*****Avengers: Age of Ultron discussion*****

68,408 Views | 447 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by rhutton125
MooreTrucker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Y'all are all wrong. The Allstate guy is the answer to #2.
Dennis Haysbert
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
quote:
Y'all are all wrong. The Allstate guy is the answer to #2.
Dennis Haysbert
Pedro Cerano
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
quote:
The problem with the movie and with Ultron as a villain, was that you didn't for a second think that anyone had any chance of dying. Nobody struggled with the robot army either.

And just when you think they might be in over their heads, they miraculously discover/ create a new all powered superhero to defeat the greatest enemy they have ever faced. I don't think Vision should have been in this movie, and I definitely think Ultron should have spanned multiple movies.

And you have a freaking God on your side. In his own movies, he is all powerful and feared across worlds. Yet on Earth, he is just a member of a team and barely more powerful than other members.

This movie was fantastic, but the whole thing didn't have the feel of the first one. That with overwhelming odds and nowhere to turn, they had to work together to win.
Hit the nail on the head, entirely, for me. Good movie...just not great for me. I expected more peril for the Avengers. They seemed to have a quite bit more peril in the first movie. They cut through this robot army like a hot knife through butter.

Not that Ultron is a no one, but Tony even mentions that the bigger threat is from things like Loki and aliens.
aCosmicBandito
AG
Saw it this afternoon. It was good. Not great but good and entertaining. Loved the Hulkbuster fight, thought it was funny, Ultron and Vision were both cool, and it had great action scenes. It was just really overshadowed by Mad Max for me. Different movies but I had more fun watching that. I'll see Max in the theater again. Won't see this one twice, but it's worth going once if you like the first one.

Maybe I'm getting a little burnt out on superhero movies or was expecting a more shocking character death than Quiksilver. They were misdirecting the entire movie making you think Hawkeye was going to be on the Avenger chopping block after leaving his wife for one more 'avenging', then they kill a cooler character we just met (unless you watched X-Men ha). I wanted higher consequences than side characters.

I also thought they might have Hulk kill Black Widow on accident and that would send him into exile. Would've been a better explanation than having Hulk sit calmly and decide, inside a flying jet, that he will go into hiding while having a video chat with his girlfriend. I guess I had just heard the buzz that an 'Avenger' died in the movie and had kept myself from being spoiled and was letdown. It was a good movie though, and I'd watch the next one.
AliasMan02
AG
I have to disagree with you. Hawkeye >>>>>> Quicksilver, imo.
Cant Think of a Name
AG
quote:
i'm not a comic book reader and maybe i missed it from AoU, but what exactly makes ultron and vision so different? i'm not talking physical difference (robot v. android), but rather personality-wise?

both were "programmed" by tony, right?

both received the AI from the mind stone, right?

so if the underlying programs were both written by tony and the same device gave them AI, then why are they so dramatically different?

did i just miss something?

One is purple. One is silver.

Its pretty obvious.
Morpholino
AG
Saw it yesterday and thought it was entertaining. I agree with the previous poster. It's one of those movies I will probably never watch again unless it randomly comes on TV.
jackie childs
quote:
Saw it yesterday and thought it was entertaining. I agree with the previous poster. It's one of those movies I will probably never watch again unless it randomly comes on TV.
i'm not sure how random it will be, but i can almost assure this movie will be run on a damn near loop on TV in the weeks before civil war's release
TexasAggie_02
AG
TexasAggie_02
AG
How Age of Ultron should have ended - part 1
bearamedic99
AG
How long after the first dvd release do you think it'll be before they allow the director's cut to be released? Will Disney or Marvel even allow it?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Marvel/Disney has never done that (director's/extended cut) as far as I can remember, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

I believe that their philosophy with their films is that what they put on the screen is the vision that they (Marvel, not the individual directors) had.
rhutton125
AG
Maybe we'll get some insight on the deleted scenes though
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Marvel/Disney has never done that (director's/extended cut) as far as I can remember, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

I believe that their philosophy with their films is that what they put on the screen is the vision that they (Marvel, not the individual directors) had.

Pretty sure they've already said that they would release Whedon's cut.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
http://screenrant.com/avengers-2-alternate-ending-extended-blu-ray-dvd/

quote:
However, no Marvel Studios release thus far has featured an extended cut, and given the fact that Amazon(UK) product information isn't the most reliable source, it's best to consider this latest information with the requisite grain of salt.
The information I'm finding about this online is referencing an Amazon.UK pre-order and goes back to late April and not much else recent.

It may happen, and I hope it does.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
And you have a freaking God on your side. In his own movies, he is all powerful and feared across worlds. Yet on Earth, he is just a member of a team and barely more powerful than other members.
You have to be very careful with how you handle a character that is essentially all-powerful. But I questioned the same thing. For example, at the very end, someone says "Is that the best you can do" to which Ultron says more or less "no, this is" and summons everything he has. For cinematic purposes, they only attack from one direction. Of course this is tactically retarded, but lets ignore that, and focus on what could have happened but didn't.

Now, #1, all of these are robots made of metal, which is a pretty damn good conductor.

#2 - thor can summon lightning.

#3 - an electrical charge can jump from one object to another

#4 - thor does in fact kill some of the ultron robots with his lightning, so they clearly aren't immune to it or some bs.

Theoretically, thor could just power up some lightning, send a huge bolt down the center of Ultron's ranks, and it ought to branch out to the individual robots, lighting them all up. Boom, final charge done, no one hurt.

I'm fairly certain there is no reason as to why this wouldn't work other than "it wouldn't be a good movie".
AliasMan02
AG
Well, that's not how electricity really works, so there's that reason. Have you ever seen lightning strike a car, then arc to all of the nearby cars in a chain and leave a road full of burning wreckage?

That's a silly thing to argue about, though. It's cinematic. Realism is boring for action. Can you imagine a realistic football or boxing movie? Booooring. No, the audience wants bone-crunching hits at dramatically appropriate moments.
swimmerbabe11
quote:
quote:
You have to be very careful with how you handle a character that is essentially all-powerful. But I questioned the same thing. For example, at the very end, someone says "Is that the best you can do" to which Ultron says more or less "no, this is" and summons everything he has. For cinematic purposes, they only attack from one direction. Of course this is tactically retarded, but lets ignore that, and focus on what could have happened but didn't.

Now, #1, all of these are robots made of metal, which is a pretty damn good conductor.

#2 - thor can summon lightning.

#3 - an electrical charge can jump from one object to another

#4 - thor does in fact kill some of the ultron robots with his lightning, so they clearly aren't immune to it or some bs.

Theoretically, thor could just power up some lightning, send a huge bolt down the center of Ultron's ranks, and it ought to branch out to the individual robots, lighting them all up. Boom, final charge done, no one hurt.

I'm fairly certain there is no reason as to why this wouldn't work other than "it wouldn't be a good movie".

Erm, they end up coming around in a circle, so they don't actually only attack in one direction.

Also, for the sake of argument, lets just say that Thor can't summon ALL of the Lightning. Think about video games, you generally have to let special powers recharge. Go with that. Plus, if he's not careful he could damage Vision right? (not that Thor is exactly our smartest hero and might not think of that)
swimmerbabe11
So I went to a movie theater alone for the first time to watch. Its definitely harder for me to get 'into' the move theater when I am giving everyone the shifty eyes around me and generally have a bit of stranger danger lurking in the back of my head. I am really excited to watch the director's cut at home and be able to have captions and rewinding. I'm not sure I've ever reaally really been excited for that this much before.

Cons:
1) Was really blown away by how much I didn't like ScarJo/Ruffalo. In a story sense, I totally get it and I like it and I'm in. I thought Ruffalo did a great job of acting and was believable when he was avoiding her or being awkward...but to me their chemistry was just really not that great when they were actually being together.

2) Did feel a little rushed, won't rehash that

3) Took me until nearly the end of the movie to decide if I liked Ultron's personality, (I think some of this is due to me having trouble being 'in' the movie) because he was so very human-like. His awakening was definitely a little too quick I think. Also, I'm pretty sure they took that sequence directly from 5th element.

4) Maybe I have just watched too much Whedon, but I was absolutely certain that Quicksilver was doomed from the beginning. I also hated that I really liked his character and I wanted SO much more from him, but he recycled the same "Didn't see that coming" line over 3 times.

5) a LOT of one liners, less witty banter

Pros:

literally everything else.

Costuming was beautiful. Just fantastic. (I wish they would have mentioned that they finally gave the Hulk stretchy pants)

Fight Scenes were pretty much amazing

Hawkeye finally got his moment in the sun and it was awesome

Really looking forward to the idea of a Vision romance...I think Vision was the coolest character. I'm super excited to see more of him. Really nervous about his forehead being the death of him..does he exist without the infinity stone?

Raganarok was set up, wasn't expecting that and I like it.

The Hulk/Iron Man fight was just stinkin' lovely...although you'd think they would have come up with a more effective method for calming him down. That seems like something you work on extensively. Natasha could like record something. Him leaving her seems like a set up for him to join GOTG 2, but what do I know?
It also makes her side on Civil War more complicated. I would put her with Cap America, but Banner is with Stark and if he returns, She will follow him...which means Hawkeye might follow them.

I'm excited to see what Ant Man brings to the table.
AggieJ29
AG
Upon subsequent viewings, I think this movie is pretty bad overall.
chipotle
I didn't care too much for the movie probably because the first avengers movie set the bar too high.
israeliag
AG
quote:
5) a LOT of one liners, less witty banter

This is a con?! I thought there was still plenty of witty banter (see: party scene, and returning to earlier jokes later in the film)
swimmerbabe11
The one liners are fantastic, but I'm just used to there being a lot more conversation than I felt like was in this film. Lot of heroes talking to themselves it felt like.

The Debt
quote:
Think about video games, you generally have to let special powers recharge.

bearamedic99
AG
find both of the Avengers movies hard to re-watch. I understand comic book suspension of disbelief but sometimes things are taken too far. I REALLY hope I am not getting Whedon weary and/or tired of comic book movies. I will likely skip Ant Man in theaters even though it is the ONLY thing coming out from Marvel studios on the big screen for a very long time.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
find both of the Avengers movies hard to re-watch. I understand comic book suspension of disbelief but sometimes things are taken too far. I REALLY hope I am not getting Whedon weary and/or tired of comic book movies. I will likely skip Ant Man in theaters even though it is the ONLY thing coming out from Marvel studios on the big screen for a very long time.

Not that many reviews yet, but early returns liken Ant Man to Guardians in it being a surprise hit. Being called a "heist movie" and totally different than anything in the MCU.
bearamedic99
AG
Take it to the Official Ant-Man Sucks Movie Thread
swimmerbabe11
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/whedon-gives-definitive-comment-about-avengers-age-of-ultron-directors-cut

No director's cut.
rhutton125
AG
Makes sense.

Now... what are these Black Widow guns they refer to that we didn't see?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.