FOCUS

67,676 Views | 338 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Max Power
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do you live in NYC?
Simplebay
AG
naw, just frequent it for work
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ah, gotcha.
Sex Panther
AG
When my sister sat next to him a few weeks ago in Chicago, she said his daughter was with him as well. Pretty cool he seems to be such a good dad.
TCTTS
AG
That's awesome. Yeah, they seemed totally normal. Just had handfuls of random crap and were physically carrying it all with no basket for some reason. Kind of just dumped it all on the counter, and his daughter was basically in her pajamas. Felt like a quick, random outing, as they live fairly close by.
schmendeler
AG
TCTTS said:

Funny you ask, because a buddy of mine was actually on the M:I6 set for a day a few weeks ago in Paris and was echoing basically everything you're saying. I'd rather not get into details, because of why my buddy was on set - if you've read a couple of my other fairly recent, Pirates-related posts, you can probably connect the dots - but yeah, he said it was a sight to behold to witness Cruise in action, both in front of the camera and especially when the cameras weren't rolling. Said he's basically more in charge than even the director, and is just constantly motivating the crew, never leaves the set to go to his trailer (which is super rare), and is just an all around hard working, super nice bad ass. I've heard that from so many people over the years, and it really is true.
i recently listened to the Joe Rogan podcast where he had Leah Remini on. she said something that made me think of Tom Cruise and how you've always said you hear that he's great to work with and super nice. She said that it's kind of what is expected when you're in scientology. you're supposed to be very nice so as to make people see what good things it does for people. kind of, "it really works, look at so and so". i wonder if it is in part his intent behind that intensity.
TCTTS
AG
Forgot about a story my buddy told me Saturday night that I thought was so hilarious. Figured it's perfect for this thread, especially considering the topic as of late...

Basically, a few of us went to one of the weirdest Hollywood parties we'd ever been to, at a mansion in the hills, with men in loincloths, a lot of chanting... just this super weird Eyes Wide Shut vibe all around. It was an installation / "musical experience" for the band Sigur Ros, a friend of ours was "producing" it, and holy hell was it strange.

Afterwards we were hanging at my house/office, which happened to be just down the street, and got to talking about our other weirdest nights in Hollywood, when one of my good friends started telling us about this night he had over Emmy weekend a couple years ago. Said he was at Home Depot around 5 PM that Saturday, when he got a call from a co-worker asking him if he could be at a function in two hours... a Scientology banquet in Hollywood. Neither my friend nor the person calling would ever even consider joining those diabolical morons, but they had tickets at a special table and just wanted to say they attended something that crazy. The kicker was who's tickets they were using...

Roseanne Barr's

A friend of the friend inviting my buddy was friends with Roseanne, and Roseanne had like three extra tickets. And she was going to be there, at their table. So my buddy ran home, put on a suit, and met his friend at the freaking Scientology building in Hollywood. After he valeted, he said they confiscated his ID upon entry, and the table he ended up at was literally right among all the other celebrity tables. He was at a table next Travolta, said Giovanni Ribisi was nearby... everyone was there except Cruise. Even stranger, after getting to know her over dinner, my buddy didn't think Roseanne was a Scientologist at all. He could not figure out why the hell she was there or what hell was going on. And that's when a giant banner of L. Ron Hubbard dropped from the ceiling and everyone stood like they were about to sing the national anthem or something. After that point it was one of the most bonkers things he'd ever witnessed. In addition to all the crazy guest speakers, he said the big accomplishment that they were celebrating was Scientology somehow teaching THREE BILLION people on the planet to READ. And that everyone in the banquet hall truly believed and applauded that stat, without blinking an eye.

Afterward, all he wanted was to get the hell out of there, and he finally got his ID back (after no doubt being entered into some f'ed up database), when Roseanne suggested their table all go to Chateau Marmont, which is a hotel on Sunset that is basically the epicenter of Hollywood. This was much more my buddy's speed, so he decided to go along.

Well, once they got there, they were seated at a table in the restaurant next to the entire cast of Modern Family, there for one of the Emmy parties. And the friend - a woman - who invited my buddy was obsessed with Eric Stonestreet for some reason, the big guy who plays Cam. Mind you, my buddy has NO SHAME in situations like this - he has the best celebrity stories of anyone I've ever known, hands down, for that very reason - and so when the cast all got up to head upstairs to the actual party, my buddy chased down Eric and asked if he'd come back and say hello to his friend, who was a huge fan. He said the entire cast stopped as he was asking, and just stared at him like he was an idiot. Eric apparently was the biggest assh*le about it - just kind of huffed and puffed (which is somewhat understandable, I guess) - but finally agreed to come say hello and told the rest of the cast he'd be up in a couple minutes.

So my buddy brought Eric back to the table and started introducing him to everyone, naming everyone in the group, casually naming Roseanne among them. Eric immediately did a double take, and his demeanor COMPLETELY changed in that instant from visibly pissed to the biggest suck up ever. For those in the sitcom world, Roseanne is royalty, apparently. And so Eric ended up hanging with the group for another TWO HOURS, having the time of his life, thinking my buddy was just the coolest guy ever, and never even going up to the party.

Anyway, there wasn't much else to the story, I just thought it was so funny and so perfectly emblematic of how weird, random, and fun Hollywood can be. The nights you try to or think you're going to go to some kick ass celebrity party never work out that way. It's always the random call from a friend, or spur of the moment decision, when you and your friends end up at parties like that and come away with the best stories. I've randomly crashed celebrity birthday parties before, ended up way underdressed at wrap parties I had nothing to do with (thus causing people to think I had to be the MOST famous person there), and none of it was ever even remotely planned.

Point is, when you least expect it, you could be at Home Depot, get a call from a friend, and end up not only at Roseanne's table at a Scientology banquet, but introducing sitcom stars of yesterday and today to each other later that night.
TCTTS
AG
I think it's a factor for sure. But I also bet he'd be that genuine, regardless. I think the Scientology aspect may fuel it a bit, sure, but ultimately I don't know that any human being could fake that kind of niceness with that kind of intensity/commitment for all these years.
Quinn
AG
Interesting that Roseanne would still be a legend to current sitcom stars when she hasn't done anything in 20 years. I guess that Stonestreet probably watched her when he was trying to make it in the industry?
schmendeler
AG
according to Norm Macdonald, she has a new show coming out. he's writing for it (again).
Sex Panther
AG
Now that's a story
TCTTS
AG
They're revising Roseanne for a limited run, just like Will & Grace currently on NBC.
TCTTS
AG
The show itself is more "prestige" among comedy writers/actors than you might think. A ton of writers who went on to do huge things got their start on Roseanne, and for whatever reason, Roseanne herself is revered among sitcom types as being a trailblazer of sorts. I watched it as a kid as well, and enjoyed it I guess, but have been surprised to see how high of a regard it's been held over the years since.
Sex Panther
AG
Yeah, Roseanne is pretty legendary and that show was huge... Any comic older than 30-35 probably reveres her and watched that show.
Duncan Idaho
Plus it gave the world "second Becky"
TCTTS
AG
Saw Danny Glover at the car wash this morning, and now this...

So weird.
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

So weird.

I'll never get too old for this ****
TCTTS
AG
Ha. I seriously thought, "He literally looks too old for this sh*t." Dude looks OLD.
Duncan Idaho
TCTTS said:

So weird.

They are remaking lethal weapon 5? The original was a great commentary on race relations portrayed through the creative use of black face
TCTTS
AG
This is happening. Tickets purchased.

TCTTS
AG
Second Thanksgiving flight in a row with Stan from Mad Men and his family. To Dallas. Same exact situation as last year.
Duncan Idaho
It kills me that as much as I travel the only celebrity I have seen on a plane was the guy that does the voice acting for some dragon Ball z character
TCTTS
AG
Nearly three years later, in literally the exact same theater I first saw Focus...

TCTTS
AG
Pretty big sighting tonight. Went to a restauarant/bar in Venice (CA) called The Tasting Kitchen with a couple friends, we were standing at a table by the bar, and literally at the table next to us, hanging with a group of friends, was Emma Watson, aka Hermione from Harry Potter. Couple minutes later I noticed one of the friends was Tom Felton, aka Draco. Then, like five minutes after that, I noticed a third HP cast member, the kid that played Neville. So, yeah, drank next to half the cast from Harry Potter for a couple hours tonight.

Felton was in a hoodie, jeans, and black baseball cap turned backwards and was hitting on the super hot hostess all night. Dude looked like an ill-dressed, 17-year-old high school kid and the hostess was still all about it. Life just ain't fair.

Though, one of my friends swore Emma made eyes at him multiple times, even though A) her boyfriend was with her, B) my friend is married, and C) he's way too old for her (assuming 11 years her elder is too old - yes? no?).
jeffk
AG
I wonder how many bad, wizarding-related pick-up lines she's heard over the years?

Actually, if I ever meet her, that'd be a good conversation starter. "What's the worst wizarding pick-up line you've ever heard?"
MaroonStain
AG
TCTTS said:

Pretty big sighting tonight. Went to a restauarant/bar in Venice (CA) called The Tasting Kitchen with a couple friends, we were standing at a table by the bar, and literally at the table next to us, hanging with a group of friends, was Emma Watson, aka Hermione from Harry Potter. Couple minutes later I notice one of the friends is Tom Felton, aka Draco. Then, like five minutes after that, I notice a third HP cast member, the kid that played Neville. So, yeah, drank next to half the cast from Harry Potter for a couple hours tonight.

Felton was in a hoodie, jeans, and black baseball cap turned backwards and was hitting on the super hot hostess all night. Dude looked like an ill-dressed, 17-year-old high school kid and the hostess was still all about it. Life just ain't fair.

Though, one of my friends swore Emma made eyes at him multiple times, even though A) her boyfriend was with her, B) my friend is married, and C) he's way too old for her (assuming 11 years her elder is too old - yes? no?).

(Man's age / 2) + 7 is the formula.

46 year old man --> 30 year old femme is the floor. This means Kat Dennings is right in my wheelhouse.
TCTTS
AG
This is good to know!
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS
AG
Weird that he posted this all these weeks later, but if the camera were to pan to the right just a bit, two of my friends and I would be right there in the background...

TCTTS
AG
Currently at CVS buying Cinnamon Toast Crunch in line behind Juliette Lewis. I am 10 years old again in more ways than one.
schmendeler
AG
Tell her you're there for the gang bang
jeffk
AG
TCTTS said:

Currently at CVS buying Cinnamon Toast Crunch in line behind Juliette Lewis. I am 10 years old again in more ways than one.

Just curious - How much does a box of cereal cost at a California CVS? I'm picturing the prices here in Texas and they're always almost 50% higher at drug stores than at HEB.
TCTTS
AG
I bought a box and and less than half a gallon of milk and I think it was around $7 total. I wasn't really paying attention.
Icecream_Ag
S
TCTTS said:

I bought a box and and less than half a gallon of milk and I think it was around $7 total. I wasn't really paying attention.
that's why I shop at Aldi. Knockoff brands, but a box of cereal and half gallon of milk is like $4.00. Yes I lolpoor and penny pinch my milk and cereal

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.