*****Avengers: Age of Ultron discussion*****

68,603 Views | 447 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by rhutton125
LeonardSkinner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, with Vision turning up and proving a deciding factor against Ultron, is that a literal deus ex machina?
Aggie_Journalist
AG
No, but Fury's heli carrier was.
YellowPot_97
AG
Loki could be giving the gauntlet to Thanos. As far as we know, he is still impersonating Odin.

And no one's mentioned Wakanda and setting up Black Panther.
COOL LASER FALCON
Thought it was really good. The humor was the defining factor for me. The action was pretty bland to me, but I think it was on par with the other Marvel movies.

One critique that I don't think has been discussed here is that I don't like Vision teaming up with Falcon and the others at the very end. I liked that he was independent in the movie and sort of above it all. Seeing him as an Avenger cheapened that for me. I guess I thought the movie did a good job of making good vs bad a little bit gray until the very end.
Philip J Fry
AG
Good, but not great. Probably my 3rd or 4th favorite marvel movie. I never got the sense that there was any real danger from the robots. Something was missing from this movie, but I can't put my finger on it. It's like the second Captain America movie. Good, but wouldn't watch it twice in the theaters.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Good, but not great. Probably my 3rd or 4th favorite marvel movie. I never got the sense that there was any real danger from the robots. Something was missing from this movie, but I can't put my finger on it. It's like the second Captain America movie. Good, but wouldn't watch it twice in the theaters.

Not a criticism of an opinion, but I think it's funny that being the third or fourth best Marvel movie would make it "good" in your eyes. I think "great" gows at least four deep in most accounts. Doubly funny that you seem "meh" on Winter Soldier, which many would argue is the best of the franchise.
BigRobSA
Was watching Thor on TV last night ( Starz had a continuing rotation of Thor2, Cap2 and GotG on both their West and East coast channels, and other channels had older Cap/Thor/IM on) and noticed that Barton (AKA Hawkeye, later on) was an agent in Thor for SHIELD. He's the guy Coulson radios to for him to get ready to take the shot on Thor when he's going berserk to get to Mjolnir and who climbs into a basket that elevates him right above the fracas with his trademark compound bow. Never realized it before.
schmendeler
AG
quote:
Was watching Thor on TV last night ( Starz had a continuing rotation of Thor2, Cap2 and GotG on both their West and East coast channels, and other channels had older Cap/Thor/IM on) and noticed that Barton (AKA Hawkeye, later on) was an agent in Thor for SHIELD. He's the guy Coulson radios to for him to get ready to take the shot on Thor when he's going berserk to get to Mjolnir and who climbs into a basket that elevates him right above the fracas with his trademark compound bow. Never realized it before.

Welcome to 2011
rhutton125
AG
quote:
One critique that I don't think has been discussed here is that I don't like Vision teaming up with Falcon and the others at the very end. I liked that he was independent in the movie and sort of above it all. Seeing him as an Avenger cheapened that for me. I guess I thought the movie did a good job of making good vs bad a little bit gray until the very end.

That makes sense, but Vision is also the one who proposes at the Avengers Tower that taking Ultron down will take all of them - the original six, the twins, and himself. So it's not as if teamwork is a new idea being forced upon him in the very last scene. Thankfully.

I didn't expect to say this at all, but I'm now very excited for whatever they do next with Vision. Not sure if he'll make a Civil War appearance (probably not) but we got just enough of the guy to want more.

Also, someone needs to find me a screenshot of the Vision/Thor/IronMan triple-beam scene for my new desktop background, STAT.
schmendeler
AG
Maybe it's because I don't read the comics, but I don't get why everyone is so in love with vision. To be honest, his appearance looked kind of silly to me. As for his powers, it seemed mainly to be strength and somehow a laser beam from the jewel.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Maybe it's because I don't read the comics, but I don't get why everyone is so in love with vision. To be honest, his appearance looked kind of silly to me. As for his powers, it seemed mainly to be strength and somehow a laser beam from the jewel.

1. Embodies Jarvis, who I think it's safe to say everyone loves
2. Purity of purpose and motive in a world full of grey
3. Totally owns an Infinity Stone
4. Cool powers (flight, phasing, energy projection)
5. Paul Bettany
6. Has probably the greatest moment in the film, maybe the whole MCU
tamusc
AG
quote:
He can also change his density and phase through objects. Not sure they showed him changing his density, but they did show his fists passing through a few of the Ultron bots to rip them apart from the inside. That even drew a "whoa" from War Machine.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
It's like the second Captain America movie. Good, but wouldn't watch it twice in the theaters.
Winter Soldier is the Marvel movie I think I've seen the most times. Not only is it probably the best MCU movie, it was possibly the best movie I saw last year.
mazag08
AG
What is the love fest with winter soldier? That was right next to Thor2 as the least intriguing in the universe.
rhutton125
AG
Old-school spy flick, conspiracy, down-to-earth action (for the most part - the scene where Cap takes out a jet really irks me), and some major repercussions at the end. I think it's just one of the "tightest" films of the MCU, and it doesn't involve an excess of CGI action.

It's not my favorite, but I think it's pretty dang strong. But if someone preferred, say, Iron Man action, it's not like I could convince them that Cap2 is the best movie ever or anything. But it is a bit different than the other MCU films.
schmendeler
AG
winter soldier was probably the best straight up action movie of the group. I really love the scene with fury and the guys trying to take him out on the streets of New York (or may be DC, don't remember). the thor movies are the worst of the group, by far, imo.
fig96
AG
Reposting my question from yesterday for the Monday morning crowd:

quote:
One question on something that to me seemed a bit random, what exactly happened with Thor going to Selvig to relive his dream? I didn't follow the whole underground cave thing there and it wasn't really explained.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:

quote:
One question on something that to me seemed a bit random, what exactly happened with Thor going to Selvig to relive his dream? I didn't follow the whole underground cave thing there and it wasn't really explained.

I suspect this is the subplot that was cut the most from the film. It suggests that the visions weren't only dreams, but maybe provided a little more insight into what is happening across the universe.
lne2011
AG
I think Selvig is one of the only people on earth that knew/could find the location of that pool.
Philip J Fry
AG
Maybe it's me in my mid 30s, but I think WS drags along. Part of that is my lack of caring torwards Cap's friend.
G Martin 87
AG
Caveats: not a comic book reader, didn't see Thor 2 or any of the Hulks, and not watching AoS.

Summary: Enjoyed it a lot, although I occasionally felt a little lost. (The extended cut should resolve that, I think.) Unfortunately, I think they've reached a point in the overall story where the casual fan will have trouble keeping up without seeing all the movies at least twice. That's a little disappointing, because Ant Man doesn't interest me in the slightest.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:

quote:

it was some ancient norse pool. I'm guessing ancient prophets or something used it, i can't remember exactly what was said. But he did say that it would help him re-enter the vision he had. I'm guessing that he saw Vision in the vision, and knew that he needed to charge him.

I thought it was interesting that he was able to summon lightning indoors when he charged up Vision's container. I always assumed that he would have to be outside for that to work.
fig96
AG
quote:
I think Selvig is one of the only people on earth that knew/could find the location of that pool.
Right, but how does the pool tie in? I didn't follow how that related back to anything. I'm thinking it may have been something related back to Dark World which was a bit of a mess to start with.

Alias may be right in that some scenes that provided more context there were cut.
G Martin 87
AG
Joss Whedon is a genius, isn't he? I submit two proofs:

(1) As I said above, I'm not a comic book reader. So I had no idea who Vision was or his motives. Here's a great example of efficient scriptwriting; Vision casually picks up Thor's hammer and hands it to Thor. In that little 5 second exchange, I immediately understood that Vision was worthy and "good." Joss set this up brilliantly at the party scene.

(2) I loved Hawkeye's pep talk to Scarlet Witch. That was classic Joss dialogue. Mal could have delivered the exact same lines.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:

Go watch Gaurdians of the Galaxy right now!
schmendeler
AG
quote:
quote:

i just watched it for the second time last week. what was I supposed to take away from it?
BigRobSA
quote:
quote:
quote:
i just watched it for the second time last week. what was I supposed to take away from it?
Probably that only beings of EXTREME power can even hold an infinity stone, let alone use one. Vision has one in his frickin' head. Must be all sorts of badass.
schmendeler
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Probably that only beings of EXTREME power can even hold an infinity stone, let alone use one. Vision has one in his frickin' head. Must be all sorts of badass.

he's not a living being. he's basically the elevator.
dcaggie04
AG
But the elevator is not worthy.
schmendeler
AG
quote:

and yet it can lift the hammer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Didn't Vision have living cells?
Philip J Fry
AG
He's a living being. The Scarlet Witch was able to detect Ultron's thoughts as he uploaded his conscience into that body.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
quote:

and yet it can lift the hammer.
Awesome dialogue
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
quote:
Maybe cause the city was in rural nowheresville?
israeliag
AG
So Vision is specifically Thor's vision? And that's why he was able to lift the hammer, because he has Thor's spirit?

Or is Vision a part of all the Avengers' vision?

Is his AI everywhere, or just in the LMD?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.