision is powered by a freakin infinity stone. He could have transported him anywhere. I would be shocked if it doesn't come out that he didn't destroy him at some point in the next few movies.

But that's just my own nerd opinion.

You could be right. I'd just be afraid that if he's brought back in, say, an Infinity War, he'd have to be such a minor character that it'd be unworthy of him. And I don't know when else he'd face the Avengers. Maybe post-Phase 3 but by then all the original cast could be done with the franchise or something.
TexasAggie_02
AG
http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2015/05/04/joss-whedon-deletes-twitter-account-after-rabid-feminist-avengers-backlash/
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
Feminists
Saxsoon
AG
She calls herself a monster because she was trained to be a ****ing assassin, not because she was sterile. She freaking said she had a dream where she was an avenger and not the assassin they made her to be.

Context is important dumbasses
TCTTS
AG
People are so ******* dumb. If there's ONE male in the entertainment industry who's a champion for women, it's Joss Whedon.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
People are so ******* dumb. If there's ONE male in the entertainment industry who's a champion for women, it's Joss Whedon.

A big reason that he was hired was his ability to write strong women.

Part of this is blowback from the recent outing of Disney intentionally not marketing the MCU to girls, leaving Black Widow largely out of their merch campaigns. All this because they have girls locked up with the princess stuff. Some of that is bloggy clickbait stuff, but some is also pretty damning.
LeonardSkinner
Dunno. Fwiw, Breitbart seems to be the only one directly tying Whedon's departure to angry feminists. Other reports seem to say it was because his tweets were always vulnerable to being misconstrued or given too much weight.
Pro Ag
AG
They don't market to girls because young girls can still be scared of this stuff. My 8 year old loves the marvel cartoons but doesn't want to watch the movies because they are scary to her.
LeonardSkinner
I'm not in sales, marketing, or whatever. But I can't really figure out how they would market Black Widow stuff.

Black Widow doesn't have a recognizable symbol or gimmick (Cap's shield, Thor's hammer, etc); and she doesn't have a mask or helmet like Cap, Iron Man, and so forth. So what do you use as a selling point?

Black Widow is unique because she is a woman. But it's really hard to use that as the basis for a brand since it's a tough line to walk between acknowledging that she's a woman and exploiting her femininity. Especially with a woman like Johansson, with such a sensual figure and a reputation as one of the world's sexiest.

And then, you've got to make stuff that people will actually want.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Can you imagine the **** storm if they made an accurate representation of Scarlett in action figure form? Feminists would hate her for being too hot.

Winter soldier poster artwork was blasted. They accused the studio of making her waist too narrow. But if you watch the scene with her interrogating Loki I the first Avengers, her waist is that small.

LeonardSkinner
Exactly. How do you make a BW action figure that isn't Barbie in black leather?
Saxsoon
AG
Oh and Whedon is an ableist because Hawkeye made a prothesis leg joke. I swear some of these -ists started out as a joke on the Onion.
R0GUE
AG
I really love most of his work at Marvel and Firefly was pretty good, but I kind of hate it when a director has such a big personality and media presence (like Whedon ) that it begins to loom larger than his actual work. There are way "more famous" directors out there, whom I know next to nothing about except their films, which suits me just fine.
Prime0882
AG
Whoops, I should have read more of the thread!
M.C. Swag
AG
Saw it last night in IMAX 3D - I wouldn't say 3D added to anything, but the IMAX screen is impressive nonetheless.

Cons - Plot holes, rushed storyline, too much CGI.

Pros - Action, One-liners, slow-mo pan around shots, Ultron/Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver/Vision and pleasantly surprising...HAWKEYE. I was also pleased with the insane amount of actors they got to return to their roles or make cameos from prior films. I think that speaks volumes about how close these people are and how much they actually care about the Marvel movie franchise.

In terms of popcorn eating entertainment, it's gets a 10/10. You can make quite a bit of criticisms about the movie, but "boring" won't be amongst them.

TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
I was also pleased with the insane amount of actors they got to return to their roles or make cameos from prior films. I think that speaks volumes about how close these people are and how much they actually care about the Marvel movie franchise.
heh, except Natalie Portman and Gwyneth Paltrow. I like how at the party, they were asked where their "ladies" were.
LeonardSkinner
Not sure what Paltrow is thinking. Pepper Potts is the only decent thing she's done in the last ten years, imo.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.